Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 308/328 - Sponsored by Yellow Compass Group

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Mike McFarlin
Thank you Birdman!

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure of driving through the Colorado foothills with a great group of car guys and gals. On the way to Golden I lost power and had to be pushed onto the shoulder. (Oddly, two cops passed by without as much as a honk!) It didn't take long to figure out that I had the dreaded Fuse Block Syndrome that seems to haunt the 308s. I could kick myself because I was aware of the possibility of failure and I ignored it for too long.
Anyway, I cut the drive short, went home, and ordered Birdman's fuse blocks. Simple and quick installation and now everything works better, even the windows! The best part is the renewed confidence in the car. Can't wait for the next run. If you have not done this yet, do it now.
Thanks Birdman!

Mike in Colorado
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 06-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Doug
I am waiting for mine to arrive.

I was going to make my own replacement, then i saw they were offered as direct bolt in replacements and simply ordered them.

I honestly can't believe Italian electrics.

Worse than Lucas, at least the fuse block is. Whoever decided to make the block out of a thermoplastic, that melts under heat needs to go back and take Common Sense 101.

And those lead foil capped ceramic plug fuses, my God. Though they are low tech and can be made in small quaint villages that lack proper plumbing, much less sophisticated machinery.

Doug
Old 06-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Eric Becker
Fix/Make your own

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDoug View Post
I am waiting for mine to arrive.

I was going to make my own replacement, then i saw they were offered as direct bolt in replacements and simply ordered them.

I honestly can't believe Italian electrics.

Worse than Lucas, at least the fuse block is. Whoever decided to make the block out of a thermoplastic, that melts under heat needs to go back and take Common Sense 101.

And those lead foil capped ceramic plug fuses, my God. Though they are low tech and can be made in small quaint villages that lack proper plumbing, much less sophisticated machinery.

Doug
Yea, when I was experiencing a money drought a year or two ago, I noticed my fuse box was getting hot and some stuff was weak and or intermittent.

I started driving around with the cover to the fuse and relay box open and at night I saw stuff arcing. So I started to solder in ATC 12 guage fuse holders just to eliminate the arcing and fire hazard but still keeping the stock blade terminals. I found Birdman's replacment fuse panels a bit ago and saved the link. I have ordered them from Birdman and they are on the way now. :-)

Cant wait to get them.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:57 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: THE Birdman
My Garage
Mike, thanks very much for the public endorsement! (I always like to see a thread that says "Thank You Birdman" as opposed to one that says "Birdman you SUCK!" ) Can I put your comments on my website?

Eric and Doug, yours were both shipped priority mail this morning. Sorry for the delay...I got a little backed up because I had a backorder on some parts.

It has been so long since we had a nice day here in MA, I forget what driving a 308 is like.

Birdman
Old 06-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Rob Mckinney
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
Mike, thanks very much for the public endorsement! (I always like to see a thread that says "Thank You Birdman" as opposed to one that says "Birdman you SUCK!" ) Can I put your comments on my website?

Eric and Doug, yours were both shipped priority mail this morning. Sorry for the delay...I got a little backed up because I had a backorder on some parts.

It has been so long since we had a nice day here in MA, I forget what driving a 308 is like.

Birdman
Hey Birdman, you can add me to the "Happy customer list". My windows didn't go any faster, but all is well. Thank you
Rob
Old 06-29-2009, 03:46 PM
F1 World Champ
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Steven
Quote:
(I always like to see a thread that says "Thank You Birdman" as opposed to one that says "Birdman you SUCK!" )
Hey, i've met this Birdman character many times as he is kinda local to me so i can say (in HUMOR as he truly is a great guy)...

HEY BIRDMAN...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yousuck.jpg (62.0 KB, 545 views)
Old 06-30-2009, 06:30 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
LOL! All my fuseblock customers...
Old 07-01-2009, 04:14 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Hey Gang,
Just so nobody freaks...I'm going on vacation with the family tomorrow and won't be shipping fuseblocks until after July 15. So if you don't hear from me....that's why!

Birdman
Old 07-02-2009, 02:14 AM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: jeff
I just wish the block for the mondial was a simple!!!!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:47 AM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Kim
Smile

Add me to the "happy customer list", best thing I could have done to my QV was to loose the OEM blocks! Thanks Jonathan!
Old 07-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

I ordered a set a couple of years ago and just got around to installing them last night. After I was finished, I went to turn the car on and I couldn't believe how loud the warning buzzer was! Electrics seem much happier. Car feels "newer".

I'm not very mechanical but I was able to do the swap no problem.

Should be done for every car IMO.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Eric Becker
Talking Got mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakko View Post
Yea, when I was experiencing a money drought a year or two ago, I noticed my fuse box was getting hot and some stuff was weak and or intermittent.

I started driving around with the cover to the fuse and relay box open and at night I saw stuff arcing. So I started to solder in ATC 12 guage fuse holders just to eliminate the arcing and fire hazard but still keeping the stock blade terminals. I found Birdman's replacment fuse panels a bit ago and saved the link. I have ordered them from Birdman and they are on the way now. :-)

Cant wait to get them.
I received mine and just put it in, it is amazing how things work/run with the proper amount of juice flow'n to them. My car gets happier with every issue that gets addressed.

Thanks again

Eric
Old 07-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

My car pulls stronger to redline now. Previously, it would surge as I got into the yellow. Now it's powerful and smooth. Better voltage to fuel pump?
Old 07-19-2009, 07:04 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDzingel View Post
My car pulls stronger to redline now. Previously, it would surge as I got into the yellow. Now it's powerful and smooth. Better voltage to fuel pump?
I think you might be imagining that this is attributed to the fuseblocks, but it's conceivable that you had a bad connection in the circuit to the coils on the old blocks.

Birdman
Old 07-19-2009, 08:13 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Mike McFarlin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDzingel View Post
It also could have been a loose fuel pump fuse. I had a similar symptom before I installed the new blocks.

Mike
Old 07-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Three Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Mark W.R.
Quote:
Hey Gang,
Just so nobody freaks...I'm going on vacation with the family tomorrow and won't be shipping fuseblocks until after July 15. So if you don't hear from me....that's why!

Birdman
Bird,

Where does a guy go "on vacation" when his office is 100 feet down on a pristine Caribbean Reef, or other "away from it all reefs of the world." Just wondering ...

Im a very "Happy Camper" owner of your fuse blocks too.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 07-20-2009, 07:23 AM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

I had my '85 QV home approximtaly 12 hours before retrofitting with Birdman fuse boxes. Picked up fuses per the owners manual the day before, and spent about 1 hour making the switch.
thanks B-man!

1/2 way done, new vs. old
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fusebox1replaced.jpg (98.3 KB, 197 views)
Old 07-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Add my thanks to the list.
Fitting the fuses made a lot of improvements in several areas:
- Faster windows
- Better lighting
- Smoother ignition (used to back-fire a lot more, this is a carbed 308 with Hall-effect OEM ignition)
- Tacho was going crazy above 6K RPM, not anymore

I also found that the original transparent plastic covers can just hold in place between the outer fuse holders. Once the outer cover is fitted they stay there.

I'm off on a 3 weeks vacation soon but when I'm back I'll order an additional 4 kits for friends that asked for them.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Steve
When I changed my fuseblocks, I also changed all of the 25 year old relays, doing both will make the electrics 95% more reliable in 308's. (relays are about $100, to replace them all at RockAuto.com or equivalent)
Replace both and drive with confidence.