308 clocks | FerrariChat

308 clocks

Discussion in '308/328' started by 2dinos, Jul 10, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Is there anybody who makes the gears that go inside the Veglia clocks? I made some special tools to dissassemble it ~20 years ago, and once apart, I noticed the gear that attaches to the shaft for setting was cracked right thru from the gear root to the hub. I put some glue on it figuring it's so lightly loaded, it'll hold -- - - Well it broke today. If / when I go back in, I'm putting in a new gear.

Seems like a huge pain to make from a little block of brass or Aluminum.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  3. Papa Duck

Papa Duck Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Carl
    +1 Nick is great. He refurbished my clock a couple of months ago and it is like a new clock.

4. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2007
    Mooresville,Nc (Race
    Full Name:
    Bill Long
    Nick does great work and very reasonable pricing.
    BL

5. Crallscars

Crallscars F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2006
    Bainbridge, GA
    Full Name:
    Douglas Crall
    I would rather have a gear box oil temp gauge there, I already have a clock in my radio

6. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Palo Alto Speedometer does nice work as well.

7. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.
    I have these gears (new) for these Veglia clocks... aluminum gears would strip the nylon/plastic gear it meshes with making matters worse. Glue will not work, maybe in the short term, but I've seen some clocks come in to me in horrendous condition after the owners tried to restore/repair them.

Cheers,

Nick

8. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    #8 2dinos, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Nick,
    Part of the passion (for me) in owning these beasts is that I pride myself on being able to delve into problems actually enjoying the experiences. I have a fair arsenal of resources available; but, as I get older and more responsibilities dumped on me, the sparkle is fading, and I have less patience. I made a new crystal from 2mm acrylic and cast up a new gear to replace the cracked one with epoxy and trimmed it under a microscope. It actually works well. Now I've come to realize, the motor doesn't turn. I thought something was fishy that the time was so far off - I went to set it and that gear which is a common failure point let go. So now I have an electrical problem. The motor is open! Do you have these? I am really REALLY close to shippping it off. The thought of spec-ing that wire and winding it just sounds depressing. My option is hunting a new clock.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Bradley

Bradley F1 Rookie

Nov 23, 2006
    Lakewood, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Bradley
    I have to admire how hard you're willing to work for this sort of thing.

10. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Thank you.
    A good buddy of mine always jokes, "How We Love Them So!"

11. CliffBeer

CliffBeer Formula 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Seattle, Washington
    Full Name:
    Cliff
    I just ran this same drill on my 308 clock - made a new face with .093 lexan cut on my milling machine and made a new brass gear. No doubt Nick is right about the different wear rates of brass v. plastic but I figure it'll go probably 10 years before it becomes a critical failure (we'll see...).

In any case, if you're a 308 owner and you want to have a nice looking (non-cloudy) clock with a functional adjustment mechanism then save yourself a lot of work here and send it to Nick. You can easily spend 3-4 hours on one of these fine clocks, and that assumes you have very good skills and proper tools and resources to do the job right! If Nick charges anything less than a couple hundred bucks then he's clearly doing this as a favor to f-chat colleagues.

12. Radiopilot

Radiopilot Karting

Dec 10, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Full Name:
    Nick R.
    I also have to admire the work you're doing escpecially since I have hundreds of the small black gears for the adjustment knob... The best thing to do really is to ship the clock to me before one of the internal gears break (these gears are extremely difficult to source), I have them in my parts bin... I can turn the clock back into almost a brand new clock... The motor cannot be pulled off the circuit board since the very fine motor wires are wrapped around the two pins, any attempt to remove the solder from the motor pins destroys the wires and the motor is toast. It is best to have the entire mechanism removed and as you can see the top plate is bonded to the lower plate by melted plastic at three locations.

The cost to restore the clock is a lot more reasonable than the time it took for you to get this far, also I have a dust room where I work on these instruments so you'll be assured the clock will not have lint, pieces of plastic, or oil on the crystal, etc.

Nick

13. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  14. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Face and hands look different than on my 80 gtsi. My clock has blue and white hour and minute hands and white second hand. Also the hour markers are different on the face. Case, bezel and rear connections look the same.

These seem to have really shot up in price in the last couple of years. The last ones I sold were for less than 1/4 this price.

15. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  16. kimbo 308

kimbo 308 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 11, 2012
  17. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Is Radio Pilot still in the clock business?

18. fast eddy

fast eddy Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2010
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Ed Davenport
    #18 fast eddy, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a very rare new old stock new in box 308 veglia clock. I searched for 5 years for it. They are pricey due to their rarity. I no longer have the 308, and I might be willing to part with it for what I have into it plus $100 for my search. This would be perfect for a concours restoration, or for someone who wants brand new originality. Brace your selves, the price is not for the faint hearted! I would need $700.00 to let it go.

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  20. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Perhaps the simpler unstressed clock parts would be a good application for 3D printing providing proper tolerances could be achieved.

21. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Seeking the little black adjustment gear. Does Nick (radio pilot) still stay in touch ???

22. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    I've got the clock out of my QV that needs to be redone, is anyone around that still fixes them besides Palo Alto?

23. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Did you read post #2 and #3?

24. 4re308

4re308 F1 Rookie

Jun 13, 2001
    Woodstock, GA
    Full Name:
    Mitch D
    Yes I did but he has not been on Fchat since 2013....was wondering if anyone else besides Palo Alto does these clocks...

25. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Palo Alto did not have the time adjustment gear. May be a RC or hobby shop.