High mileage Enzo or F40?? Which is better? | FerrariChat

High mileage Enzo or F40?? Which is better?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by carzilike, Jul 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carzilike

carzilike Karting

Mar 3, 2016
    North America
    Full Name:
    MMG
    Thinking of going for one. Not sure which makes more sense to buy for the joy of driving, reliability, and long term value retention. The F40 will of course cost less than the Enzo now. I'm not sure if the Enzo will retain value more than the F40 given its a decade newer. The Enzo has significantly more mileage than the F40 also.

If you had the choice between these two with high miles, which would you go with if both were clean and came serviced?

100badboy100 likes this.
  2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The advantage of a high miles Enzo is that you can drive it without worrying about it costing you $10k per week end.

I would highly suggest you drive them before if possible as they are widely different. Both are amazing but not comparable at all. The F40 makes you work for the speed. In the Enzo, it comes easier but it's also much faster and rapid.
    The Enzo is also more comfortable and usable if that is a concern. I also think that an Enzo with a tubi sounds better than an F40 with or without Tubi (unless you go for an illegal LM set up..).

3. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Allways drive them both firts .... you may be surprised ...

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    if comfort is part of the consideration, then dont buy the f40.

5. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    F40 is pure and raw .... indeed :D

6. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    An F40 with well maintained miles is a pretty safe bet, bearing in mind that it is a 30 year old car. If you want to drive, best to avoid low mileage cars as they will be troublesome. Same is true of an Enzo, but to a lesser extent.
    The F40 is the first real supercar, it is the last ferrari made while the Commendatore was still alive, it was designed and developed by people who are magicians at developing racing cars (Michelotto) and it seems never to age...
    The Enzo is, well, an Enzo....

7. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    #7 Bobj, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    F50 is better from a fun, investment and practicality point of view. Pay a bit more and find a high mileage F50. They are pretty robust! I could be wrong but I think they used bronze valve guides which can start to smoke at 40k miles but they are easily replaced. Awesome car!

8. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    robust....until the tub cracks....then you have a very big problem....

9. BaronM69

BaronM69 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 29, 2005
    Washington DC / FR
    How would you rank the Enzo? You don't seem to like it? You kept Enzos out of your collection correct?

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    How many miles do the two have? You say the Enzo has "significantly" more, which is why I ask. What color combo is the Enzo? I'm assuming the F40 is all original and not a respray or tuned version.

11. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    It's not that I don't like the Enzo, I don't love the Enzo! I have driven lots of them, including the wonderful FXX, but as a road car, the 599 GTO makes my spine tingle more!

No I don't have one, certainly a mistake from an investment perspective, but I collect cars that "move" my soul....

12. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The F40 has virtually no electronic system with the exception of the engine electronics and lifter system (if equipped) which can malfunction. The Enzo has a myriad of expensive electronic systems, some of which are very costly to repair.

I highly recommend having an Enzo knowledgable technician check out the function of every system on the car with a proper diagnostic computer before purchase,

The F40 is basically a race car/go kart for the street. The Enzo is more like the Space Shuttle. Very different driving experiences.

13. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Only heard of this happening in a big crash. Apparently ferrari will sell you a new tub for 75k EUR

14. Bill S

Bill S Formula 3

Oct 2, 2004
    For investment, Enzo. For high-speed driving pleasure, Enzo. For most attention at shows and public events, Enzo. For 0-100 in 6.5 sec, Enzo.

For street driving fun, F40. For charm, F40. For light-up turbo experience, F40.

For most of the above, F50. It's between F40 and Enzo and the most thrilling and fun on the street when you take it to redline.

288 is F40's sister. All characteristics of F40, but softer. Most fun on long trips.

15. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K

and do you know that this a known issue for a fact?

16. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i do not have first hand knowledge, but have been told that this is problematic given that the engine is connected directly to the tub, causes a lot of vibration and can lead to the tub cracking, which then requires it to be completely swapped out - and the only source is ferrari....until they dont have any more.

there might be further info in this forum if you search for it.

17. luigisayshello

luigisayshello Karting

Jul 9, 2014
    Roburta suspension upgrade does wonders.

18. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    The question I come to is how much driving will you really do with this car? My experience is many (not all) people will get a car like this, say they are going to put a few thousand miles on it per year, and then its more like 100-200 miles.

Stating the obvious, the Enzo is more rare, but the F40 is as ChalStrad said, its the first.

I don't think any of these will really burn you financially, but they can bounce around- just be prepared for that.

In the end, I think this decision should really come down to which one you desire the most.

19. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Exactly.

Neither can be "better" when all that matters is what you prefer.

20. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Wouldn't that be the 288?

21. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Well, yes and no. In my opinion the F40 is the first. The 288 is a prelude. The 288 was built to go racing- not a street car, which I think is part of being a supercar. But if you say the 288 is the first in your opinion, I really can't argue with it. Just difference of opinion. The first ever supercar- its a question I think we would have fun debating. Some would say 300SL Mercedes (Gullwing) some would say Lamborghini Miura.

22. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Depends on what you pay of course but in general older is better. Driving wise, totally different experience. F40 is a sports car whereas enzo is GT/sport. I agree with what others have said if comfort and/or fit is an issue then enzo. F40s also a bit of work to get dialed in but once it is, it's amazing.

23. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    First ever Supercar of any make is a wide-open subjective topic.

First of the 'Ferrari Supercar Series' is indisputably the 288 GTO, continuing with F40, F50, Enzo and now LaFerrari.

24. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Enzo looks dated AF imo, whereas the F40 looks somewhat classic and timeless. I'd go F40 on looks alone.

25. tboniello

tboniello Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2012
    Miami, FL/North Jersey
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Depends on which you enjoy staring at and driving, although I think the F40 is more of an undervalued car at the moment.

To me, the F50 is best of both worlds: raw and manual + V12 (and removable roof!). Nothing sounds like an F50.