Starting problem | FerrariChat

Starting problem

Discussion in '308/328' started by Pauly, Mar 5, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Pauly

Pauly Rookie

Nov 30, 2007
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi everyone I'm having problems starting my 81 308. Until today I've had no problems starting the the car. I went to start it up and it started right away and when I put it in gear it died and haven't been able to start it since, the battery is getting low now so I might have to charge it up. I checked the fuses and swapped them around to make sure the fuel pump and starter were ok and the car just seems to just crank away and away but never seems to even hint at firing up. I didn't see any loose wires in the engine bay either. Any help here guys I'm running out of ideas. Thanks a million in advance.

Paul

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
    If the starter motor is physically spinning the crankshaft, the first thing to do is confirm/deny if the ignition is firing (i.e., put a timing light on the spark plug wires and see if it flashes or not). If it doesn't, you know what's broken; if it does, you'd move on to checking if the fuel pump is working or not.

3. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    Paul, along the lines of what Steve said check if your pump is running. With the ignition switched on you should hear the buzz/whir of the fuel pump (listening at the engine w.the lid up of course). If you don't, or don't know what that sounds like, check the fuel pump fuse. Assuming it's the stock fuseblock/bullet fuses, even though the fuse may appear intact it may not actually be viable. Test by switching it out w.any of the other non-critical 16A red fuses nearby (e.g. defroster which I think is next to the pump).

Could be one of several issues, but what you've described happened to Furio (of the boards here) recently. Lack of pump life confirmed the issue and though the fuse appeared mostly ok (the metal did look a bit sketchy) it actually wasn't. It's an easy, quick check at the very least.

4. Pauly

Pauly Rookie

Nov 30, 2007
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi guys thanks for your help. The starter is moving the shaft and the ignition is firing. I listened for the fuel pump to make some noise before cranking and it doesn't make any noise at all. I swapped around some known good fuses for the fuel pump and nothing changed, then I put in a new electric pump fuse in and still nothing. I think it might be the pump which is new, just over one year old. Any other trouble shooting before I go and change it out? Thanks again guys.

Paul

5. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This is normal for your model -- i.e., the fuel pump only runs if the starter motor is actually cranking (key Pos III) or with the key "on" (Pos II) and the airflow metering plate deflected.

Unplug the blue safety switch on the airflow metering device (which simulates having the airflow metering plate deflected and the contacts inside the safety switch open) and turn the key "on" (Pos II) -- if all is OK, you should hear the fuel pump run. If not, you need to troubleshoot from there. If you do a search on "blue safety switch" you should get a lot of prior similar threads -- Good Hunting!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Pauly

Pauly Rookie

Nov 30, 2007
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Steve, I did some more reading on the blue safety switch (Ferrari chat rules in info thanks). I unplugged the safety switch and put the key to position II and heard nothing from the pump. When I cranked it the deflector plate does go down with with the blue plug unplugged haven't tried it with it plugged in to see if it goes down or not but I'm now thinking the pump might be bad, it was replaced just over a year ago and it's a Bosh pump part #113976. Anything else I might try? Thanks again all.

Paul

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Sure -- next step would be to remove the fuel pump relay (...113) from its socket and add a jumper wire connecting the 30 female terminal in the socket to the 87 female terminal in the socket (with the key "off") as shown in this jpeg:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

If the fuel pump runs with the jumper in place, something in the relays is probably bad -- i.e., try a different ...113 relay in the fuel pump relay position and a different ..101 relay in the "relay for start injector" position.

If the fuel pump doesn't run with the jumper in place, leave the jumper in place, and:
    1. measure the voltage at the top of fuse #3 (the fuel pump fuse) relative to ground - it should always be +12V

2. measure the voltage at the bottom of fuse #3 relative to ground -- this should also be +12V

If you pass 1 and 2, but the fuel pump doesn't run, then you've got to get to the wires at the fuel pump itself and make a voltage measurement there -- but you'll only need to go there if you don't find something wrong here first. Try these things and report what you find.

8. Pauly

Pauly Rookie

Nov 30, 2007
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Steve, thanks I did all that and couldn't get the pump to run. I pulled out the relay 113 and put the jumper in and the pump didn't run. I then measured the DCV at fuse #3 top and bottom and got no Volts with the key off and on Pos II. The battery was fully charged and good to go. I did pull a fuel line near the fuel injector manifold before doing all this yesterday and no fuel coming out when trying to crank, the tank is just over half full with good gas. I did order a Birdman fuse box Friday and should be here soon depending on his schedule should be in the car in the next week or two. I know power is going to fuse #3 before because I goofed up and put a relay 101 in a 113 spot for the fuel relay and the electric pump fuse blew with the key off so it did it's job. Not sure where to go from here any advise? Thanks in advance. Paul

9. Pauly

Pauly Rookie

Nov 30, 2007
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Oooopps, my bad I had my volt meter grounded incorrectly I do have between 12.4 and 12.8 volts on fuse #3 on the top and bottom with the key off and in pos II. The relays and fuses all seem OK. Going to test at fuel pump now.

10. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    Just a note about the fuel pump. Original pumps were Bosch flow thru rotary electrics. When I had mine fail due to water in the fuel system, I checked for the price of a new one at it was over $400.00. I did some addtional checking and found that Porsche in the late 80's thru the mid 90's used the same pump.

The main difference in Bosch flow thru pumps is the diameter of the input and the outflow lines. So if you pop over to a wrecking yard and go thru the Bosch pumps just make sure the inlet and outlet are the same size as the pump you are replacing. I not only found a direct replacement but it had the same part numbers stamped on the body as the original one on my car. As a side note the used pump was $25.00 and they tested it for me before I paid for it.

Howard
    tr0768

11. Pauly

Pauly Rookie

Nov 30, 2007
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks Howard that is very useful info I was just starting the pricing process for the fuel pump of a Bosch #69523 and the best deal I can find is on the Parts Highway web site for $218.99 and goes up from there for the same part at different vendors. I also found one that was an off brand at the Auto Parts Warehouse made by Python for $162 but think I should stick with Bosh. I just tested the positive lead going to the fuel pump at the pump and with the key off there is no reading on volt meter as expected and with the key in PosII it reads .032 volts so power is going to the pump, but is that enough voltage going to the pump shouldn't it be more? Anyway, power is going to the pump I'm just trying to do very thing possible to make sure it's the pump that has failed and not an electrical problem because the pump is only just over a year old so of course no warranty on it just my luck if it is a pump problem. If I have to pull the pump anyone know of a place to test it to see if it's OK or not? Thanks again guys. Paul

12. tr0768

tr0768 Formula Junior

Oct 28, 2008
    maltby wa
    Full Name:
    Howard Musolf
    I would remove the pump from the car and bench test with a fully charged battery. Being careful not to have fuel around the connections when testing. I never suggest testing an electrical fuel pump on the car around the fuel supply. Its a quick and easy removal process, even easier if you have a hoist. I would never use an aftermarket replacement pump. You really have no idea of the real pressure that the aftermarket pump will produce. Using a Bosch pump will give you the knowledge that it is the correct pressure to properly operate the fuel injection system under load.

I'm not sure how you are measuring the voltage at the pump. If I remember correctly you need to hold the key to the actual start position to feed current to the pump thru the relay. So if I am correct you would need one person holding the key on to the start position and another person checking the voltage under the car at the pump wire. I would also check the voltage with the wire removed from the pump. Reason being if the pump is shorted or grounded, this condition can give you a low voltage reading at the pump. Always check the meter with a battery before you test the system. You want to make sure the meter is correct before you crawl under the car and start doing your system checks

Howard
    tr0768

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, that is not enough voltage -- it should be approx +12V (but with the key in Pos II, this would only be true with the safety switch unplugged). Remove the relay and put the jumper in place -- if you get +12V at the pump, but it doesn't run, the pump is bad; if you don't get +12V at the pump, you have a fault in the wiring from the fuse to the pump or from the pump to ground (since you alraedy confirmed you have +12V at the fuse).

14. t3thomas

t3thomas Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    GThomas
    Rather than start another post and without the intention of hijacking this one.........quick question along the same line. On a '84 QV, is the pump supposed to run with the switch in the II position regardless of whether the safety switch is plugged in or not?

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, the fuel pump should only run with the key in Pos II when the saftey switch contacts are "open" -- either by unplugging it, or by deflecting the airflow metering plate downwards if it is plugged in (by either pressing it downwards manually or if the engine is running and drawing in air).

16. Pauly

Pauly Rookie

Nov 30, 2007
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi Steve you'd the man. OK, I can't believe I forgot to pull the blue safety switch. I disconnected it and retested the positive lead at the fuel pump with the key in Pos II and it reads 12.52 volts. Next step today drain fuel from tanks and take out the pump. What's the best way to test this thing, just hook up a 12 volt battery to it on the bench to see if it runs? If I can't get this thing to work I'll buy a Bosh pump and put it in and hope runs. Either way I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks all for your input your great every few months I learn more and more about this car, I LOVE IT. Paul

17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, but it will be no different than what you've already done -- if you measured the voltage between the two electrical posts on the fuel pump itself and got +12V. If you only measured the voltage on the +12V wire hooked to the positive post relative to some other ground, this could measure OK, but the pump not run, if there's something wrong in the connection from the other negative post to ground.

No trouble. Like you, I've acquired what I know the hard way from living with these tempermental mistresses. One thing I always tell people, who gush that it must be incredible driving such a car, is that there is some pain involved too ;)

18. t3thomas

t3thomas Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    GThomas
    Steve:

From your earlier response........what would be suspect if the pump runs both with the safety switch connected and not?

19. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #19 Steve Magnusson, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
    Interesting -- could be several things if your system is unmodified, but it could also be that someone intentionally rewired it to work that way.

Please indicate if a US version or Euro version 1984 308QV.

First thing to do would be to unplug the safety switch and measure the resistance between the two male pins on the safety switch itself when the airflow plate is in the rest position -- should be 0 Ohms (or a few ohms maximum).

Possible Result 1 -- If it (correctly) is 0 Ohms (or just a few Ohms maximum), try a different ...101 relay in the "relay for start injector" (also called "start valve relay"). Also try a different ...113 relay for the "fuel pump relay" (it could just be stuck in the "closed" state).

Possible Result 2 -- If it (wrongly) is infinte Ohms, either the saftey switch is broken, or, maybe, the rest position of the airflow metering plate is incorrectly adjusted. If it is infinte Ohms, use a jumper wire to connect the two female terminals in the connector on the wirning harness (simulating a "closed" safety switch). If the fuel pump then doesn't run with the key in Pos II, at least you know the relays and wiring are OK.

Try some of that, and give the results/findings, and we'll go from there.

20. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Scratch that -- if it was, your fuel pump would be running all the time.

21. t3thomas

t3thomas Formula Junior

May 9, 2008
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    GThomas
    Steve:

My QV is a euro version and I have replaced all the relays w/ new in addition to installing Birdman's fuseblocks and SAE fuses. I'll try your previous comments this evening and report back w/ the results tomorrow. BTW......the car has undergone an 11 month restoration and I am in the final stages of tracking down some electrical gremlins which are apparently the result of POs creative add-ons and wiring. I would sure love to start it up though even if some of the accessory gremlins remain.

22. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Hey,

Did you manage to solve the problem? If so, what was the 'final' solution?

I'm having the same kind of problem on my Mondial QV '82. Presumably, the ground connection does not work properly on the fuel pump. I'll go though the same checklist as you have in this thread. I'll take a few pics to complete the file ;)

23. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    #23 Paul_308, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    INJECTED CARS ONLY - The Cold Start Injector Fuse, located in a white nylon cylinder ABOVE the fuse blocks (308), provides voltage to the fuel pump relay when ignition switch is in 'Start' position thus turning on the fuel pump. Bad contacts or a blown 'Cold Injector' fuse can cause also starting troubles.

With ignition switch in 'Run', the fuel pump relay gets it's turn on instructions through the #3 fuse and then ONLY if the Air Flow switch is open. This requires air flow, or a running engine which can be simulated by unplugging it's blue connector aforementioned above and picture by SteveM back on page 1.

This Switch-over of fuel pump turn-on instructions from Start to Run is the sole function of the 'Start' relay. The Fuel Pump relay receives the turn-on instructions from either start relay or run switch (when there is air flow), to give fuel pump it's needed voltage.

Prior to starting, fuel pump must run to build pressure in the lines. Those with carb cars are familiar with the buzzing sound. With injected cars the fuel pump doesn't see ANY voltage until key is in Start position which is the main reason why an engine, not run recently, takes many seconds for fuel pressure to build up and start. Contrary to carbed car mentality, letting the engine set a few seconds with key in Run position before going to Start or listening for the sound of the fuel pump, accomplishes nothing.