3x8 parcel shelf/targa top fabric | FerrariChat

3x8 parcel shelf/targa top fabric

Discussion in '308/328' started by SeattleM5, Jan 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Currently in the process of cleaning up the interior on the 328. I plan on redoing the parcel shelf and targa top with the original wool fabric with tan stripe. I've seen the many helpful posts showing use of leather or vinyl in this area which all look great, however, I'm partial to the original look. After searching here I was able to source the fabric from a few of our usual suppliers. Will gladly pay the $180-200/yard if necessary to complete the project but seems a little steep for just fabric. Has anyone found a source for less than the above quoted price? Any leads would be greatly appreciated.

2. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Quite understand the quest for originality - however one of the things that having the (cream) leather back there has shown me is just how much dirt gets pulled into the car if you drive it with the roof off - especially on Freeways etc & where there is other traffic.

Obviously it'll be less in the country/up in the mountains etc, but anywhere where there is other traffic & it gets filthy pretty very quickly I'm afraid to say. The fabric is notoriously difficult to clean & so you could spend a lot of money on this & find it not staying the way you want it to be for very long at all (depending on where you use the car).

The leather is, if nothing else, extremely easy to clean & restore back to its original state!

3. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    #3 sammyb, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
    Tori --
    Two options: 1) I think Chairpilot (Bob R., who was just up here from California to see his grandkids and drove my GT4 on Saturday) did a good interior thread a year or two ago where he sourced a similar but not identical fabric which would fool 99 percent of the folks for something like $15 in total fabric cost for his 308QV.

2)I believe that when I was digging into factory options back when I got mine, I found that 328s actually had a full-leather interior option which specified leather in those areas. While it might not be correct for your specific car, I think it might be factory-correct for year/model. One of the concours guys could probably confirm or deny this.

4. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    #4 SeattleM5, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
    Thanks for the advice gentleman. Iain, I have no doubt that a non fabric alternative would be much easier to maintain. During my search I believe I came across photos of your car with the cream leather which looks great but there's something about the original fabric that I really like. Sam, I did review Chairpilot's great write up on his parcel shelf project. In fact, it was his instructions that I used to get the shelf out. I was able to source some fabric locally that was very similar to the black stripe that he used, however, I haven't been so lucky finding the tan stripe version which is in my 328. Anyway, on with the search. As always, thanks for the great input.

Almost forgot . . . Sam, I want a ride in that GT4. Remember what happened the last time I rode in one of your cars.

5. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    If you are interested in originality, FerrParts has stock of the shelf pieces already covered in the color you mention. I went through it all looking for my fabric (grey honeycomb) which they did not have. I also found ReOriginals had the factory fabric, but at the prices you were quoting. Either option is expensive. If originality is not a concern, go to an auto upholstery shop and look at their selection samples... there is a LOT out there at 5-20 dollars per yard.

I know I'll get hammered for this, but I don't like leather seats... in any car. Too hot in the summer - too cold in the winter. My Ferrari seats are now my garage chairs (they were worn and hard but I'm going to try the techniques on the list to clean them up and restore them someday). I bought Momo seats which are way more comfortable and more supportive. I had them recovered in an open/coarse weave fabric (like race car seat) and had the same shop recover all my shelf pieces in the same fabric so as to tie the new seats to the interior better.

Also, most of the modern automotive fabrics have great wear and UV protection you won't find in the older stuff.

Rick

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That is an interesting idea, updating the stock seats with the modern Tech Fabrics...

I think if ReOriginals (here in Houston) can source it the OEM patterns/colors, they MAY be one of the only ones that can......

7. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    Not to go too far off topic, but can you post some pictures of this?

Thanks - DM

8. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    Original 308 Quattrovalvole/ 328 + Mondial coupe wool headliner material was originally manufactured by Ermenegildo Zegna. It might be possible to have SMS in Oregon recteate it for you. They will requre a large minimum order, but the price/yard will be cheaper. You might make your money back + some when you sell the rest of it off.

9. ramosel

ramosel Formula 3

Sep 11, 2004
    Meadow Vista, CA
    Full Name:
    R Moseley
    #9 ramosel, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
    Dave,
    Yes, but only partially. When I brought the seats home I did a test fit/look and then put them back in their boxes until I finish more of the interior. I neglected to take pics with the seats in at that time. (dumba$$)

I forgot to mention I also got enough material for them to do the bottom of the targa top too - in my attempt to tie everything together visually. You can see my interior pics here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moseley_ferrari/sets/72157621788322687/

Look for 189, 195 and 216-219.

Rick

10. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Thanks Michael, I appreciate the advice!

11. sammyb

sammyb Formula 3

Jun 23, 2006
    Where wife tells me
    Full Name:
    Sam
    The GT4 keys are waiting for you. Bring the family down...while the wives catch up and kids play we'll go out and have some driving fun.

12. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    On my black interior of my 308 i sprayed a six dollar can of dye on my rear shelf and it couldn't look better. The dye hasn't run or faded in over a year. Before the dirty gray fabric stuck out like a sore thumb.

Looks great now.

13. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    #13 SeattleM5, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    For kicks I contacted the folks at Ermeneglido Zegna asking if they had any any fabric left over from the 80's and this is the message/photo that they sent back:

Dear Mr. Palazzo,
    Thank you for contacting Zegna Intouch. After some research, we were able to discover the original advertisement from an old issue of la Repubblica from 1981 which features Ermenegildo Zegna in conjunction with Ferrari. Unfortunately, due to the seasonal nature of our collections and limited quantities of fabric production in our Italian mills and the time elapsed since this project, such fabric is no longer available or still in production.
    Please feel free to contact me with any other questions or concerns. Thank you for your interest in Ermenegildo Zegna and we look forward to your continued patronage.

Best regards,
    Lisa Sabetta
    Zegna Intouch

Although I was born in the states, the first language was Italian. Here in Seattle I so rarely get to use it. Finally an opportunity. . . The caption from the photo translats to: "To make a Ferrari you also need 5 meters of the best fabric in the world."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Which Zegna fabric do you need? Black, beige, red or blue? How many meters?

I can have it.

Ciao

Rossco and Matto like this.
  15. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    #15 tinterow, Dec 22, 2015
  16. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Ciao Alberto! Where were you 6 years ago? That post was from January, 2010! . . .come vola il tempo! I ended up paying up and purchasing the original fabric here in the US.

17. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Ciao Enrico, purtroppo 6 anni fa non avevo nessuna Ferrari!

ciao

Alberto

18. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew

I'm wondering if any source for this fabric still exists? I was trying to find in here which years/models were built with the fabric from Zegna.

I've got an '85, with a black interior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
  20. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew
  21. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #21 Thomas Magnum, Mar 22, 2017
  22. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Keep us posted on how you went and where you ended up getting the cloth from.

Thanks

23. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew

I certainly will.

24. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew

25. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    #25 dave80gtsi, Mar 22, 2017
    Old thread, but I second the idea of ditching the cloth and doing in all up in crème leather.

Did mine 10 years ago, easy to clean, still looks and smells like new.