Removing CV Joints | FerrariChat

Removing CV Joints

Discussion in '308/328' started by Sheldon Rubin, Jul 31, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sheldon Rubin

Sheldon Rubin Rookie

Jul 10, 2006
    I had to replace the inner CV Boot (RH Side) on my '83 Mondial QV. This requires removing the half-shaft along with the CV Joints. Removing the six-bolts at each joint are virtually impossible without rounding off the hex and/or deforming the hex socket. Even when the car is appropriately elevated, there is insufficient clearance to swing a breaker bar with an extension tube. After damaging my hex socket, I was able to remove one bolt using a quality Sears Craftsman hex socket. The second bolt was not removeable and even caused some rounding of the socket. Instead, I found the easiest method was to simply drill a single hole into the lock-nut. I center-punched the flat portion of the hex-nut and used a standard 5/32 inch drill bit. The lock-nut material is not very hard. If one is careful, it is possible to drill through the nut causing only a minor dimple into the bolt; thus saving the bolts. Next, use a longer stem cold chisel to split the lock-nut. Then use the chisel to widen the split by hitting it from the side. Keep the joint from rotating by wedging a large screwdriver into the brake disc slot against the caliper as was recommended in these postings. The bolts can be removed easily and re-used. Metric & Multi-Standard Components stocks metal-only locknuts. They also have 70 mm long 12.9 strength bolts. The correct size is actually 65 mm.

2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

#2 dwhite, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    Wow sounds like you had some trouble there. I had to cobble together serveral different size extensions to get to a point where I could get a long handle ratchet to break them free, sure felt like a couple were going to break before they finally turned, with a slight squeek - a sound I was delighted to hear. I did have one bolt which was stubborn to the point of me borrowing a set of sockets which fit over rounded bolts to get it out, it worked great (so good I bought a set). Regardless, I needed a new locking nut and bolt got it + an extra from Partsource in Maine.

Wait til you have to clean all the old grease out of the CV joint. What a mess. Hope I don't have to do it for many, many, many years.

3. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Hey Dave, I don't recall you bringing those sockets back...LOL Seriously, at $20 a set at Sears every tool kit should have a set. There are different size sockets for different size nuts/bolts regardless of SAE or Metric. The inside of the sockets are machined so that the more effort you put into loosening the bolt/nut the tighter the socket bites into the nut until it just comes right off. There aren't many tools you can get for $20 that are worthwhile - these are the exception.

4. Sheldon Rubin

Sheldon Rubin Rookie

Jul 10, 2006
    The Sears Craftsman Bolt Removal Set that you are referring to won't help remove the lock-nut when it is has the 17 mm head. One of the flats on that lock-nut butts up against the round flange so it is not possible to place the removal socket over it. Now I have heard on this form that some cars use lock-nuts with a 15 mm head; so that might work.

Greasing the CV Joint was not as messy as I had thought. I first cleaned it by immersing it in solvent and giving it a good brushing. When I poured the dirty solvent out of the deep cleaning tray back into the gallon can for storage and disposal, I noticed that there was one ball bearing in the tray! One of the balls slipped out while I was flexing the joint during cleaning. It's a good thing I noticed it because that ball would have ended up in the disposal can which I drop off at the waste oil bin at the local auto parts store! To grease the joint, I used the plastic pouches of grease that came with the GKN CV Boot Kit. I cut off one of the corners and squeezed out the grease into the recesses in the joint bearings; then worked it in by flexing the joint. Sort of like decorating a cake chef's style. Then I placed a plastic bag over each joint as recommended in these postings.

sturrisi likes this.
  5. greg328

greg328 F1 Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Austin, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #5 greg328, Jul 31, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
    I also had a hell of a time getting those CV joint bolts off a few years ago when I rebuilt mine--77 GTB. I was able to get them all off cleanly and re-use them. I had to use a 2-foot socket extension plus a swivel joint to get it done--plus some serious muscle and prayers!

Greg

6. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    It sounds like you are making it a lot harder than it needs to be.

An impact gun with the appropriate combination of extensions and sockets gets it done in a few minutes.

7. Helmut

Helmut Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2004
    I strongly recommend not to reuse the old nuts and bolts but instead get new ones. I removed those with a long extension that reached all the way out of the car, then put a breakerbar on it and then put all of my weight into it and they came lose. You may have to remove the brakes and discs.

Helmut

8. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    I'm in the middle of replacing my CV joints as well. I didn't have near the hard time with the bolts as you, but I sprayed them with penetrating oil for several days before I actually removed the axles while I worked on a couple other projects - I'm also replacing the clutch and rebuilding the rear calipers. I had one split boot and that CV joint was definitely toast; the other were looser than... (I forget her name).

What concerns me is the condition of the grease in the inner CV joints - obvious contamination. A large piece of seal material also came out with the grease. Looking through other Fchat posts I see several people ended up replacing the seals between the flange and the differential. After buying a couple seals from Motion Industries (PN 02335857) I found another thread of posts saying it should be made of krypton or something and be directional. Any comments on the need to go OEM on the seals???

After over 20 years of paying the premium for the yellow box, I'm tired of feeling like a chump ( Ferrari CV joint $228 vs porch for $74 $23.50 for a boot vs $5.00); you all know what I mean...... Anyway, before I actually change the seals - does anyone think it necessary to stick with OEM seals?

Thanks in advance

9. jeffQV

jeffQV F1 Rookie

Feb 13, 2004
    NZ
    Full Name:
    jeff
    Ditto for me last year, knuckles still bear the scars!!!

10. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Nothing like "power tools" to get the job done...

11. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    Similar story .......

1. clean out the head of the socket with degreaser and high pressure water ( Yeah , I know there is a sad old split CV joint in there , be careful )

2. buy a high quality 1/2" drive socket to suit the cap screw head

3. buy a high quality universal joint .....1/2"drive again

4. buy a 3 foot extension ........ a cheap one actually did the job (not too cheap guys)

5. assemble socket drive + universal joint + 3 foot extension + breaker bar + heavy piece of steel tube on the breaker bar handle.

6. this arrangement gets you out from underneath the car

7. use a medium weight hammer to tap the end of the breaker bar so that the socket drive goes fully into the socket head cap screw.

8. sit the outer end of the extension on blocks of wood so it sits reasonably level ..allowing the breaker bar to sit just outside of it.

9. put your foot on the breaker bar and press down with your body weight

10. the capscrews should come loose pretty easy , , as was mentioned by others that feeling that the cap screw is about to break and then a squeek noise and it is undone. 65mm is the right length , making sure the bolts are correct in the left side is more crucial than the right.

I used the 930 Turbo CV joint .......... it's exactly the same and a fraction of the price.

12. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    #12 chrismorse, Aug 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The best band tool i have come across is the Napa tool:
    You can also get some of their stainless bands, which work well.
    With this you can really get the band on securely.

hth,
    chris
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    #13 chrismorse, Aug 1, 2009
    Here is an amazing tool, It probably won't get off a cv bolt, but it will do cam bolts, transfer gear nuts and lug nuts. A pro mechanic has this fine bit of metal and plastic that he takes on the road. It is $30. at Harbor Fright.

If you got tight nuts, you might want to rent a real impact, electric if you don't have a big air compressor. I did mine with the long extensions, (1/2 inch won't wind up as much as a 3/8) and banged up my knuckles. Impact is the way to go.

I would buy a good quality hex wrench, (cheap ones round off and damage the inhex) and replace any bolts that showed any deterioration of the inhex, (so you can be sure of getting it off next time).

Also a good idea - Soak your nuts in Kroil, PB Blaster or Breakaway - I know it smells nasty, but if you are carefull, you won't get any on your clothes :)

If you put your newly packed joints in plastic sandwich bags, you can maneuver the axles in place witout getting grease all over everything and or contaminating the joint with dirt. Once they are about to be mated up, slip off the bag and bolt it up.

hth,
    chris

14. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Any particular year 930 Turbo? And are the CV joints the same on the 78/79 308 as your GTS1?

Thanks,
    Doug

15. samba-lee

samba-lee Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Lee Griffiths
    #15 samba-lee, Aug 1, 2009
    12v impact wrench :: I have one of these too - best £15 I ever spent - I've loosened the crank bolt (that's tight), cam drive nuts, and other big nuts.

Lee

'77 GT4

16. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    Best not to re-use CV bolts. After wrestling with them to get them off there's typically some damage to the hex on the bolt head. And, these bolts do stretch (even a 12.9) and cycle over time. They're not that expensive to replace.

The CV bolts are difficult to remove not only because it's difficult to get a hex socket placed properly in the bolt head and have room to swing but also because the torque setting it quite high and people often use blue thread lock. A better way to go is to use drilled hex socket bolts (drilled for wiring with SS wire) - the bolt won't unwind and you don't have to use threadlock or a really high torque setting or even a lock washer. There's a reason planes and most race cars use a lot of wired fasteners.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-cap-screws/=30c3le

17. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    Doug:

I also have a '79 308 GTS, and just changed my CV joints. I bought mine from Pelecan Parts, and they were about the nicest people I've ever dealt with. shipment came earlier than I was ready for. http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/911M/POR_911M_SUSaxl_pg1.htm#

930-332-034-00-M60 // CV Joint, 911 Turbo (1977-84)
    901-332-293-12-M60 //CV Boot, 911 (1974-mid 1975), 911 Turbo (1975-84)

PS: don't freak if the box says 301174, it's the same GKN part

18. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Robert,

These are the part numbers that I've used for many years now.
    Curious....Did you boots come with clamps? I ask, as some vendors provide and some don't.

Thanks,
    David

19. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    Jet Lag and Fastradio have beaten me to it .......... The 930 CV joint fits (and corrrect me if I'm wrong please) 930's from 76 to 84 , , , , these fit all Ferrari 3X8's and several other models.

They always show up on ebay , , here is an example .. e-bay listing 310069863038 ........... prices from $40 for others listed on the same page

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=930+cv+joint&_sacat=See-All-Categories

I put a $45 one in my 308 and it works perfectly.

20. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    Yep , I got one too , good tool.

21. cessna

cessna Karting

Dec 4, 2008
    Malta
    Full Name:
    Stephen Grech
    Do they fit F328 1986 models too.?

22. Paul308GTSi

Paul308GTSi Formula 3

Oct 26, 2008
    Queensland Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul D
    If the CV joint for a 328 is interchangable with a 308 (and I think they are ) then it should work.

Does anyone have part numbers handy for both F cars ?

How many Ferrari's are there in Malta ??

23. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    One thing to keep in mind if you're buying replacement CV joints - there's a vast difference between new/OEM and "rebuilt" The "rebuilt" CV joints are far from as good. Rebuilt just means that the balls have been measured and any that are out of spec (there's a very wide range of tolerance) are replaced with another used ball. They're then repacked with grease and sold as "rebuilt." So, for the $20 extra per joint go for the new joint.

24. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    Davide:

Nope. And I probably wouldn't have used them anyway if the clamps that came with the boots were the same as the clamp on the Pelican webpage (or the same as OEM Ferrari). I went to NAPA, AutoZone, Performance Parts and even Shucks and didn't like the clamps at any those places - too thin and not very secure. I've had those dimpled clamps come off and I've had 2 or 3 boots that were literally cut by the clamps. I like the thick ones that have a butterfly to bend over the bent over end. I'll check the brand on Monday and let you know. Birdman mentioned 'bandit brand' on his 'how to' (thanks Birdman!); it's a littile difficult to see in his picture, but those look like they have a rather secure end to them. What brand do you use?

25. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    Seems I've invented a new name. I guess that's what happens when you think Dave and type David; sorry David.