Trouble in Paradise? | FerrariChat

Trouble in Paradise?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by joe sackey, Feb 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Az458

Az458 Karting

Apr 24, 2015
  2. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Just this morning I was thinking to myself, "how do so many cars have so few miles?" My initial reaction, however, is that 99% are, in fact, just not driven.

I also really respect Bud Root and always thought of him as a straight shooter.

-Joe

3. Greg23

Greg23 Karting
    Owner

Jun 1, 2011
    CH, ITA, USA
    Full Name:
    Greg B.
  4. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    When I picked up my F12 it was rolled to zero from I think 30 delivery km. I found that kind of odd... Central europe.

5. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    many makes have that possibility to reset the speedo to zero , only the mieage has to be less then 1ookm. It is for testdriving the car.

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    No way that Ferrari allows this, especially with needing ''factory approval''.

Me thinks sour grapes of a failed Ferrari salesman. How the **** do you only sell 2m worth out there!?

7. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Everything about that article smells like ****.

I agree selling only $2m worth of Ferrari is nothing amazing in Palm Beach. That's one use California a month.

And i doubt Ferrari would take part of this. Way too much exposure for very little benefits (and of course, illegal..).

8. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    What do you mean? It is a fact that the dealer is able to reset the mileage.

9. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Well all I'm saying is I know from my own experience they(dealer) are able to reset it to zero.

10. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K

Do you have any facts to back this up? I suspect not.

The DEIS system logs on and authenticates with Ferrari during use. It also uploads activity logs to the factory. It does this for all kinds of usage, and frequently. Not just for odometer resets. That is the source of the claim in the filing that Ferrari were aware of it. The ability to set the odometer (for perfectly legal reasons) has been there since the dawn of time.

From the filing:

Quote:
    "Each time the Deis Tester device is utilized on a Ferrari vehicle, authorization is obtained from the Ferrari entities via a wireless network connection. During the process, vehicle diagnostics and procedures performed with the Deis Tester device are automatically uploaded to a Ferrari database."

Quote:
    "The Ferrari entities were aware of the operation because the technician had to obtain logon information from Ferrari N.A. to use the device"

The question whether that makes Ferrari responsible for the alleged clocking?

11. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv

That would have really freaked me out.

12. Racer44

Racer44 Karting

Jul 18, 2009
    Calgary
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Love these "No, Ferrari would NEVER let this happen " people.......ya they would and they have been caught.

13. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i want one!