Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Рой
F40 on fast and loud

Saw a F40 on a preview of fast and loud, anybody know anything about this car?

Last edited by Tokyo Drftr; 03-26-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 03-26-2013, 07:24 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Kevin
The show description only says ferocious ford & fast ferrari
Monday night 8 & 11pm
It's a new eposdoe
Old 03-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Formula 3
Sponsor

Full Name: Steve F
My Garage
Wink

Maybe the return of:

Ferrari F40 Wrecked in Houston, the real story

From the website:
"The Gas Monkey crew turn a rat-infested '38 Ford into a cool hot rod. Richard buys football player Emmitt Smith's Mercedes, which comes with a surprise.Is new female welder Alloy up for the GMG challenge? Richard gambles $400K on a banged up Ferrari F-40. "

S

www.boardwalkferrari.com
www.boardwalkmaserati.com

"You have first to experience
what you want to express" (V. Van Gogh)

Last edited by SAFE4NOW; 03-26-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Not sure if thats the car. The one in preview looked to be intact, but less wheels. Who knows, its in their neighborhood. Guess i'll watch it. Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Guess you guys were right!
Old 04-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Paul
Just watched the episode. According to the show, it's this one:

Mechanic wrecks out-of-town owner's $500,000 Ferrari F40

The thing that blows my mind, is that they appear to buy it for $400k without doing any research.

If decent ones change hands for $750k or so, I can't see paying $400k for one that's this broken. I don't expect they will have a good time with this. I haven't seen how they fix it, but I don't think having "Gas Monkey" in your F40's resume is a selling point. Nothing against the guys on the show, but I'd want someone like Patrick Otis (ok, F40's are not his thing, but someone *like* him)
Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Norm
I don't get it either, theres no way to make any money on this, which is what Gas Monkey does. I can build some nice cars, but this is throwing money away. Roland had a F40 that was converted to a beautiful look alike LM and his car was viewed negatively by quite a few on this forum, how would a totaled F40 fare in this market. Gas monkey would need to get at least $750,000.00 to break even, remember they borrowed that money and Im sure their partner would like to see a decent return on his money too.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Dennis is supposed to be their Ferrari expert and may have heard of it. It sounded like the seller mentioned it was a clean title but don't we know the vin? 400k seemed like a lot.
It appears to need to put a ton of money in it and they already have a ton in it without turning a wrench.

If they get too deep in it, then Dennis will buy the car I bet(for what a good F40 is worth). He buys every big ticket item they get.

I recognized the places/people in the preview which is pretty cool.

I'm looking forward to next week.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 AM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Michael Satterfield
Just watched it, looks like another car the Gas Monkey guys are going to lose money on.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Karting
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Charles
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
Dennis is supposed to be their Ferrari expert and may have heard of it. It sounded like the seller mentioned it was a clean title but don't we know the vin? 400k seemed like a lot.
It appears to need to put a ton of money in it and they already have a ton in it without turning a wrench.

If they get too deep in it, then Dennis will buy the car I bet(for what a good F40 is worth). He buys every big ticket item they get.

I recognized the places/people in the preview which is pretty cool.

I'm looking forward to next week.
Tonight was a mid-season finale (whatever that means)... so we might have to wait more than a week
Old 04-02-2013, 12:20 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Michael
Most 'reality' shows are scripted, but this one takes the cake. No one in their right mind would have paid 400KUSD for this car. Having just helped a friend research one of the 211 US spec F40s, before he bought the car, I've seen some of the recent prices for parts and bladders. The car was just serviced and fuel bladders were done recently, the bill for all of that was well over 50KUSD. There is just no way this is even a 550KUSD car in perfectly restored condition. Unless, there is an enormous uptick in demand and 5,000 mile examples start going for over a 1MMUSD. There is at least 300KUSD worth of work that must be done to this car.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:08 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

The whole front end is gone and some of those small pieces cost a ton of money as you said. They kept saying it's a 750k-mil car and I thought the average was less than 750 right now. This one is storied and requires a ton of work so there's no way they could hit 750k.

How much do you think that car would be worth if they fix it properly? I assume you know most of the history (miles, vin, etc)
Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 AM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: That other William H
It's all about the rating$

So they are going to have a shill buyer from the network step in, purchase the car with well known frame damage & make lots 'o money?

Sounds like a brilliant idea to me.

Old 04-02-2013, 01:58 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJHMH View Post
So they are going to have a shill buyer from the network step in, purchase the car with well known frame damage & make lots 'o money?

Sounds like a brilliant idea to me.

Hey, it's 'reality' TV it's completely real .
Old 04-02-2013, 02:14 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Norm
Hey, maybe they will put Air Ride suspension and chrome wheels on. This is silly you cant bondo the body together and have the Model weld on something.

Don't get me wrong I actually enjoy the show as this is the fourth one Ive seen, I know its entertainment but this has got Buyer Beware all over it.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:21 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke View Post
How much do you think that car would be worth if they fix it properly? I assume you know most of the history (miles, vin, etc)
To me the car should/could have been bought in the 200KUSD range and saved, but there is no way anyone is making money buying this car for 400KUSD. Even if you bought the car for 200KUSD it would have to be purely a labor of love as there would be no money to be made off the car. It's not as though the car is too far gone, several very valuable vintage Ferraris have been brought back from MUCH worse. Just look at S/N 0666. However, it's just not a money maker at a price anywhere near 400KUSD. One of the big problems with bringing a rebuilt F40 to the market after it's been restored is that there a lot of great cars available, in SuperCar terms the F40 market is really big. Just look at what the guy on ebay tried to get for 'FBI' F50, He is being laughed at, well for a number of reasons, but that's beside the point. He got serious offers for 400KUSD and turned them down, he should have taken one of those offers as they were on the high side. There are 56 US spec F50s and the high point in that market is over 1.25MMUSD. Quiet the disparity. Now look at this F40, it's in worse shape than the 'FBI' F50 was, in a market that's 4 times bigger. Tell me, what's it worth? I know what I would pay.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 AM
F1 Veteran
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Bas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLFAN View Post
To me the car should/could have been bought in the 200KUSD range and saved, but there is no way anyone is making money buying this car for 400KUSD. Even if you bought the car for 200KUSD it would have to be purely a labor of love as there would be no money to be made off the car. It's not as though the car is too far gone, several very valuable vintage Ferraris have been brought back from MUCH worse. Just look at S/N 0666. However, it's just not a money maker at a price anywhere near 400KUSD. One of the big problems with bringing a rebuilt F40 to the market after it's been restored is that there a lot of great cars available, in SuperCar terms the F40 market is really big. Just look at what the guy on ebay tried to get for 'FBI' F50, He is being laughed at, well for a number of reasons, but that's beside the point. He got serious offers for 400KUSD and turned them down, he should have taken one of those offers as they were on the high side. There are 56 US spec F50s and the high point in that market is over 1.25MMUSD. Quiet the disparity. Now look at this F40, it's in worse shape than the 'FBI' F50 was, in a market that's 4 times bigger. Tell me, what's it worth? I know what I would pay.
I haven't seen the episode yet, but what if the total he put in including buying the car was 400k? IMO then they could make money but only then.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:28 AM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bas Jaski View Post
I haven't seen the episode yet, but what if the total he put in including buying the car was 400k? IMO then they could make money but only then.
According to the show they bought the car for 400KUSD, and now they need to rebuild it. More than likely they will outsource some if not all of the work, personally I would not buy an F40 restored by 'Gas Monkey inc'. There is more than 300KUSD worth of work that needs to go into the car.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

its a reality tv show, sure its real in reality LOL

near the end of the show they send to some shop to fix it
Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLFAN View Post
Very good pooints. To break even they would have to ask what a good example would go for and there's no way they'll get that. Too many good ones out there to get a lot out of this.
I think Dennis, the guy who paid for it, will buy it.
They had a couple outside guys looking at it in the preview.