LaFerrari LMP1 | FerrariChat

LaFerrari LMP1

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by bmagni, Jan 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bmagni

bmagni Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    #1 bmagni, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    LMP1 or FXXXX?

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That's nothing like an LMP 1 car would look like. That's a mule testing V6 Turbo F1engine.

Ferrari hasn't finished 1 Overall at LeMans since 1965 and with Audi, Porsche,and Toyota
    spending hundreds of millions of dollars on LMP 1 Ferrari would have a very slim chance of
    success against the might of VAG and Toyota.

4. bmagni

bmagni Karting

Mar 10, 2006
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Very early prototype could be. We all now LMP1's don't look like that.

But why all the wings and stuff to test an engine? To put it through the same forces as in F1?

Should've put a "?" in the topic title.

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No. LMP 1 chassis are totally different than GT chassis and the body work would have to reflect that.

Yes

Yes

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't know if i'm wrong but to me it looks like a MC12 test mule. Especially the rear car's section.

7. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    Laferrari FXX? anybody confirmed this project ?

8. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    This is most likely Ferrari running their turbo V6, testing out different maps etc. F1 will be a game of who has the most clever drivetrain maps

Mercedes are actually testing their new V6 with half an F1 chassis mounted with sidepods, wheels on a dyno simulating different circuits, and fans formed into the sidepods simulating cooling at speed. This is per auto und motorsport a few days ago.

9. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    This car has a V6 Turbo engine, which is less than half the length of the LaF's V12? If so, why is the wheelbase longer than on the LaF?

10. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    Has 458 GT3 wheels with slicks.

So what about this possibility: test mule for GT version of 458 replacement with turbo engine?

11. Argosy

Argosy Formula Junior

Mar 8, 2013
    I believe that the 458 replacement will still be aluminium based. This is carbon-fibre mono.
    It also doesn't look anything like an LaF in proportions... the front overhang is smaller, the wheelbase is longer. I find it hard to believe it would be a LaFXX as XX models have been based on the same body as the base car.

so, there are 3 possible solutions to this conundrum

1. It's a one-off commissioned by a (very)wealthy customer.
    2. It's a some sort of a LMP1 mule.
    3. It's a testbed for the F1 V6 turbo, though I find this very unlikely due to the much greater mass and completely different aero of this car to the F1 2014.

12. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Jim I don't disagree with you but.... why the camouflage then? Why try to hide the body outlines and details of a test mule?

There has to be some reason why this is covered up.

13. dennymeister

dennymeister Karting

Jan 30, 2013
  14. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    my guess - it's a LF tub simply repurposed into a rolling test mule; no way it's an LMP car. Probably using a mix of parts underneath from LF and/or the GT cars, since it's practically the only way to get "real" miles on a new motor.

the camo is just "standard operating procedure" - take a look at Porsche 919 still in testing, let alone the new Corvettes at Daytona today....if nothing else, the PR department can use this to get the brand mentioned and/or put static out there. That, plus paranoia is a core competence in this sport...

It has the triangular KERS sticker, so it's a hybrid, GT class for near term will not have KERS (GT3, GT2) - with due respect to Jim's own car

Ferrari is likely to have a rough(er) time in all GT racing in 2014....new entrants, rules less favorable...but those cars will be 458-derived for quite a while. The factory and Michelotto have some work to do to keep the GT cars near the front.

just my $0.02

15. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    There are hints below
    It seems to be a test bed on wheels for different tech in different areas

AF Ferrari, Le Mans 2013
    Ferrari will return to the Le Mans 24 Hours in pursuit of outright victory "sooner or later", according to company president Luca di Montezemolo.

Di Montezemolo has admitted that Ferrari is already developing technology that could find a home in a car built to next year's LMP1 rulebook and powered by a version of its new 1.6-litre V6 turbo engine.

AUTOSPORT revealed Ferrari's interest in a new Le Mans programme last month.

"We are working on some technology innovation that we are testing at the moment, so this is the first time in which, theoretically, there could be the possibility of thinking about Le Mans," he said.

"There have been a few weeks where I have begun to think of the possibility, if the rules go in the right direction that I expect, maybe to do sooner or later Le Mans with a Ferrari car to win."

The latest comments from di Montezemolo suggests that Ferrari's evaluations of the 2014 LMP1 rulebook are further down the line that his own previous remarks or those of Antonella Coletta, who runs the marque's non-Formula 1 programmes.

F1 BUDGET CAP BOOSTS LMP1 CHANCE

Di Montezemolo explained that the F1 budget cap, which is due to be introduced for 2015, could give Ferrari the capacity to undertake an LMP1 programme in the World Endurance Championship, which includes Le Mans.

Ferrari at 1973 Le Mans 24 Hours
    "I cannot say to 100 people, go away and find a job, so this could be also a possibility to have some of my people to work in this direction," he said.

The first factory Ferrari prototype programme since 1973 (pictured) would not be possible before 2016, di Montezemolo said.

New regulations for F1 and LMP1 that come into force next year both allow for an increase in the amount of energy that can be retrieved by the cars' hybrid systems.

16. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK

True, this is not an LMP1 prototype.

Audi, Porsche and Toyota have not finished 1st in an F1 race since... never (Porsche won just one F1 race, only due to Ferrari's absence. Gurney gives Porsche its sole win | Formula 1 | Formula 1 news, live F1 | ESPN F1). The cost of F1 is much higher than endurance racing. Ferrari's budget in 2004 was more than $500.000.000; nowadays it is $200.000.000.

PS: We saw what the might of Toyota did in F1... LOL!!!

17. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    +1
    Some people that pretend they know everything should do a little search before coming up with smart comments. LDM has said quite a few times in the past weeks that they might consider Le Mans if.....
    In the meantime they are testing some power train components to see how their current knowledge could help in Le Mans.

Napolis I am sorry but sometimes your hatred (jealousy) towards Ferrari clouds your judgement ;-)

18. SlvSurfer

SlvSurfer Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2005
    Monaco/Canada
    BOOM!

19. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    We saw what Red Bull did vs Ferrari in F1

ROTFLMAO

F1 today bores me to tears.

Personally I wouldn't watch an F 1 race if Miss Sweden offered to sleep with me and Meg on a Yacht in the harbor at Monoco which did happen the last time I went to an F1 race.

20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    What did they really do mate? 8 Championships versus 31. Good luck with that!!!

Endurance racing must be the most boring event after thw whole 3 days of rallying. Honestly, who follows a freacking race for 24 long hours??? Miss Scandinavia wouldn't suffice to have me ready for 24 long hours...

21. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    #21 DeSoto, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
    I´m pretty sure that the Scuderia could race and win Le Mans if they wanted to. But I´m also pretty sure that the Scuderia can´t race and win in F1 and Le Mans at the SAME TIME. At least with current regs.

BTW, Napolis, not long ago you said that you couldn´t understand why Ferrari did not enter Le Mans. You said that they could find the money to race F1 and prototypes at the same time and that they almost were idiots for not doing it. Now it seems that you say the opposite. What has changed?

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Perhaps you missed it.

Red Bull won the F1 Championship this year Ferrari didn't.

Ferrari F1 did sell a lot of Cancer. I'll give them that.

23. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO The Maserati brand needs to run LMP 1 not Ferrari

24. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I could be wrong here but were you not looking at LMP1 yourself ?
    If so and as you say Ferrari would have a very slim chance does that not also mean you would have almost no chace then ?

At the end of the day I hope to see more teams join all across all forms of motorsport. it could do with a spice up. So many rules and regs and alot not for the right reasons. I miss the days of old so much more passion and action but we paid the price in alot of good men.

25. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Lol and you think drinking Red Bull is any better for you ;)