LaFerrari onboard at Targa Tasmania rally stage | FerrariChat

LaFerrari onboard at Targa Tasmania rally stage

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Rainey, Apr 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rainey

Rainey Karting

May 29, 2006
    Tasmania, Australia
    A little spectacular vision of the Laf doing some skidding and whatnot in Australia. One of only 2 in the country and doing what it does best.. lots of powerslides and skidding. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTx8j__oWU0

2. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    How completely stupid. Depressing to see people do that to a car especially at slow speeds. To each his own, but it certainly is a way to show off. Ugh

3. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Event organizers have been unsuccessful at removing parked cars from the route and simply covered their exposed fenders with yellow cardboard & caution tape - crazy.

4. Rainey

Rainey Karting

May 29, 2006
    Tasmania, Australia
    What are they meant to be doing with their La Ferrari's? Statically displaying them at car festivals, or using the power it has? Also, Targa Tasmania is staged on public roads, past peoples houses, sometimes it just isn't possible to move every single car away.

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

OMG. Whether those streets are open or closed, I find it amazing that event is held in such close proximity to power poles, houses, etc. Also no helmets? Even in Monaco they erect substantial barriers and Armco to protect both the drivers and spectators.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this post, but I honestly don't think that is a 'smart' event whatsoever.

6. Rainey

Rainey Karting

May 29, 2006
    Tasmania, Australia
    He is in a speed limited 'Tour' class of the event. Where the cars are driven in packs of 12 with a lead car and are not supposed to exceed 130kph. He was lagging behind so he could hammer it.

This is what the true competitors experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvwssyLyPAs

7. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Streets and driveways are closed off, I don't see why it's an issue. Congrats to him for actually driving his car. If he hits something he only has himself to blame, so go enjoy the car.

8. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Go to a highway with no speed limits, go to a race track, drive the car the way it was designed to be driven. Burning up expensive Pirelli tyres in such a dangerously silly environment, is simply not what this Ferrari, or any other for that matter, was built for

9. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
  10. Rainey

Rainey Karting

May 29, 2006
    Tasmania, Australia
    I see the logic in this... risk other road users lives as opposed to damaging your precious Pirelli's doing light burnouts in a closed rally stage. Seriously...

11. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    you call THAT a closed rally stage? Come on! You can drive around the streets - even quickly, without being silly. People will still admire your car. Then go to a race track and see what it can do...but remember to wear a helmet because doing power slides at slow speed is one thing while taking it to the limit is another....
    To each his own, I suppose..

I think they even have race tracks "down under" and track days are a common feature...

12. Rainey

Rainey Karting

May 29, 2006
    Tasmania, Australia
    Do I call it a closed rally stage? ...well the Confederation of Australian Motorsports (CAMS) body does, so whatever I think has little relevance but if you want to contest it with them, go right ahead.

13. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    That's my point. The fact that the organizers (whoever they are) thought that a good solution to the problem was to put yellow paper/cardboard and tape (!) around the parked cars speaks to the organizing, or lack thereof, and, to their acknowledgment that those stationary vehicles present a true & present danger. Are you seriously telling me that with an event planned a year in advance, its not possible to make sure that the streets that are to be closed off are free of parked cars by the simple expedient of prior notification? What a joke.

Exactly.

14. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That is the cheapest looking course/event I've ever seen for exotic cars and doesn't look remotely fun. Was this put on by the same organizers for that luxury music festival in the Bahamas recently?

15. Rainey

Rainey Karting

May 29, 2006
    Tasmania, Australia
    Guys, I think you need to look into what Targa Tasmania actually is.. It's not just this one stage, this is the prologue time trial stage to determine starting order of 40 odd point to point stages over 5 days of competition. But in this case the La Ferrari was simply in a showcase 'tour', he was spinning the wheels to entertain the spectators but he was not timed or competing.

16. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Agreed, I think there is perhaps some misunderstanding as to what the event is. In some respects this event is not dissimilar to the Targa Florio of the past, just held in a much more relatively speaking controlled environment.

17. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Positive comment from me, glad to see it used and have a bit of fun. Apart from some worn tires and a little bit of extra wear, nothing is broken. Much rather see this than one in a sealed garage only being let out once a year for a service and parked on some **** golf course.

18. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I'm not commenting on the La Ferrari, the owner, or how he uses his car, that's his business, nor am I commenting on how this one is used relative to others, or, what the 'proper' way is to use a La Ferrari.

I'm also not commenting on the overall event.

I'm simply commenting on this particular aspect of the overall event, and in particular, how the issue of parked cars was addressed.

As Ive already said, the fact that the organizers (whoever they are) thought that a good solution to the problem was to put yellow paper/cardboard and tape (!) around the parked cars speaks to the organizing, or lack thereof, and, to their acknowledgment that those stationary vehicles present a true & present danger.

In any properly-planned event, its possible to make sure that the streets that are to be closed off are free of parked cars by the simple expedient of prior notification.

19. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
  20. Rainey

Rainey Karting

May 29, 2006
    Tasmania, Australia
    #20 Rainey, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    You're right, I guess they should have just called off the whole event and sent everyone home because of that one car. If you had any idea what this event was about I think a single car parked nearby the course on the prologue would be the least of your worries. In fact applying your logic they clearly should have logged half of Tasmania to keep the trees away from the rest of the stages.. Get a grip man, rally has been run like this for decades. Targa Tasmania is not designed for big girls blouses.

Take a look at this video, which features the infamous yellow safety tape protecting the cars from striking letterboxes and the like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7dYwDUshlg

21. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    I think the way the parked cars are handled speaks to poor organizing, no parked cars is safer, that's indisputable and happens to be my opinion, that's all, you're not going to convince me otherwise.