GT4 fuel lines sizes in question | FerrariChat

GT4 fuel lines sizes in question

Discussion in '308/328' started by stephen308gt4, Jun 1, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stephen308gt4

stephen308gt4 Karting

Dec 28, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Hi all,
    I am about to replace every fuel line on my gt4 and wondering if anyone out there knows the sizes of the fuel lines needed and how much length that I will need to do the complete job?
    Thanks in advance

2. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Sorry, I can only partially help.

Highly recommend you buy SRI's fuel hose kit for your model from Ricambi (sponsor here) and that will solve all your problems; sourcing and length-wise.

You will get a few more bumps with the same advice I am reasonably sure.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Very good suggestion as Ricambis kits have superior line materials...

I think in the 308 Section sticky thread there's a list of alll the sizes you need from the small carb return line to the RH fuel tank, up to the cross connect pipe couplings and the fuel filler neck...

Have fun!!!!

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I once did all of my GT4 fuel lines, brake vacuum line, and coolant hoses for $200 (if my memory serves). I am sure the SRI kit is much more. But, I figure if I keep on top of it, it would not be a problem using inferior hoses from Napa.
    Oh, yes, sizes are all over the map because there are so many different little ones. I suggest you take them all out, measure the lengths of what you need, take some samples to Napa and buy what you need.

5. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I understand a VW dealership may be the best place to find the metric sizes, from other threads.....

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I just buy standard sizes at Napa. Fuel injection hoses, fuel hoses, coolant hoses, gates hoses, etc.. The car does not seem to mind that these are not metric denominations

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    OP is in the UK....

I agree though I just ended up buying the remainder of the spool at the Parts Store I was using, left with a armful of Goodyear tubing!!

8. DWPC

DWPC Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2011
    Sedona AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Be mindful that mandated high ethanol content in gasoline has just raised hell with old-spec nitrile fuel lines in older cars in the US. Even if you don't have high percentage E-fuel yet, its coming in the EU too, so select your new hose accordingly.

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's what the special Ricambi kits are designed for.

10. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    #10 cockrill, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
    I also recommend getting the hoses from Ricambi. I actually sourced my own (most from West Marine), but what a pain. I spent WAY too much time working on getting the hoses for my Mondial. I saved a few bucks, but it was not worth the effort.

When you replace the hoses, make sure to have some "good" screw-clamps available to replace rusty ones that you remove. The good ones to look for are ones that don't pinch the hoses. I bought some good ones at West Marine, but you may want to search here on FerrariChat to see what others have used.

(By the way, West Marine is a "boating supply" chain here in the U.S. They carry some higher grade hoses and clamps than most of the auto parts stores around where I live...)

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Marine ratings are alcohol tolerant as it's a water emulsion additive LONG before they had the bright idea to use it as a fuel strecther in autos.

Mercury Racing outboards moved away from rubber fuel lines about 20 years ago.

12. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    I agree. All standard are still better then the original quality anyway, and they lasted for how long... Save money and use it for gas instead.
    /Pero

13. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I sent Dave all the info on my hose lengths from my measurements. If you do not decide to use his which I would really encourage as that is where i got mine. i could send you my data if you e-mail me and dont mind a few days wait...

Rob

14. md88plt

md88plt Karting
    BANNED

Mar 4, 2008
    usa
    Full Name:
    dc
    I was able to find braided oem type fuel lines at a local desiel truck shop. I used oem tank crossover fuel line from Trutlands (130.00 us dollars).

15. stephen308gt4

stephen308gt4 Karting

Dec 28, 2010
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Thanks a lot guys, This is a wealth of info, I don't mind paying for the best as I am keeping the car a long time and would rather have piece of mind knowing a line isn't going to cause an inferno, not just watching it burn but also I carry my 3 year old boy around in it quite often.
    I will let you know how I get on.

16. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    By any chance did they (truck shop) have 19mm ID braided hose?

17. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    #17 guygowrie, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Posting in this old thread as it has the right title.

Most posts I recall seeing suggest 5/16 for most fuel lines and 1/4 for the return line from the last carb to the right hand side tank nipple.

This hose:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    #18 guygowrie, Apr 23, 2017
    On my car (75 gt4, Us spec) the 1/4 (6.35 mm) between carb and tank felt sloppy and so I measured the o/d of the brass carb outlet and the tank inlet nipple with some simple calipers. Both were 5mm.

Today I fitted 5mm i/d braided hose bought from Pelican Parts - I wasn't looking for braided but thats what they had. The line fitted snugly and felt very 'right'.

Ofcourse, the line looks puny to the 1/4 but I suppose that the amount of fuel it needs to carry is substantially less than the fuel lines to the carbs. Perhaps it even provides a little back pressure so that the 4th carb gets the same pressure as the first in line?

Just wanted to mention it here as I cant recall seeing elsewhere that this return line/hose has an i/d of 5mm.

Happy to be told I've got it wrong.

Comparison 5 mm to 6.35mm (1/4)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    The correct IDs needed are 7.5mm and 5.5mm for the hose from the last carb back to the passenger side fuel tank. Readily available in the metric world.

These are the lengths (in mm) for all pieces from the pump to the carbs, between the carbs and back to the right tank. For a GTB, but I assume GT4 is the same.

Ø7,5:

Ø5,5:

Best Regards
    Martin

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I used choline from stoddard Porsche braided looks the same just a little smaller od

21. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    While Cohline is OEM-manufacturer and supplies good quality, with today's fuel I would only use DIN 73379-E3 hose.
    This is FPM/ECO-hose, much more resistant than the old NBR (cloth braided) or NBR/CR-hose (smooth rubber)
    The Cohline no. for these FPM/ECO hose is 2240.
    I have Wurth-hoses on my car. Supplied by Cohline with this specification.

Best Regards
    Martin

22. guygowrie

guygowrie Formula 3

Sep 19, 2011
    ct
    Full Name:
    guy s
    Thanks Martin, 5.5 would make sense too, especially getting over the flair on the Weber outlet (although the 5.0 went on easily enough.
    I agree with the comments on the braided hose. Will seek out some good 5.5mm hose. Thanks for commenting.

23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I believe mine were e10 or e15

24. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #24 Martin308GTB, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    This E3 in the number has nothing to do with ethanol. It's simply a DIN- number. Like ISO or SAE numbers.
    Those FPM/ECO-hoses are even flexi-fuel or E85 resistant.

Best Regards
    Martin

25. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    #25 absostone, Apr 24, 2017