Ferrari 308 engine rebuild, basic questions?? | FerrariChat

Ferrari 308 engine rebuild, basic questions??

Discussion in '308/328' started by RAMMER, Aug 4, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    #1 RAMMER, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
    Greetings: I am doing some preliminary research for an engine rebuild on my 1976 308 GTB. I have already looked at the Forza articles, visited some F-car tuner web sites, and read past threads here.

The goal is to put together a mostly stock engine for the next 30 years of ownership. Like everyone else, I would not mind picking up a few horse power along the way.

First question, what are the basic parts that we change in a standard rebuild with stock heads? I saw a kit that included the following:

Pistons and ring set
    Connecting rod bearings
    main bearing set
    gasket set
    intake and exhaust valves
    valve guides
    valve guide seals

I know more parts may come up but are these the basics?

Next questions:

It seems that JE pistons are the way to go. I read not to exceed 10:5:1 compression. How does 10:5:1 compression affect driveability and durability. What benefits can I expect from the higher compression? HP gain?

Also, feel free where I can save money and gain HP....

That is a start, more questions later.....Thanks in advance!

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    That's pretty much a standard "kit" for rebuilding an engine. As you noted, more stuff may, and probably will, show up. Obviously, machine work will be necessary to install the new guides and subsequent valve job. Be sure NOT to order parts until the engine is apart since you won't know what size items to buy depending (bearings, rings, etc etc.) on existing clearances or any machining that might be necessary.

As far as hi comp pistons - you will gain about 3-4% HP per one full point of compression increase. On one of these engines, one point would be worth around 7-8HP. Driveability will be fine since one of the advantages of higher compression is more power throughout the power range. 10.5:1 would be the absolute max I would recommend with current, regularly available pump gas.

3. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    The other question would be, is it carb or CIS? the carb engines with the better cams and breathing produce better results with a bump in compression then the anemic CIS, there's a quite a bit of overlap on these motors so dynamic compression is fairly.

With the head work get the springs checked to make sure there still in spec and the valve seats as well. Wouldn't hurt to do some porting as well to improve velocity and flow, the 2v heads are pretty bad in that area.

And Mike's right it's not a good idea to order parts until you've pulled apart and inspected the engine to see what needs replacement. You may find some items have worn and the replacement cost will eat into the budget to where you may have to drop the 'want' items in order to rebuild the engine.

head studs are one issue, replacement cost is very high. you mention wanting another 30yrs of service life. Check the oil pump and clearances. replace all bearings and upgrade where possible, esp the water pump. Have a competent machine shop who's familiar with the 308 blocks do any needed machining.

4. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    It is a carbed 308 glass car that ran very strong. I dont really want to port the heads. I would be relatively happy with a 20 HP gain mostly due to compression. Any other place to find cheap/simple HP?

5. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    How many miles are on it and why did it quit running?

6. JOHN SHAW

JOHN SHAW Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 29, 2011
    it is better to sell everything for what you can get right now before putting 1 cent into this
    FERRARI take the cash you are planning to throw away on this car & buy something with
    more hp that is standard & would have more value in the long run, dont do what the cheap
    skate does,best thing to do is sell what you already have & buy another FERRARI or you will
    be sorry dont make the same mistake most guys do

7. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That's one point of view...and uncalled for. Since he said "the next 30 years of ownership" I assume he actually wants THIS car and price really doesn't matter.

8. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    My car had about 50k miles and it was running great. It did not smoke and I never had to add a drop of oil. One day, a few months ago, I decided to take a nice drive as I often do. The irony is that I decided to document my evening and share it with all of you. Please see the thread below which I titled "Diary of a 308 owner". On my way back home that night my car suddenly loss power. It did not sound good. I parked the car intantly and had it towed to a shop that my family operates. I was only going about 20 miles an hour.

In the past few months, I tried to get my car to my mechanic but he was not available. We then did a compression test and found 0 compression on one piston (the other 7 were perfect). I then removed the head and found a valve had failed, causing damage to the piston. As simple as that, a great running engine now needs to be rebuilt. All because of one valve.

If you cannot tell by the thread, I love my car dearly. Selling or changing is not an option. We will make a comeback.....this time with significantly better valves!

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294174

9. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    #9 RAMMER, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
    What if you just happen to love 308's? What if you have a 1976 fiberglass carbed 308 which from what I understand is very desireable. What if your the type of person who gets emotionally attached to these old beasts?

Speaking of value, these early 308's seem to keep going up in value. It seems to me that in the next few years their value will surpass the faster, with more standard HP Ferraris that you mention.

I understand what you are saying but this is a totally different situation. It is not a money pit. I love my car and can't ever imagine selling it. Check out my thread encouraging ownership and spreading the love that 308s can add to your life!

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=196143

Also, whatever the cheap skate does, I will not be doing.

10. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Really sorry this happened...and makes me paranoid as hell! :-o

11. JOHN SHAW

JOHN SHAW Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 29, 2011
    if it was a quattrovalvole maybe,get a EURO 260 horse power already,think about this
    lots of EURO QUATTROVALVOLE 308'S for sale if FLORIDA look at craigslist some good
    out there,florida has the cheapest price for there cars because of the ECONOMY

dont let anyone tell you different, you might have to sell in case of emergency anytime
    life holds no guaranteed,economy,job,home, you got the picture

12. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Dude take a break. It's his car, he loves it, and you're out of line.

13. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I agree, JOHN SHAW back off a little ok?

14. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Re wanting 20 more hp...What's the stock compression on the engine? If it's down around 9:1 then put in the 10.5 and run synthetic 0w40 and you will essentially have that 20 hp over the stock motor/Dino oil. 0w40 is worth 8-10 hp at max power over something like 20w50 Dino which a lot of people run in these cars (though Ferrari doesn't recommend it).

15. tempest411

tempest411 Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2010
    Rebuilding the engine in your car may not make the most sense financially to some, but then I would suggest that those same people wouldn't buy one of these cars to begin with. And they should be prevented from doing so, for the sake of more appreciative owners if all they want to do is chop it up the moment something goes wrong. The hours spent rehabilitating your car will go a long way towards making the car yours in the sentimental sense, as opposed to just something you own. So many here always suggest getting a car that is 'well sorted'. I understand the argument, but where's the fun in that? I say go for it. Learn all you can, be patient, and don't spare the bank account (within reason)!

16. wazie7262

wazie7262 Formula 3

Feb 13, 2008
    Temecula, CA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Euro QVs = 240 HP (maybe...if we believe Ferrari), not 260. Also...it's a glass car; how often do you see one of those up for sale? How often do you see QVs up for sale? What does this tell you?

17. saw1998

saw1998 F1 Veteran

Jun 8, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Scott:

You speak the truth, my Brother. Hang on to your 308 and spend the money necessary to get it to the level you desire. You, without equivocation, own what will become one of the most desirable Ferraris in the relatively near-future.

If I wanted an engine rebuilt by a master, I would send my car (or the engine alone) to Scuderia Rampante in Boulder, CO. Dave Helms will give you a rebuild unequaled by anyone else. Moreover, for the price will be surprising low, considering the level of quality.

18. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    I seem to recall some of the techs here talking about minor repairs for such issues if the piston isn't too damaged. I thought there was talk of taking any burrs off the piston, replacing the offending valve. That is contingent on no issues with rod or bearings. At 50K, if the damage is isolated, this "might" be a good time to do all new valves and reinstall the heads. It looks like you use your car as a pleasure driver and this simple fix may set you up for the next 30 years with no loss of power or usability. If this is even a consideration and it was my car I'd certainly have conversations with a couple of the best techs. Over repair only costs more money and my budget doesn't support a rebuild, but if an experienced tech had faith in a repair instead of a full rebuild, I'd be game.

19. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    John Shaw..If you are trying to suck all of the air out of this room, please, at least subcribe to Fchat, as most of us here depend on this forum as a very welcome life-line for the cars we love, and we come here for much needed mutual help from each other. Otherwise, take a "lude" or maybe better yet just take a hike..Over...

20. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northen California
    Full Name:
    Ken
    #20 mustardfj40, Aug 5, 2011
    It still has the early sodium valves???

An engine rebuild may cost you dearly but as long as you're happy. Please posts pictures of the car as it's being worked on.

Best of luck!

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No one in their right mind would trade an early fibreglass NON CAT DOT legal carbed 308GTB for a f%^*$%*%^ing injected QV??????

You need to quit smoking crack man, it's effected your reasoning.

Why don't you run along looking for a $15K 308 that you can afford, and leave those of us with the means to play with early carbed Ferraris paying CASH for the entire purchase to enjoy our 'hobby"???

Your barely coherent posts warning doom and gloom and financial ruin to Ferrari owners are getting pretty tiresome. I played along with you for two weeks because I thought you might have something to offer the community.

I'm off to reccomend you be banned if you don't knock it off.

We ALL KNOW our early cars are worth MORE MONEY broken to pieces and sold off for parts.......BUT if we all threw in the towel, on ownership exactly WHO would these vultures SELL the parts TO???????

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #22 BigTex, Aug 5, 2011
    You want the original engine in an early car, if at all possible, IMO.

RAMMER, all the OEM pistons for the 308 are gone, used in warranty of the oil burners in '81, however, you might want to run it by someone like Tim Stanford, if a replacement period piston would make a suitable replacement, I think there is a minor variation in weights, and the object would be to replace the damaged one with a close as possible replacement to maintain engine balancing.

Dave Helms might be another good source (I know he has a stash of the correct stainless steel replacement valves) and I really think you might could get out for less than a total rebuild?

I'd want the very best consultation before making a final decision.

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Florida has the most cheap Ferraris for sale because the state is loaded with marginal dealerships, the sun bakes the heck out the leather, the salt rusts them into the ground and it easy to wash a title there.

Craigslist...........gimme a break!

24. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Tex, from what I have read it makes little sense to use the original Borgo pistons. They are still available by the way. I understand that they are just not that good. They are also different from the much better pistons used in the QVs. The sodium valves should also be replaced. As I mentioned, I don't want to port the heads or bore out the engine but I will use the better internal components available now.

25. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    My car has always been serviced by Tim Stanford. He completed a major service 2-3 years ago and rebuilt my carbs last year. I spoke to Tim a few months ago and he tried to help me diagnose the problem by way of phone. Keep in mind that my car was still running but very poorly. All the while we were waiting for a time when I could get my car in his shop. I have called Tim several times but he has not replied. I heard from a classic car dealer that Tim is simply not taking in much work. It is because of Tim's unavailability that we pulled off the head and found the bad news.

At one point I asked Tim for the cost of a basic engine rebuild and his reply was $10-12k. I figure $5000 in parts and the rest is labor but that is just my guess of the breakdown.

That sounds like a lot less than some of the numbers thrown around here but then again Tim probably builds cars to spec unlike Norwood and Carubo who tune cars endlessly to get every single HP!