What about this 288 GTO Replica? | FerrariChat

What about this 288 GTO Replica?

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Boxer12, Nov 16, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
  2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Looks like an old Jim Carpenter car, I used to have a similair race version.

If the owner never upgraded you'll have to sort out a lot of little stuff. It will be a labor of love for any1 who buys this bcus you'll never make any $ on it

3. Koby

Koby Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    The Borough, NJ
    Full Name:
    Jason Kobies
    That thing is pretty cool, I love the longitutinal motor and the F40 door panels are a nice touch. It will never fool anyone, but it is a nice tribute. The cover band equivelant to the real thing, "the GTO Experience."

Besides, 272 is a big number compared to one-of-a-kind. ;)

4. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    William, give up some impressions! What did you think of it? Was it sorted out pretty well when new? How did you like the power band on the track? Good track car? Fun to drive? Bad oversteer? Jim

5. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    I found the body constructor's website, and they have done about 40 288 replica kits. The conversion kit is body only. I wonder who did the drivetrain/motor/turbos? I wonder if its got a 308 frame? William, how is the 'race version' different from this example?

6. psw

psw Formula 3

Nov 17, 2005
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I agree, I sent a damaged 328 all the way from Aussie to Jim Carpenter to build the 288GTO R, car looked magnificent, I ended up tracking it a lot and had to do lots of sorting, had oil surge all the time on the track, had to totally resort & rebuild the suspension, lots of little things as William says.

7. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Sounds like a good idea, but more diff than expected. I have read that the 288, although it looks a lot like a 3*8, has very few parts in common.

8. V-12 Power

V-12 Power Rookie

Jun 1, 2005
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Guys-

This is my car and I will be glad to answer any questions you may have. I also have a P/4 replica from Carpenter and it is a V-12 Beast (200mph). I have raced it at Road Atlanta and I tell you...it scares me! The GTO is Carpenter also and is ALL FERRARI...308 Chassis and 308 Quatrovalve Motor. Body, Suspension and Motor all built at Carpenters' shop. I visited during the build twice and watched them build it...amazing!! This car may have 500 miles on it, but I doubt that many. Really not for the street (although perfectly legal), but built for the track. The car has never been on a track but will be in 2 weeks in Savannah, Ga for a Vintage Car event. I figured it would be a good warm-up before racing my 1961 MGA (I know, I know!!!)

9. jvecchi

jvecchi Formula Junior

May 5, 2005
    Sarver, PA
    Full Name:
    John M. Vecchi
    Would you post the link to Carpenter's website please? Thanks!

10. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Jay, I have a few questions. (BTW,whoever had this listed didn't bother to answer my questions via ebay.) What is the weight? What brand of ECU? Is this a one off? Any prior experience with this motor mod and tranny combo? What about the handling? How does if feel? Smooth power band or turn burning rush at xxxx rpm? Have you done any performance tests besides dyno? What kind of g force do you get on skidpad? 0-60, 0-100 or 1/4 mile times? Jim

11. ItaliaF1

ItaliaF1 F1 Veteran

Aug 28, 2005
    Nashville,TN
    Full Name:
    John Burrow
    not too bad, but still would never buy a replica

12. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Hey, I'm not opposed to it for a track car. All for fun, eh? The biggest prob is the 308 label and price considerations that go with that. Who wants to pay 2-3 x the going price for a modded 308, which is what it is in the final analysis. Not like you took a Nissan and made it look like a ferrari. I also wonder how easy it is to work on that motor? Engine out majors, I'm sure, and what about changing plugs on the inside bank?

13. DMOORE

DMOORE Formula 3

Aug 23, 2005
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Very nice car. I bet it would be a blast to drive. To BOXER12 if ya take a look at the ad on ebay, it says the car actually has been converted to a longitutinal motor with a G50 transaxle. Very trick setup. Definatly no problems with plug changes.

Darrell.

14. Boxer12

Boxer12 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2003
    Right you are (except for spelling...its longitudinally), I was just glancing at the pix and it was taken from the side so it confused me. There is no subframe though, right?

Why a G50 trans?

Stock (misnomer) 288 GTO only rated at 400 hp/189 mph. Does this car do over 200mph?

Is the frame stock 308 or is it altered? stretched? widened?