Tint or not to Tint - That is the Question... | FerrariChat

Tint or not to Tint - That is the Question...

Discussion in '308/328' started by Inowownone, Nov 18, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Inowownone

Inowownone Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Tom W.
    I did a search and did not see any results. I was curious to know who has their 308/328 windows tinted and do they like it or not. I personally do not and kind of like the clear glass. I usually have the top off and windows down - anyways. Just curious to hear from the family. Cheers, Tom
    I guess a "POLL" would be nice...

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Any car with air conditioning already has tinted glass.....

The Boxer guys have discussed a new solar tinting, as they are always trying to help out the marginal A/C against that honkin' front windshield...

There's a thread in that Section.

3. viper_driver

viper_driver Formula Junior

Jan 1, 2009
    Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #3 viper_driver, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. mid328

mid328 Karting

May 4, 2006
    Glen burnie, Md
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I am getting ready to tint mine now it will definateley help in the summer and it looks good

5. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    I have to admit that I have thought about it - I saw a couple photos here when it was discussed before. One that I really liked was a black car with darkly tinted windows - I thought it looked great!!!

PDG

6. PT 328

PT 328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2005
    I tinted all of the windows including the windshield with 50% tint. It does wonders for the cabin temperature during California summers.

7. bill brooks

bill brooks F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2007
    waynesburg,pa
    Full Name:
    bill brooks
    someone tinted gabriella before i got her.

then someone else tried to remove it later and left a horrible job
    around the inside windshield trim.

i'd kneecap both of them if i knew who they were.

8. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    as someone who isnt shy of a non-original ferrari, i have never liked tinting on the 308.

9. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    No tint vote from me.

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If it's really that hot and it's legal, and it's sits most of the time outside then I say tint it

11. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    Common sense says the car will be cooler but how much? Those I've talked with say tint just LOOKS cooler.

And there is a significant night time safety concern, especially after age 30, significant after age 60, which should be factored in plus the legal liability. Check the laws for your state here: http://www.tintcenter.com/laws Most appear to require about 70% light to enter.

Police in some areas now carry a light transmission meter to measure legality. More and more tickets are being written for tinted windows plus tinting is now viewed a valid reason for initiating a police stop.

Bottom line, side windows are a small part of cabin sun exposure, the windshield and top are the largest heat entry points. Think about the sun angle and the side window angles being vertical, only one side window is illuminated compared with windshield and top. Sorry, I can't find any reason to tint, at least until they come out with a tint which stops filters only UV (heat rays) and not visible light.

12. Papa Duck

Papa Duck Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Carl
    There was an article in the Las Vegas paper a few years ago that said the tint didn't actually reduce temperatures in a parked car. I can't remember their source of the data, but I have never liked the heavy tint. I don't like anything that cuts down on my vision. I guess it is a factor of age.

I don't like all of the cars in Las Vegas that have the real dark tint. I rather prefer to see the other drivers and know if they are paying attention or talking on the phone. I am sure that the police have to be wary approaching these cars, and I would not like to be one of these drivers with a nervous policeman walking up to me with his hand on his weapon.

13. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
  14. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Here in Hawaii, being as sunny as it is, tint is very popular and legal. There are all sorts of degrees of tint with varying reflectivity. Running the gamut between a mirrored surface look all the way to blacked out and all degrees inbetween. I am not convinced one way or the other but the idea that I could sort of "vague out" my facial features for a little anonymity seems like a good way to go considering the class distinctions here. If there are arguments that it protects the interior surfaces and cools the cabin too I suppose it makes a lot of sense.

15. Paul_308

Paul_308 Formula 3

Mar 12, 2004
    #15 Paul_308, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
    Actually, Hawaii has quite restrictive laws whereas a few states still have none. I posted a state law url (above) but find this table easier to read.

http://www.iwfa.com/PreProduction_copy%281%29/consumer_info/auto_statelaws.html

The numbers are just all over the place which must present a nightmare to film providers.

Wierd

16. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    We have to get a yearly safety check on our cars and the dreaded stickers that go with it and it costs 15 bucks more to have the car inspected with tinted windows but there is no way the state has a lot of restrictions based on the shear numbers of cars that have soo much tint. I want to say that 1 car in 3 is tinted and 1 in 5 is so dark that you can't see the passengers. With all the LEO's trying to fund the state there is no way Hawaii is very restrictive with regard to tint. Maybe I am missing something?

17. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #17 PAP 348, Nov 19, 2010
    Id tint mate. :D:D

Tinted the windows on my 348 the same day I bought my car. :):)

I want to own a 308 one day and I will be tinting those windows also. :):)

Just remember the tint can always be removed if need be without any issues. ;);)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. buckminster

buckminster Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2005
    On the water, SWFL
    Full Name:
    Nicholas Raftis
    I live in Florida and the I have tinted the rear window and the side windows. It helps in the "Sunshine State".

19. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I tinted my Miata the same week I bought. Have not done the F but would if I drove in sun on a regular basis. Tint protects interior which is why my 96 Miata interior has no cracks, fade, or any other flaws. Duh, it looks really cool too. All stealthy.

20. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #20 D.Mauro, Nov 21, 2010
  21. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    No front bumper?

22. D.Mauro

D.Mauro Formula 3

Jun 18, 2006
    Cumming/ Hlwd Fl
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #22 D.Mauro, Nov 21, 2010
  23. Inowownone

Inowownone Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    Tom W.
    Pap, What percentage tint did you use? I think 35% is the limit on the side windows in Texas. This looks closer to 20% - which is only legal on the back window (I think). Just curioust.

24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    What's a California summer get to? About 78?

I'll trade you your's for mine. I am just glad I don't live in Florida...

25. maestro8

maestro8 Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 2, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Jason
    The guy's just pulling your chain.

Here in Cali we can't tell the difference between summer, fall, winter and spring, except that some days are longer than others. :)