Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari - Sponsored by Bradan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2017, 09:48 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Why is the Cavallino Black on rear of GTOs?

I recall someone telling me the reason they were told that Cavallinos are black vs chrome on the back of GTOs, but I don't remember the story (the person had just returned from a factory tour- they were purchasing a then-new 599 GTO). Was it that Enzo Ferrari was ticked off about the homologation requirements for the 288GTO and the tradition stayed for the 599 GTO? Or to use the black for race cars to honor the deceased? I can't remember the story...

From Wikipedia:
On 17 June 1923, Enzo Ferrari won a race at the Savio track in Ravenna where he met the Countess Paolina, mother of Count Francesco Baracca, an ace of the Italian air force and national hero of World War I, who used to paint a horse on the side of his planes. The Countess asked Enzo to use this horse on his cars, suggesting that it would bring him good luck. The original "prancing horse" on Baracca's airplane was painted in red on a white cloud-like shape, but Ferrari chose to have the horse in black (as it had been painted as a sign of grief on Baracca's squadron planes after the pilot was killed in action) and he added a canary yellow background as this is the color of the city of Modena, his birthplace. The Ferrari horse was, from the very beginning, markedly different from the Baracca horse in most details, the most noticeable being the tail that in the original Baracca version was pointing downward.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-17-2017, 10:05 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Andrew Menasce
I recall them being black on the Testarossa also.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:42 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenasce View Post
It might have been a '80 thing.
If I'm not mistaken previously (in standard form) the cars did not have any cavallino on the rear, they only had the badge on the front.
The black cavallino might have been selected for a progressive introduction, IIRC the 348 tb still did not receive any cavallino on the rear.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:48 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Tim
I cannot steal Caeruleus' thunder.....
Old 07-17-2017, 11:53 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
I cannot steal Caeruleus' thunder.....
Not sure what that means, but leads me to believe someone knows the real story..& hopefully fills me in
Old 07-17-2017, 04:57 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Yes, I believe the story is that Mr. Ferrari was upset. And thanks Traveller, I hope I have this correct. The story that was told to me by someone at FNA at the 599 GTO introduction- and this is purely from memory- Just prior to the introduction of the 288 GTO, there was an argument between Mr. Ferrari and some higher ups at Fiat. I'm not sure the reason for the argument. However, as the story was told to me, the Fiat executives were adamant this new 288 GTO would feature an oversized bright Cavallino Rampante on the rear. Supposedly, at the very last minute, and unknown to the executives at Fiat, Mr. Ferrari went ahead and changed it!... To the now famous small black prancing horse. Lesson- don't mess with Mr. Enzo Ferrari!

As far as I am aware, the 288 GTO is the first Ferrari production car to wear a black Cavallaino Rampante. And not used again by the Factory until the 599 GTO.

PS- this caused me to go back to some books and so far I can't find anything that disputes this story. I welcome corrections/ improvements.

Last edited by Caeruleus11; 07-17-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:32 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Caeruleus11- that may be the story I was thinking of!! It was driving me nuts- I knew there was a story of why it was black - whether true or not, I think this is the story that was told to the guy I know as he was in the process of getting/ordering his 599GTO- I'm not sure if he was told this during a factory tour or by his Ferrari dealership (and I have not seen him in a while to ask about the story).

I was reading an article on the 288GTO just a few days ago and when I saw the black Cavallino in the article's picture, I faintly remembered a story being told to me a few years ago but I couldn't remember the details. If true, I could see it being recounted by Ferrari people in the know with the release of the 599GTO! If not true and they just wanted some folklore to go with the black horse on the 599GTO, that wouldn't surprise me either.

But reading about Enzo all these years, it's probably a true story
Old 07-18-2017, 03:48 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Rodolfo Di Pietro
Quote:
Originally Posted by amenasce View Post
And in the 348 also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 348TS_89302-1920x1080_7ASNAE.jpg (30.9 KB, 180 views)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-18-2017, 06:15 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

It may be that they were black on other cars, but my question was regarding the GTO's specifically. It makes sense (to me anyway) to have them black on the black rear of the testarossa/348..although the chrome looks good there too!
Old 07-18-2017, 10:42 AM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Great points about the other cars. I wonder if it was that the Testarossa was sometimes marketed alongside the 288? The 348 is interesting as well as I don't remember seeing it with black but I have seen it with a silver CR. Now I see the picture with black and the same photo is on Ferrari's website. A search of images on line shows Testarossas with either. I will see about learning more on this and getting back to you all. Might be a few days.