308 Plenum Install | FerrariChat

308 Plenum Install

Discussion in '308/328' started by Glassman, Apr 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I've read the old threads but nothing seems mentioned about the gasket. Is it re-usable or will I need a new one? The way the bolts are placed looks impossible to torque. Do you just tighten the hell out of it? Will it break loose easily?

2. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    I Have reused them and had no issues but I would not reuse them if they felt brittle or were deformed to the point were they did not match the ports. As far as torquing them I went by feel using new lock washers.

3. Constance

Constance Karting

Apr 10, 2009
    Kembs - France
    Full Name:
    Constance
    The gaskets can be reused, but I would recommend to replace it. Take care that the bushings drop not in the intakes, otherwise you will be in deep s...t, lol
    Regarding the torque, if Ferrari can torque it, you should be able as well.

4. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    You can reuse as long as the rubber is in good condition and the holes aren't squeezed permanently into polygons. As mentioned, be aware of the spacers and the pins, and the alignment of the gaskets with the pins.

5. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    The correct answer is....that's depends. The rubber gaskets seal based on the "crush." In that with a new rubber gasket, the thickness of the gasket is greater than the limiting crush collar, all seals up nicely. So, measure your crush collars and then measure your rubber gasket. If the difference is great than say .020", you're all set. If both the spacer and the gasket are near equal in thickness, get new ones.

Regarding tightening the eight "under plenum" nut. If they are tight, very tight or kind of tight, the gasket crush remains the same. So, by hand and experience, snug is good enough. As clearance is tight around some of these nuts, I make it a habit to replace them with new. The factory never used lock washers on these nuts; convectional flat washers will do just fine.

What you don't want to do is proceed, presume that the gaskets are OK....then spend months tracking done that elusive vacuum leak that you created by reusing parts that looked "OK".

6. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Thanks all....new gasket it is.

7. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Four gaskets Glass. Replace one, do um all.

8. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    A wise decision :D

9. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I thought it was one big gasket for 28 bucks. I keep forgetting its a Ferrari!!!

10. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    £8.40 each at Superformance....not too bad.

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

I'm assuming £8.40 means Europe or somewhere else I can't buy from easily?

12. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    #12 Matto, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
    £8.40 UK Pound = $11.02 US Dollar

Air Intake Housing Gasket (114983), here:

http://www.superformance.co.uk/a-308/carb.htm

They can set up whatever shipping you require. I get parts from them all the time, great service. Those gaskets will fit in a regular padded mailing envelope, so shipping shouldn't be too bad.

13. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    #13 mwr4440, Apr 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    (IMAGE Borrowed from SF, UK)

Glass,

I wonder if we are getting confused here. I now am.

Are we talking about the singular thin gaskets that go BETWEEN the intake manifolds (one each for a total of two) and engine block, or the one of the four (pic'd below) that go BETWEEN the plenum box and top of the intakes?

If it is the below, that is what everybody has been giving you advice on. And if you replace one, just replace them all. It is good ju-ju and good karma to do so.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name:
    Ben Gruenzner
    When you said the plenum gaskets I assume you mean the gaskets between the upper part of the manifold and the runners. If you mean the gasket between the head and the runners, absolutely need new gaskets. I recommend the green ones from t rutlands and not the black ones from superformance (they are not as good and a pain to remove again)

15. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Correct.....28.00 each at GT parts. With shipping from UK probably a wash.

16. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Superformance is a good group; they ship fast and shipping price is fair. You will save $$$ when buying 4 and shipping to USA.

17. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ

Thanks for the link to Superperformance....these guys are really inexpensive for parts. Now if they only handled Vintage parts I'd be in heaven.