Enzo gearbox vs F12 gearbox in every day driving situations? | FerrariChat

Enzo gearbox vs F12 gearbox in every day driving situations?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Ryan S., Jul 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    Is there a drastic difference between the 2? Naturally the F12 is much newer so should be much better but maybe that is not the case? How do they compare in every day driving situations?

2. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I'm not expert, but I have to ask the question- why are you asking about this? The cars are so different, I would think the transmission is the least of the concerns (i.e. value of the enzo, purpose (daily driver, track, back street fun, car show duty?), etc.

The Enzo is of course F1 so more abrupt- the (whopping two) times I drove an Enzo the F1 worked well- I was just nervous/thrilled/amazed to have the opportunity to drive the car! I do recall the gears being fairly long- decent gap between ratios of gears, and on the sole wide open throttle shift I did (3rd to 4th, about 1K shy of redline) it sounded/felt like the transmission fell out- such a brutally fast shift at that throttle/rpm coupled with the sheer power of the car- I will never forget that particular drive or even that shift! The Enzo I was driving essentially had straight pipes to boot... but under more "normal" driving conditions, it worked well like a 360/430 F1

There are actual owners on there that can get more specific of course- my main reason for posting is sheer curiosity as to why you were asking the specific question :)

3. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Single clutch vs. Double clutch. So yes. You can smoke a single clutch if you don't drive it right (just like a 3 pedal car).

4. Ryan S.

Ryan S. Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2004
    #4 Ryan S., Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Just curious as to how much more advanced the F12 box is vs the Enzo's both in feel but actual tech as well.

I like that they are both NA v12s as well so am just curious how the transmissions on both hold up to that duty in primarily every day life.

5. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Plenty experience in F12 but I have only had the pleasure of driving the Enzo once. I did notice that the shifting was very slow throughout the rev range. F12 is much faster. Of course they are single vs double clutch so no real comparison makes sense. The Enzo is not so fun in traffic situations based on my limited experience

6. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    The difference between the two: Reverse an F12 uphill and there will be no issue, reverse an Enzo uphill and the clutch might not like that so much to put it mildly...

7. Zaius

Zaius Formula Junior

May 8, 2014
    Yes the difference is absolutely massive its 2 completely different setups.

8. Makuono

Makuono Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2014
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

In sport condition how do you describe each system? In normal or city condition I understand the limitation (??) of the Enzo gearbox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk