NICK FORZA'S 308/288GTO RE-BODY | FerrariChat

NICK FORZA'S 308/288GTO RE-BODY

Discussion in '308/328' started by mksu19, Jan 12, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    #1 mksu19, Jan 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Is this worth looking into? Sounds like a winner but I cant seem to get answers from anyone about the basics (i.e. Cost, Packages, Etc.). As I had said before, I am in the market for an F-Car that Im planning on keeping for a long time. This seems like a viable option for me since I would be using the 308 on a daily basis! If this is as reliable as they claim, then I would consider flying to their shop and investigate further. Should anyone have any knowledge, comments, or stories regarding this please let me know. I need as much info on this before I make any commitments. Thanks guys!

http://www.nicksforzaferrari.com/forzaferrariwebsite1_065.htm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Please try to find on already built, it's going to be more cost effective than trying to find a donor car plus I can't stand the thought of another 3x8 GTB getting converted.

3. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    +1

4. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks good though!

5. NSXER

NSXER Formula 3

Jan 4, 2004
    Kansas
    That picture you post looks to be of a real GTO. The "kit" does not look that good. The back of the car is not correct since the wheelbase is shorter on the 308. Just my thoughts though.

6. desire308

desire308 Formula 3

Oct 19, 2007
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Peter W
    Why do these things even exist? I really don't get it. It's a shame to destroy a car that was as exotic [yet basic] as the 308...who cares if you have to change the belts every 3 years and actually pay attention to the car? Buy a rice burner, paint it red, put a Ferrari badge on it...and drive IT to work!

7. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    #7 Bradley, Jan 12, 2008
    Nope.

The car in the photo is a kit, and from what I can see a very good replica.

The dead giveaway for knowing a real 288 from a re-bodied 308 is the rear. Look at the center beneath the rear bumper.

8. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    As good as Nick's car looks, I won't be doing it to my beloved 308 GTB.

I guess, on the one hand, it could drive up the prices on original 308s. On the other, (and I know I might offend some people here) I like the looks of the 308 better than the GTO. I understand that the 288s are extremely fast, rare, and valuable, but my Ferrari is what it is, and I'd rather have it than convert a genuine Ferrari into a kit car.

Don't get me wrong. I'd love to have a genuine 288. Since I can't, I'll keep the Ferrari I have original.

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

So I guess its a pretty good copy then?

10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    #10 RP, Jan 12, 2008
  11. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    I guess that answers my question as far as the "looks" goes. I wasn't sure about having a 308 body butchered anyways but thought the kit in the picture looks nearly identical. Anyways, what I really wanted was the "upgrades" done to a donor 308. Anyone out there with experience with Nick (besides Mike) please let me know.

12. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon

The point is I wanted a 308 to be used as my DAILY DRIVER, as in I don't want another garage queen added to my collection! Mr. Enzo Ferrari did not engineer his cars to be as such. Not that I cant afford to do the services (I own several exotics and a couple of twin prop aircrafts as well) I just dont want to have more down time than ride time in my next F-Car. And believe me, there will still be (costly) services that will come with "a basic Nick Forza HotRod 308!".

I have been in-love with a 308 since my dad took delivery of his in the 70's. I've had a couple before and regreted letting them go. I have a few "Rice Burners" as well. An NSX GT-R and a mint 1967 Toyota 2000GT. I guess some people just dont understand!

13. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    NKSU19, you can do as you wish; there's nothing illegal about converting a 308 to 288 looks.

As for the other "upgrades" that Nick offers, I'm not the person to tell you. I've only dealt with Forza Ferrari once, by internet, and was satisfied. I don't know Nick personally, but I gather he has a pretty good reputation in the Ferrari community.

I know that I'm not really addressing your initial question. I hope that another poster will be able to make a more qualified statement.

I do hope, however, that you consider the fact that many Ferrari fans, including myself, consider any 288 re-body as trying to turn a genuine Ferrari into something it's not. It's not something I would do, for whatever that's worth.

Just something to consider; ultimately the decision is up to you.

:) ~Bradley

14. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    what a mess. That car has been for sale for years.

15. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    #15 thecarreaper, Jan 13, 2008
    this is a conversion. belonged to a member here, and was sold, and then had an accident in the rain. it was for sale on ferrariads about 2 years ago. not sure what ever happened. i do like the looks of a 288, but the door handles, rear glass and trim and other details are critical differences between the real 288 and the 308 . unless these things are done properly, AND the car gets engine mods to deal with all the extra weight, the kit will be really really slow. i dont know how one would justify the costs of modding one , and ever trying to sell it. insurance may be a big deal too as i am unsure hagerty or others would insure it like a "regular" 308.

old pics.

16. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    There's so much about this car that just doesn't look right, even though it's a very good "kit."

1. The shorter wheelbase makes the proportions wrong for a 288.
    2. The vents behind the side windows are still pure 308.
    3. The transmission housing does not protrude out the back like it does on a 288.
    4. The rear deck is still pure 308, which hinges at the opposite end and looks nothing like that of the 288.
    5. The buttresses are different on a 288 v. 308.
    6. Of course, the engine still sits crosswise. The cost of changing THAT would be nearly as prohibitive to most people as buying an authentic GTO.
    7. The door handles are obviously 308.

There are probably more subtle differences, but these are the ones that really stand out for me.

So what we have here is a car that doesn't look quite like a 308 and doesn't look quite like a 288.

Again, it's your car; do what you want, but the big question, to me, is "Why?"

17. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    I guess I wasn't really clear on my intentions. I was implying that the upgrades done on a normal 308 without the 288 "kit". I know that "butchering" a 308 isn't a good idea and I wanted (basically) only the mechanical, electrical, supercharger kit, etc. mods in my next 308 "Daily driver". If I wanted a 288 then I would research and acquire one (should my wife allow me) and add that to my collection and then consider it another "garage queen". With that said, I will be clear and say that I want a Nick "HotRod" either a 2 or 4 valve 308 with the performance upgrades a la "sleeper" type car without the fuss of the regular 308's. Thanks for the comments though and please keep them coming!

And for "desire308", no beef bro! I was just trying to make a point. Sorry if I offended anyone, it wasn't intentional!

18. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
  19. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  20. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    +1 !

I think that if Nick's can make a 308 into a faster and more reliable daily driver, go for it! Sounds like you'll be leaving the body alone. That's what I would do.

21. mksu19

mksu19 Formula 3

Jan 4, 2008
    LAX / YVR / MNL
    Full Name:
    Capt. K. Banzon
    I spoke to "The Forza Guy" earlier and were setting something up. Were supposed to meet late this month to discuss this and look at an F-Car. They said its possible for me to build my 308 (for less money than I originally thought) and that 500+HP/Daily Driver is feasible. Ill keep you guys updated.

22. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I had mine supercharged up over 500 hp and it drove GOOD. It was a pretty stock QV at 22 psi. To duplicate that SC set-up would be about $12k

23. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    Did this affect either exterior appearance or maintenance costs?

24. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    No and not really. Everything fit under the stock hood. The normal service stuff was not affected, but you did have to change the oil in the supercharger every 3k miles which took about 1/2 hour and 1/2 qt of oil.