Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 08:08 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: LaJonathan
There is no way that car is worth $400K in that condition. That must have been the number they said for the cameras but no one in their right minds would pay that much for the car and still expect to make a profit from it.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Michael
I was watching that & discussing it with a pal on the phone. I was astonished when they bought it for $400k. I had thought I would be a buyer at near $300k (out of the labor of luv theory).

I was wondering the whole time if I was out of my mind - or if they were. That was a heck of a wreck but it seemed low speed.

Happy to see that most of us have the same mindset as I do.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:37 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

I was watching that & discussing it with a pal on the phone. I was astonished when the bought it for $400k. I had thought I would be a buyer at near $300k (out of the labor of luv theory).

I was wondering the whole time if I was out of my mind - or if they were. That was a heck of a wreck but it seemed low speed.

Happy to see that most of us have the same mindset as I do.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Karting
Non Subscribed

Full Name: G F O
F40 on fast and loud

That $400K price is way over stated. They paid significantly less for the F40. The shop owner (seller) wanted $200K before the Fast and Loud guys showed up. The highest offer at the time was only $80K. EVERYTHING on that car was destroyed. The producer of the show bought it. Before they showed up, I sent 20 DVD with detailed photo's to everyone who showed interest in buying it and $80K was the highest offer that came in. BTW the owner of the car who was in Europe at the time it was wrecked, watched the show last night....
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: bo
Does anyone know what the cast gets paid to be on the show? $10,000 and episode? $50,000? What?

If the bulk of their pay is off the show, then taking a loss on a big name car makes sense...
Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 AM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: That other William H
Quote:
Originally Posted by 512BLU View Post
That $400K price is way over stated. They paid significantly less for the F40. The shop owner (seller) wanted $200K before the Fast and Loud guys showed up. The highest offer at the time was only $80K. EVERYTHING on that car was destroyed. The producer of the show bought it. Before they showed up, I sent 20 DVD with detailed photo's to everyone who showed interest in buying it and $80K was the highest offer that came in. BTW the owner of the car who was in Europe at the time it was wrecked, watched the show last night....
Thanks Grady for the info. I figured as much, no one in their right mind would waste money like that in todays economy.

FYI, I haven't seen this show yet but I've meet a couple of people that been associated with Gas Monkey Garage. I dumped my cable years ago & have been happy without it. All these scripted shows aka "situations" are just so bad they're not even worth watching anymore.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Authenticity of rebuild?

Anytime you see something on TV, never trust the values they say. I'm actually quite relieved that they didn't pay anywhere near 400k for this car. I personally like to watch these car shows for ideas and see how they do things, but you just can't trust the numbers. Hell the same episode, that 38 sedan wouldn't have hit 35k. Originals are selling 15-19k, customs in the 25k range. With that said, a lot of the things they do are pretty nice, but touching a ferrari is something they shouldn't do, and if the cameras weren't there, they probably wouldn't.

With that said, since this is a "finale" I'm curious if any of you guys have an ear to the ground on if they're actually rebuilding it proper. They mentioned getting it recerted by ferrari afterwards, but again, it's a TV show and I unfortunately have a gut feeling that they aren't going to fork out 200-300k for parts and repairs for something they can fake with 30k. Not a huge Ferrari fan, but F40's and F50's have a place in everyones hearts and I would hate to see this baby mistreated.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mike
I can't believe that anybody would spend that kind of money on something in that condition.. There is no way they can put that back together and sell it for a profit. Not to mention the fact that who would want it with that history.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:16 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 512BLU View Post
That $400K price is way over stated. They paid significantly less for the F40. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vick Torious View Post
Anytime you see something on TV, never trust the values they say. I'm actually quite relieved that they didn't pay anywhere near 400k for this car.
Okay, I can live with that. So whats the reason to mock up the $400k offer & sale? So people are interested in the show? Or so they can say "I have more than that in it" when they get an $500k offer when its actually ready to sell?

Either way I think I would have brought it home for that $80k all day & would have been hard pressed to pass on it at $200.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
So whats the reason to mock up the $400k offer & sale? Or so they can say "I have more than that in it" when they get an $500k offer when its actually ready to sell?
I think you hit it on the head.

That, plus the extra drama for TV. Shelling out $80K for a car is not that dramatic.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: James Gardner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSlide View Post
its a reality tv show, sure its real in reality LOL

near the end of the show they send to some shop to fix it
I saw the clip at the end of the show too. Mike Luongo was the guy on the phone breaking the news (bad maybe) to Richard. Mike is the shop foreman at Lambo Dallas and a long time Ferrari tech. So maybe the "shop" is the Lambo Dealer. I'm guessing the F40 was sent to LoD to get a good estimate of damages and parts needed to put her back together correctly. If that's possible.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

We sold them parts for that car a few months ago (original parts).
The huge crate you see being carted across the floor by 5 guys, was
our finely built crate. Dennis bought all the F40 stuff I had. Front bonnet,
rear bumper, quarters, lights, rims etc... I had listed on Ebay for a little
while.
Probably shouldn't give anything away from what I was told, but that
car will end up looking VERY unique. Stuff I like, but I'm sure guys on
this site will go ballistic (hehe). I'm hoping he buys a few other parts
that we make to spice that dull factory front-end up a bit. 'Specially for
a "special build" non-factory looking. I think the car might be running
the Texas mile after the build. ;o) Kinda cool.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

I don't think i like where this is going...
Old 04-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by barthiyo View Post
I don't think i like where this is going...
Hehe. More true words have never been spoken. ;o) I say that based on some
of the car enthusiasts comments I've read before here on Fchat.. The car WILL end
up looking nice... (at least "I" think it will. But I like "different") ...and you will
probably like how it turns out too if you can appreciate the blue chrome F40 (from
Japan) on youtube.
"Different" can be fun.

Last edited by nickm; 04-02-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

I actually hope that they spent that much and happy that it has been broadcasted all over the world.

It may help increase the value of every other perfect and non perfect F40

So a classiche, one owner car, $1.1mill anyone???
Old 04-02-2013, 06:26 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Pete
To me, it sounds like a build that was waiting for a wrecked car so as not to have to pay for and then 'ruin' a clean car...
Old 04-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
We sold them parts for that car a few months ago (original parts).
The huge crate you see being carted across the floor by 5 guys, was
our finely built crate. Dennis bought all the F40 stuff I had. Front bonnet,
rear bumper, quarters, lights, rims etc... I had listed on Ebay for a little
while.
Probably shouldn't give anything away from what I was told, but that
car will end up looking VERY unique. Stuff I like, but I'm sure guys on
this site will go ballistic (hehe). I'm hoping he buys a few other parts
that we make to spice that dull factory front-end up a bit. 'Specially for
a "special build" non-factory looking. I think the car might be running
the Texas mile after the build. ;o) Kinda cool.
Awesome! That's EXACTLY what you should do with a totaled Ferrari. It's never going to have good resale value, so why not make it unique with tasteful upgrades?
Old 04-02-2013, 06:48 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickm View Post
Hehe. More true words have never been spoken. ;o) I say that based on some
of the car enthusiasts comments I've read before here on Fchat.. The car WILL end
up looking nice... (at least "I" think it will. But I like "different") ...and you will
probably like how it turns out too if you can appreciate the blue chrome F40 (from
Japan) on youtube.
"Different" can be fun.
"Different" can be fun but it could prove to be extremely costly, and defiantly controversial. I'm interested if what ever they do affects the resale value and, if it is modified ALOT, weather they can sell it quickly ( I guess Masonry has answered that question many times). This should be interesting.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Rookie
Non Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobzdar View Post
To me, it sounds like a build that was waiting for a wrecked car so as not to have to pay for and then 'ruin' a clean car...

but claiming to pay $400,000 for a heap, when after 2 minutes searching the web I found running ones for $595,000 as recent as a year ago (march 2012), they are essentially paying for a clean car after paying for parts. Granted, they probably paid (as stated by someone else before me) around $200,000 when most would only offer 80k. They'll fix it for another 200, costing them probably all said and done between 400 and 450k and sell it for $550k. But on air, Dennis will claim to buy it for a figure closer to a million, if not break that barrier just for ratings.

But what I'm scared of is them putting their gas monkey style to a F40. By all means, go out and pick up a 43 ford coupe and hot rod it out, because you can still find at least a few hundred of those and I would be happy to drive one. But when you're dealing with a car that you can only find 53 or so other stock examples of, stock has to be the way to go, if for no other reason than to help the population of an endangered species.

edit: don't hate me for bringing it up on a ferrari forum, but it's the same aspect as finding a wrecked 63 Shelby Mustang. Would anyone do one thing differently than the late Carrol Shelby had done to it originally? Gotta say keep Enzo's original game plan as unfortunately, he won't be making any more from the beyond.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:25 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Norm
Quote:
Originally Posted by barthiyo View Post
"Different" can be fun but it could prove to be extremely costly, and defiantly controversial. I'm interested if what ever they do affects the resale value and, if it is modified ALOT, weather they can sell it quickly ( I guess Masonry has answered that question many times). This should be interesting.
Hello, "different"! Maybe some have forgotten about what Roland did to his and on here it didn't fare well to many. Roland Linder
Non-Sponsor Ads