Allocation vs. Dutch Auction for Ferrari Supercars | FerrariChat

Allocation vs. Dutch Auction for Ferrari Supercars

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by sixcarbs, May 8, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    Not sure if this belongs here or in general discussion. I was reading the Preston Henn thread about not getting allocated the latest Supercar and I remembered how I once told people all Ferraris should be allocated by auction or Dutch auction. (This was when run of the 360's and 430's were being marked up by dealers.)

But now that Ferrari is a public company they have an even greater incentive to sell their cars in an auction format to cut out the flippers and maximize their profit.

They should auction off serial numbers each month for the different models they will be producing and allow anyone to enter bids. In a dutch auction the highest bid that sells the entire lot is the price. Oncethat base price is set the auction winners could spec out their options as they see fit.

What's wring with this idea? Would it work? Would Ferrari make more money on the Supercars? Would it cut out the flippers and speculators?

Dutch Auction

2. dcmetro

dcmetro F1 Veteran

Nov 27, 2007
    Paris , France
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    I also suggested to auction the LE ferraris in a previous thread.

Seems like an excellent idea to eradicate flipping

3. cridom60

cridom60 Formula Junior

Feb 2, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    dominique
    +1, the right solution!

4. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Sorry, not a great idea for a few reasons but specifically Ferrrais standpoint.

The whole beauty of their LE system is that it creates sales of non LE cars by customers in the hope they may one day be allocated an LE car. Like any other company they reward loyalty to the brand, quite a normal practice.

Sales of LE cars by auction would remove that incentive, lose many production car sales as well as some of the mystique around the marque and it's 'secret' ways. Sorry, bad idea.

5. F430 Driver

F430 Driver Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2008
    Central New Jersey
    I guess the guy who sued ferrari after having owned all those F cars was not shown loyalty so that is where the system breaks down?