Ferrari track cars (599XX Evo, FXX, FXX K) and their competitors | FerrariChat

Ferrari track cars (599XX Evo, FXX, FXX K) and their competitors

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Keen, Aug 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
    Hi everyone!
    I've had the idea to make this new thread in order to have a place where it can be possible to compare these beautiful track cars. I know that, for example, there is already a thread specifically meant for the FXX K, but my intention is to have a place where every technical specification, every known lap time, info and question related to these cars can be freely discussed, in the same way it happens, e.g., for the road cars in the "LaFerrari vs P1 vs 918" thread.

These track-only versions are much more rare, thus it is hard to find lap times or owners' direct impressions; still, there are events where some of these beasts are on track together.
    Because of this, I thought that there would be no better place than here in order to gather rare information from people who have the actual possibilities of making direct contact with these beauties.

For each car of the thread, an image and a brief description of technical specifications such as power, downforce, weight and gear time-shift are reported: I searched for the most possible accurate data, however everybody who knows better is free to intervene and suggest changes to the listed values (indeed, this is actually the purpose of the thread, i.e. to provide a valuable source for the peculiarities of these cars).
    As you'll see, there are some voices about some cars' specs which are marked with a "?": this happens because I couldn't find any reliable info about that specific parameter; as a consequence, I hope that the great knowledge of the people on this board will help me fill these voids. ;-)

Now, each car which is argument of the thread will be briefly described, as previously explained.
    Thanks everyone in advance for reading and, I hope, for your contributions to the whole discussion. :)

1) Ferrari 599XX Evo

http://www.autospies.com/images/users/mserafim/main/bologna-motor-show-2-2011-00008.jpg

- Power: 750 hp
    - Dry weight: 1345 kg
    - Aero: DRS, maximum downforce of 440 kg at 200 km/h
    - Gear time-shift: 60 ms

2) Ferrari FXX Evoluzione

http://www.thetorquereport.com/37691_fxx_pacchetto_01.jpg

- Power: 860 hp
    - Dry weight: 1155 kg
    - Aero: Maximum downforce of ? kg at ? km/h
    - Gear time-shift: 60 ms

3) Ferrari FXX K

http://www.topgear.com/sites/default/files/styles/1536w/public/images/big-read/carousel/2015/07/587f14eb808625359927c5bf7d8f489d/front_3-4_a.jpg?itok=nv8s-dwv

- Power: 1036 hp
    - Kerb weight: 1490 kg (claimed to be 90 kg lighter than LaFerrari, which it seems was measured at 1580 kg kerb weight by Quattroruote)
    - Aero: Maximum downforce of 540 kg at 200 km/h
    - Gear time-shift: ? ms

4) Aston Martin Vulcan

http://www.autoblog.gr/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Aston-Martin-Vulcan-Nurburgring-17.jpg

- Power: 830 hp
    - Kerb weight: 1300 kg
    - Aero: Maximum downforce of 1360 kg at 322 km/h

5) Maserati MC12 Corsa

http://car-revs-daily.carrevsdailycom1.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/Car-Revs-Daily.com-2006-Maserati-MC12-Corsa-50.jpg

- Power: 755 hp
    - Kerb weight: 1200 kg
    - Aero: Maximum downforce of ? kg at ? km/h

6) Mclaren P1 GTR

http://www.topgear.com/sites/default/files/styles/16x9_1858w/public/news-listicle/image/10_5.jpg?itok=TwkJXgSl

- Power: 986 hp
    - Kerb weight: 1440 kg
    - Aero: DRS, maximum downforce of 660 kg at 241 km/h

7) Pagani Zonda Revolucion

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125087369@N05/15443980373/sizes/l/

- Power: 800 hp
    - Dry weight: 1070 kg
    - Aero: DRS, Maximum downforce of more than 1500 kg at ? km/h
    - Gear time-shift: 20 ms

2. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012

I really love these three competitors. Amazing cars!

3. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    FXX K is 1255kg dry, according to Ferrari.

4. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
    #4 Keen, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    To my knowledge, the 1255 kg dry weight was an early figure for LaFerrari, which however has never been actually confirmed.
    LaFerrari owner manual claims a weight of 1480 kg with lightweight options, but on-road kerb weight for the car was measured at 1580 kg by Quattroruote and at 1585 kg by Motor Trend.

Now, regarding the FXX K, as far as I know, Ferrari never released a dry weight nor a kerb weight figure for the car: indeed, even official Ferrari FXX K website doesn't reference anything about weight.
    The only thing that we know for sure is that Ferrari claimed to have dropped 90 kg from LaFerrari's kerb weight: as a consequence, knowing the LaF kerb values reported above it is logical to expect a kerb weight in the 1400 kgs range for the FXX K.

Still, I'm open to other info. :)

Regarding the MC12 Corsa: does somebody know how much downforce the car generates? I'm really curious about it.

5. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    The K has 1050 bhp not 1036

6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Blame that on the stupid imperial BHP we still use over here...

BTW, what does the LaFerrari manual say about the car's dry weight?

7. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
    Actually the K has 1050 metric horsepowers (PS), which correspond to 1036 bhp and not to 1050 bhp as you said: when I wrote for the FXX K, I was referring to the bhp value (the same goes for the P1 GTR), but I didn't specify it, so in that case it's my bad.

FXX K: 1050 PS = 1036 bhp
    P1 GTR: 1000 PS = 986 bhp

When I discuss power, I usually take "hp" as metric horsepower (thus hp = PS, and not as brake horsepower (bhp)), so, with that in mind, here's a clarifying power refresh:

1) 599XX Evo: 750 hp
    2) FXX Evoluzione: 860 hp
    3) FXX K: 1050 hp
    4) Aston Martin Vulcan: 830 hp
    5) Maserati MC12 Corsa: 755 hp
    6) Mclaren P1 GTR: 1000 hp
    7) Pagani Zonda Revolucion: 800 hp

8. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
  9. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    stick the F50GT in there too?

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
  11. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Why? That was a proposed race car. It's like a adding LeMans prototypes; they just don't belong in here.

12. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Never read it to be honest. I don't really care as the car is soooo agile and blindingly quick. On mountain / winding country roads it is mind boggling what you can do with it.. You should see my undertray from the amount of times I've bottomed out - not because of bad roads but just the sheer speed and braking.

You can really make this car dance

But I'll go and have a look at the manual anyway!!!

13. No Lotus

No Lotus Rookie

Mar 6, 2013
    Does the 599XX Evo have the trunk-mounted fan like the 599XX? It's got the same fan exhaust in place of the taillights as the 599XX, but I've not heard whether it actually retains the fan of the 599XX.

14. Johnny_Bravo

Johnny_Bravo Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2012
    True, but it's faster than all the others.

15. echalupa

echalupa Rookie

Dec 31, 2013
    SanAntonio / Dallas
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Yes - the EVO does have the trunk-mounted fan.

16. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
    I thought about it at the beginning; however, despite those in this thrad being track cars, they are not subjected to any race regulation, while on the contrary the F50 GT (full race car) was back in the nineties, that's why I didn't add it.

;-)

Good question.
    Given the increased downforce over the "standard" 599XX and the retained exhaust vents disposition, I personally think that yes, the 599XX Evo kept the trunk-mounted fans.

Yes, the F50 GT would be faster than the others here.
    However, with reference to the "stock" 750 hp F50 GT (not the well-known modified 001 chassis), I think that, out of all the track cars listed in this thread, the Revolucion and the MC12 Corsa are those which could be less far from its lap times.

Why do I think this?

- For the Revolucion because of its low weight and because of the fact that, unlike the Mclaren P1 GTR, or the Ferrari's XXs (which are mostly modified versions of their road-legal counterparts), it was specifically designed from zero for track-only duties (this is also true for the Vulcan, tbh): CLK GTR engine, track suspensions, Bosch Motorsport TC with 12 different set-up and awfully fast X-Trac racing gearbox. Finally - and this is what makes the difference most in my book - I think this because of the quite huge amount of downforce that it is capable to generate.
    - Regarding the MC12 Corsa, well, basically because it is a slightly modified MC12 GT1 race car, which was an awfully fast beast. Too bad that info about Corsa's true potential and/or set lap times are so rare.

Now, quick info I gathered about some of these cars:

- The Aston Martin Vulcan is still in its early development test days, however it seems that at Snetterton it already registered lap times considerably quicker than the best ones achieved by the fastest GT3 cars. I honestly find this to be impressive!
    - The P1 GTR was tested at the Red Bull Ring: it registered a lap time of 1:32.9. As a comparison, the LaFerrari run it in 1:38.95. It was however said that the P1 GTR could have gone much faster (also, the registered lap was without launch control).
    - As probably many of you will know, the Zonda R run the Top Gear test track in 1:08.5, a tenth of a second faster than a 2005 600+ bhp Aston Martin DBR9 GT1 race car.
    Obviously, despite there are no lap times info yet, each of the 5 built Zonda Revolucion is way faster (lighter, more powerful, more downforce, DRS, new F1 CCMR carbon brakes etc.) than anything the Zonda R could hope to achieve.

17. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    No it does not.

18. echalupa

echalupa Rookie

Dec 31, 2013
    SanAntonio / Dallas
    Full Name:
    Ed
    My bad - I just looked to confirm and you are correct, there is no fan in the EVO.

19. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
    This is interesting and I honestly wouldn't have told it.
    Thanks for the info.
    Despite the loss of the fans the level of downforce generated by the 599XX increased: this shows the great aero-work undergone by Ferrari and how they just went for a more extreme route in the case of the Evo.

If I can ask: where did you look to confirm? I couldn't personally find anything trustable online.

20. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #20 Napolis, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    "and their competitors"

Maximum downforce numbers are meaningless.

NET downforce and aerodynamic Efficiency (Net downforce/drag) are what count.

For the record SCG 003c's NET downforce is 900KG at 180KPH and our aerodynamic efficiency is over 4. It's dry weight is 1150KG.

Our track day version SCG 003CS is not restricted or ballasted to GT 3 rules and has 800HP in sprint tune/ 650 HP in endurance tune and weighs the same 1150KG dry. Should one want time attack tune we can give you 1000HP. Our Ring Time with 100KG of ballast and 500 restricted HP on race tires was 6:42 in CS setup we'd kiss 6:30. Should any of you want to check one out we'll be racing two of them at the Ring 6 Hour on September 5TH and testing both a few days before at SPA.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
    I agree with this. Sadly the reported maximum values (furthermore at different speeds for the different cars) are the only ones which can be found on the internet and which are declared by constructors.

Obviously, for the same reason, values of aero efficiency or drag, at least, are even harder to find.

Your car is a masterpiece, the badge of the statement "a dream which comes true". Really, really congratulations for what you managed to achieve with your work and your resources.

Speaking about raw numbers, they are clearly mindblowing, especially the huge amount of downforce reached at that specific speed. But how would you define here the concept of NET downforce?

22. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #22 Napolis, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Maximum Downforce minus induced lift at a specific speed. At the figure/speed I quoted, NET Downforce of 900KG our car makes 600KG of lift so Maximum downforce would be 1500KG at that speed (180 KPH)

Thanks!

23. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
    Thanks to you for your valuable information.
    And good luck to you for the continuation of your amazing project! ;-)

24. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Kudos Mr. Mann!!!

25. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    We don't know that. At any rate, it does not matter. An F1 car is even faster, should we include that too?

As for the rest, they would need to have same tyres and optimal settings in order for them to be compared.