288 GTO Conversion Kit? | FerrariChat

288 GTO Conversion Kit?

Discussion in '308/328' started by American Pie, Sep 5, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ckracing

ckracing Formula Junior

May 20, 2006
    Jacksonville,Florida
    Full Name:
    Charles
    If I had a 308/328 that I was going to keep for ever and it needed body repair, I might consider it.
    One thing the seller doesn't mention is the wheels. You will have to buy wider wheels or use bolt on adapters.
    I think I would not use the rear quarter panel air slats The wider front fenders and wider rear quarter panels do look good.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Pretty sure that 'completed' picture is the real deal 288.

IMHO, as much as I love the 288, most conversions fail miserably due to the wheelbase issue and the C pillar lines. I'd rather have a great looking 328 or 308 rather than a bad replica.

3. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    It will destroy the resale value of your car!!!
    Best starting base would be a 1989 328, those have the (wider) Mondial suspension. They have high offset wheels from the factory, so to go to GTO width you don't need extreem wide wheels or large spacers, just 8"/9"/10" wide wheels with low offset.

4. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Interesting that the pictures of the completed car are of either a real GTO or a conversion with the correct GTO wheelbase. You would think they could at least show the kit installed on a completed car and not a something unrealistic. Dont know if I would do it, but if they ever got a kit like that down under $4K it would be tempting. But then I would want to extend the chassis and make it more proper. Be a shame to cut up a decent car though.

5. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    No need to extent the chassis, just build resized rear A-arms and move back the motor a bit, there is room. The overall length of a GTO is the same as a 308+tail spoiler. The seller Nickm is on ferrarichat and has this kit in ferrariads. It is a renewed version of the Carpenter kit with the wrong looking front spoiler. The front spoiler that Butch Hooper at Italian auto sells is much better, it is the one Mark E has.

6. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #7 bert308, Sep 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes he uses a cropped version of this picture that I once saved from this site.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. bert308

bert308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2002
    Roermond Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bert Kanters
    #8 bert308, Sep 5, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. carb308vt

carb308vt Karting

Apr 12, 2005
    NYC/Vermont
    Full Name:
    Craig M
    One should only consider this if you have a salvage job. I mean wouldn't you rather have something real, like a 308/328 common as they are, than a fakey-doo?

9. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Nice but no cigar.

I would consider this on a really bad GTB, but with the proper 288 wheelbase and the engine turned one quarter (with a P-car G50 gearbox) and some turbochargers, or a complete 355 unit, if that can be made to fit.

The 308/328 is still one of the best looking shapes around, and a 288 is just perfect. Building a replica would need to look right and have matching performance, but doing it right is many $$$.

It only makes sense if you go the whole way and prefer the looks to let's say a 355, which would roughly cost the same?

10. tng2000

tng2000 Rookie

Jan 22, 2007
    Markham, Ontario
    Full Name:
    Stan B.
    If you have the resources to build a "proper" replica you could probably stretch to get the real thing...
    I love the look of the GTO and would do the body conversion in a heart beat maybe add a an SC (like bert308) or Turbo too..and how many people truly would know the difference ?, but I personally would be starting with a car that needed serious TLC (CHEAP !) and would not worry about the wheelbase/ pillar etc. Most important is that it still would be a REAL ferrari under the skin and I could honestly say so if asked and not one of those pathetic fiero kits I have seen. But I'm not a purist, I'd modify any Ferrari that I could afford since I would be driving it. I'd want my car to look good, (tasteful) be reliable and fast. I would not be in it for the investment and modding one would kill that aspect anyway. go ahead, modify it !.

11. Artvonne

Artvonne F1 Veteran

Oct 29, 2004
    NWA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Other than "the look" of the GTO, you will never be able to match the car without a great deal of expense. Spin the engine and drop it, etc., its going to be a LOT of work and will never be anything more than a modded 308. Thats not to say I wouldnt put a body kit on a 308 if it was a cheap alternative, I think it makes the car look wonderful, just...

OTOH, you could just start with a 348. It already has a longitudinal layout, longer wheelbase, lower CG, and with the right mods could outpower a real 288.