Official Ferrari 333 SP thread | FerrariChat

Official Ferrari 333 SP thread

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by NürScud, Nov 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Hello members. I've checked very carefully to see if there is another identical thread about the Ferrari 333 SP and i didn't find anything. So, i think that it would be great to have a thread related to the iconic 333 SP, because in my opinion it is one of the finest Ferrari racing cars, it is a true beauty and also it would be really great to see and learn stories about it, photos and everything that it's related with it. Corrections are more than welcome!

The text underneath is a copy-paste from a page related to cars and the history about them but if i would upload the link here, it wouldn't be available to see it (i've tried it before).

Shall we begin?

Exactly 20 years after Ferrari last raced a sports prototype, the Maranello based firm surprised the world with the 333 SP in 1993. Jointly developed with Dallara, it was Ferrari's first new prototype racer in over two decades. Designed specifically for the new IMSA prototype regulations, the 333 SP was intended for customer racing only. The impulse for the project was given by Giampiero Moretti, founder of MOMO and Gian Luigi Buitoni, president of Ferrari North America. The program was nick-named 'Il Sogno Americano', the American Dream.

IMSA regulations specified that the engine used could not displace over four litres and had to be derived from a road car. The V12 used was similar in design to Ferrari's contemporary Formula 1 engines, but it was homologated because it would power the upcoming Ferrari F50 road car. For the F50 the 3.5 litre F1 engine was increased in size to 4.7 litre and then reduced again for the 333 SP. All technical aspects, like the 5 valves per cylinder setup, were retained for both the F50 and 333 SP engine. Like many of its legendary predecessors the 333 SP was named after its engine's unitary displacement of 333 cc.

Much of the design work for the chassis and body was done in Dallara's windtunnel. Following the regulations, the 333 SP featured a flat bottom chassis. Carbon-fibre and other composites were used for the chassis and body, resulting in a very light but rigid monocoque construction. Double wishbones and push-rod operated coil springs/dampers were used all-round. The rolling chassis was not much different from the contemporary F1 designs, except for the increased width to accommodate a 'passenger.'

Completed, the 333 SP truely looked the part, a prototype more than worthy to bear the name Ferrari. Throughout its racing career, various modifications were made to the body, including a longer nose, but it did not loose its characteristic look. Apart from its looks and performance, it will be remembered best because of its sound. With a red line far beyond 10,000 rpm, the V12 produced a high pitched sound, pure all the way from idle to its maximum revolutions. On Spa Francorchamps it could be heard all around the 7 km track.

After thorough testing late in 1993, the 333 SP made its public debut at the Palm Beach Cavallino Classic in January of 1994. Three months later it made its racing debut at the Road Atlanta Sprint race. Ferrari's return to prototype racing was a return in style with a 1-2 finish in the first race and a stunning 1-2-3 finish in the next. Even though the cars were run by privateers only, three more victories were scored before end of the season. With a revised nose, the 333 SP was entered in the 1995 Sebring 12 Hours. A victory was had in this legendary race; the first Sebring win for the marque in 23 years.

More victories were scored, resulting in the IMSA driver's and manufacturer's championship in 1995. A natural progression would be an assault on the Le Mans 24 Hours. For long distance racing a special version was created with a larger fuel tank and a slightly detuned engine. In 1995, the only 333 SP entered had little success at Le Mans. A year later one of the 333 SPs entered qualified second and set the fastest lap in the race, only to retire after an accident. In 1997 a sixth place finish was scored. Le Mans remains as the only important endurance race not won by 333 SP in its lifetime.

After an already successful racing career, the best was yet to come in 1998. In the 1967 Daytona 24 Hours, Ferrari booked one of their most legendary victories, with the 1-2-3 finishing cars crossing the line side-by-side. With a further revised body and updated engine, the MOMO team entered the 333 SP in the 1998 running of the 24 Hours race. Three decades after the legendary victory, a Ferrari won the race again, it was also the marque's first 24-hours victory since that historic 1967 win. In the following years, the 333 SP was raced with considerable success both in Europe and in the US. The 2002 Daytona 24 Hours was the car's last official race, finishing off a very successful career that stretched over eight seasons.

The 333 SP's performance and great reliability record made it a popular pick among sports car racers. By the end of its career, 40 examples were produced, an incredible amount for any prototype racer, let alone a Ferrari. Some of these were directly bought by collectors and were not even raced. The first 14 cars were constructed by Dallara, the next 26 by Michelotto. Many of them were later modified by the owners with revised sides, noses and wings to suit their particular needs, usually with help from Michelotto. In the final seasons some chassis were fitted with Judd engines, mostly for cost reasons.

Spanning over eight seasons, the 333 SP's racing car was not only remarkably long but also very successful. Between 1994 and 2002, the car won major championships on both sides of the Atlantic, scoring 56 outright victories along the way. It was also among the very first of a new generation of sports racers and its influence is still visible to this day. The 333 SP certainly ranks among the finest Ferrari racing car and the howl of its sophisticated is still without equal.

The very first 333 SP built, chassis 001 was extensively tested from late 1993. Early in 1994, it was crashed heavily by Mauro Baldi requiring a rebuilt around a new tub. Never raced in again, it joined the fabulous collection of Yoshiho Matsuda the following year. Among the subsequent owners was Brazilian collector Carlos Monteverde. Today it is owned by an American enthusiast.

The final 333 SP constructed by Dallara, this example was sold directly to a Mexican collector. Although fitted with the latest specification body and engine, it was never raced in anger. Later in the decade, it was acquired by the Doyle-Risi Racing Team as a back-up car. The services of chassis 015 were ultimately not needed and the car remained un-raced.

Chassis 016 was the first example built by Michelotto. It was raced by Fredy Lienhard's Lista team in the late 1990s. Lienhard was frequently joined behind the wheel by Momo founder Gianpiero Moretti. Together they secured a victory in the 1998 Watkins Glen round of the North American series. It was the last race for Moretti and to honour that occasion the car has been restored to that day's striking Momo livery. Now retired, the car sees frequent track day outings at special events.

Chassis 019 Delivered new to the Doran-Moretti Racing team ahead of the 1998 season, this 333 SP was prepared specifically for that year's American endurance races. Liveried in the ever striking MOMO colours, it was entered in the Daytona 24 Hours for Arie Luyendyk, Didier Theys, Mauro Baldi and Giampiero Moretti himself, who was in the last season of his illustrious career. After a close fight with another 333 SP, chassis 019 won the race. It was the first time in over 30 years that a Ferrari had finished on the podium at Daytona. Theys, Baldi and Moretti then used the 333 SP to also win the Sebring 12 Hours. Chassis 019 was only the third car to win both at Daytona and Sebring in the same season. The highly successful 333 SP was then shipped to Europe where it retired from the Monza 1000 km and then finished third in class at Le Mans. This would be the car's final contemporary outing after which it was completely rebuilt. This, the most successful of all 333 SP racers, has since been owned by prominent American collectors and was also featured in Cavallino Magazine.

British privateer racer Ray Bellm acquired this 333 SP to compete in the International Sports Racing Series. Fielded by Lanzante, the car only made a handful of appearances with a 2nd at Brno in 1998 as the best result. It was subsequently sold on to Dick Waaijenberg, who raced it with fellow Dutchman Alexander van der Lof in the ISRS in the following two seasons. Following its contemporary career, it has been regularly used for track days.

Built in 1998, this 333 SP was sold new to Jean-Pierre Jabouille for his JB Giesse Team. It was piloted that year to the International Sports Racing Series Championship by Emmanuel Collard and Vincenzo Sospiri. The car was driven to six wins in the eight rounds it competed in. Mauro Baldi and Laurent Redon scored one more ISRS win in 1999 before chassis 022 was retired from active duty. Now owned by a Dutch collector.

Finished in the 'Rosso Marlboro' also used by the Ferrari Formula 1 team at the time, this 333 SP was bought new by an Austrian collector. He regularly used the car at track days in Europe before offering it at RM Auctions' 2008 Leggenda e Passione sale at the Ferrari factory. The bidding stopped at EUR 500,000, which was not enough to meet the reserve. Chassis 027 did eventually find a new owner.

Having mastered his F40 LM, this 333 SP provided a step up for the late Benny Caiola. The noted Ferrari collector acquired the car directly from the factory and in the following years regularly entered it in a variety of track days. The 333 SP grew out to be his favourite racing car even after acquiring an FXX. Following his death, Caiola's collection was offered by Gooding at their 2011 Scottsdale sale. The cherished machine found a new owner for $781,000.

This 333 SP was bought by the BMS Scuderia Italia team and raced by father and son Angelo and Marco Zadra in the now renamed SportsRacing World Cup. From 2000 onwards Angelo Zadra was joined by others, Enzo Calderari and Lilian Bryner, resulting in improved results with several second place finishes as the highest rank for the car. Chassis 029 was retired from active duty at the end of 2001 and has since been used for track days.

Acquired new in June of 1999 by Jean-Pierre Jabouille, chassis 030 was immediately entered in the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Driven by Jerome Policand, Mauro Baldi and Christian Pescatori, it qualified 14th but failed to finish. Fielded by the now renamed JMB Giesse team, it scored three victories in the 2000 Sports Racing World Cup in the hands of David Terrien and Christian Pescatori.

Like many of the final 333 SPs produced, this chassis was sold directly to a collector. Its first, German owner had it finished in an unusual but attractive yellow. Unfortunately, a bankruptcy meant that he had little time to enjoy his new Ferrari. Eventually sold through Eberlein, chassis 034 found a new and very enthusiastic owner. In the following years, the yellow 333 SP has been regularly used at track days around Europe.

Completed in 2001, this 333 SP was sold directly to a German collector and was not raced in period. The first owner quickly sold it on to an enthusiast in the United States, who at the time also owned chassis 033. He has regularly exercised the very quick machine at a variety of events in North America.

Among the very last 333 SPs built, this chassis was acquired new by Risi Competizione for the 2001 Daytona 24 Hours. Piloted by the highly experienced team of Ralf Kelleners, David Brabham, Allan McNish and Eric van de Poele, chassis 037 was the fastest qualifier on the Daytona Speedway. Sadly the race ended early with an engine failure. Still wearing its Daytona colours, the ex-Risi 333 SP is seen in track days around Europe.

The penultimate 333 SP, this new for 2002 chassis was dispatched to Risi Competizione for the Daytona 24 Hours. Starting sixth, it was piloted by Eric van de Poele, Stefan Johansson and David Brabham. Sadly the final outing for a 333 SP at Daytona ended during the 17th hour with an accident. No longer wearing its Risi Competizione colours, chassis 040 has been regularly used at track days around Europe.

PS: Chassis #40 is currently owned by Peter Mann aka ChalStrad

2. Greg23

Greg23 Karting
    Owner

Jun 1, 2011
    CH, ITA, USA
    Full Name:
    Greg B.
    There will be the SP reunion this weekend in Daytona at Finali Mondiali!

3. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    I will be there with chassis 40, the last Ferrari 333 to race at Daytona in 2002 and there will be 9 333s in total....

4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    These are great news! 9 333s at the same place. Can't be better!

I'm looking forward to see some pictures.

5. Sapo117

Sapo117 Rookie

Apr 13, 2015
    Bergamo - Italy
    Full Name:
    Roberto

To be honest I am more into waiting a video. Or just a sound recorded. 333 is eargasm

6. Valerian

Valerian Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    George
    Is there particular reason you don't have original livery on your 333SP, Peter, if I can ask?

7. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Do we know the last time there was one for sale and the price ?

"Rosso Marlboro" ahahaah just love the name.

8. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    holy crap and I've been on the fence about going. Are all of these cars going out? When? I've looked at the schedule but am having trouble figuring out what is running when.

9. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #9 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have all the models, the book by Seibert, and one of I think about 50 Girard-Perregaux special edition watches. But no real cars...but not many do. I remember when these were 5-600K. That of course was just the beginning. I think I saw that they are good for about 50 hours or so? That sounds low although these are very high strung engines. I need to read the book. I assume Dan will be there?

https://www.abebooks.com/Ferrari-333-SP-Cavalleria-Number-13/15080294913/bd
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #10 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    starmoto likes this.
  11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  12. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    27 wasn't for sale at that time, essentially still is not. The car is in Daytona. The one who passed him is me....

13. Jota 5084

Jota 5084 Formula 3

May 18, 2006
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Eric Andersson
    I saw 4 of these wonderful cars race back in -98, it was at the ISRS race on Anderstorp.

14. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    You are the man! Love that video and what a beautiful noise on a beautiful track! Can you post some pictures of your car?

15. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    Here is a video of just the exhaust from the night run at Daytona - https://youtu.be/WGE6M75McPI

I had cameras mounted to chassis 28 the entire weekend and have a LOT of video :)

starmoto likes this.
  16. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    #16 Juan-Manuel Fantango, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    That is the most badass video I have seen in a while!!!! Just awesome -what a sound and sight. A great place to put a camera. What kind of camera? Very good quality. And the sound! The Fire! What were your top rpms? I saw it of course, but not from that angle lol. Great job and Thanks! Good drive by the way. What is your driving experience? This is totally driver heel/toe right? No computer shifting were everyone is a "shifter Hero" on this car right?

17. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Fantastic!

Thank you for sharing these photos.

:)

18. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    It was an amazing emotion being out there. It really is what the Ferrari legend is all about

NGooding likes this.
  19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The 333SPs this past weekend were great. Peter, thanks for bringing yours out as well as the FXXK and F1 cars.

Does anyone know more about the 333SP parked near the lakeside lot that had the cover on? I was only there Saturday and never saw it move let alone with the cover removed...was hoping to see it in the garages with the other 7...

20. Nelsonc275

Nelsonc275 Formula 3

Sep 27, 2013
    I saw that too with the front left corner of it uncovered a bit and blowing in the wind.

21. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Imho Rob should create new thread for Ferrari Prototypes racing:

Where to post photos/info of Ferrari 333 SP, 512 S, 512 M, etc
    Challenge and GTs have their own. Why not these prototypes

starmoto likes this.
  22. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
  23. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen

I'm glad you enjoyed the video!! Like I said before I have a LOT more footage from #28 from the entire weekend. I'm very happy with the result of the exhaust camera, I mounted my GoPro Hero 5 black on part of the body where the wing extends up so you don't get blasted with wind noise and it's incredible audio for how loud it is between the exhaust tips.

Unfortunately I wasn't driving, maybe one day!! The owner said he topped out the car in 6th gear the next day but no idea what speed that is because it doesn't have a speedo. Also I believe the car is all *you*, no ABS, no traction control, for shifting I'm not 100% sure though.

24. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen