Oil Pressure Switch cross-reference | FerrariChat

Oil Pressure Switch cross-reference

Discussion in '308/328' started by don_xvi, Nov 20, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    #1 don_xvi, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    tl;dr: Ferrari 308 Oil pressure switch cross-reference:
    M12x1.5 Thread: 1989 Saab 900 Turbo
    M14x1.5 Thread: 1983 BMW 528e
    -----------------------------------------------------

Saturday afternoon I diagnosed my oil pressure switch (not sender) as the source of an oil leak on my 1978 Ferrari 308 GTS. I didn't want to wait for one from one of our trusty suppliers or to take my chances at the dealership, so it was off to the internet!

The first helpful resource I found (outside of Fchat, of course) was a supplier of pressure switches and their online catalog here: http://web.archive.org/web/20100923040005/http://www.0086parts.com/auto/product/oilpressureswitch.pdf
    You can scroll down to find the thread and connector you fancy, see where it's been used and find part numbers to cross reference. I thought from other threads on here that I had an M12x1.5 thread, so I cross-referenced that to a 1983 BMW 528e. One of the local parts stores had one in stock! Then I took mine down there and we compared them and it became obvious I had the M14 thread. (Duh, measuring is worth a lot more than reading online!)
    Going back to the cross-reference list at 0086parts.com, I found that the 1989 Saab 900 Turbo used the M14x1.5 sender with the tab connector the 308 uses. Happily, Advance Auto Parts was able to get me one Sunday morning which I picked up and installed successfully.

It works just fine, lights up the red light when there's no oil pressure and shuts it off when there is pressure. The part I got (labeled Intermotor S698) isn't ideal: it was reasonably priced ($15), it had excellent availability (which trumps a lot!) but has a >1" (26mm?) hex, larger than the original Veglia part and this one doesn't have a flat face (although all the pictures you see online for these parts have flat faces). I happen to be using a Stat-o-seal type sealing washer with it so I'm not too worried, but would prefer another case. No leaks in ~40 miles so far. A picture is attached. RockAuto.com has a wide selection of many parts, including these pressure switches where you can pick your brand and hope the part you get will be exactly as shown (they don't guarantee 100%). Some of the other brands shown there (or possibly at your local import auto parts store) look like they may be ideal replacements.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    110664 (just adding the F PN so this thread comes up when searching on that number -- Don can you still edit your post in the cross-reference thread to include it also?)

3. dthami2

dthami2 Rookie

Jul 30, 2017
    Tennessee and Cali
    Full Name:
    David T Hamilton
    thanks so much for this thread! this saab part is 1/8 the cost of the ferrari part. $6 on ebay. my 308 is leaking oil fast from this sensor. its creating a huge mess. was your leak a big one or a small one?

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Where does it leak from?

5. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    +1. Let's get it in the parts thread.

6. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I broke my switch trying to remove it, I think I whacked the plastic end off with a socket maybe. It is under the intake plenum, I didn't notice I'd broken it until it was out. Anyway, I asked for the BMW 528e part at my local auto parts store and they returned a switch with threads that are too small. But it was an Intermotor part. Well, if you sell Intermotor, perhaps you sell the Intermotor S698 that mentioned above? He said yes and the next day he had a Calrostat part. I think it is a OS3513, but Google searches for that part number bring up something that looks different. But what I got is a great match. The threads are right, the style is right, and it turns off the light in the dash when there is oil pressure. And was less than $7.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I use the same thing on my Fiat/Lancia 1.8 and 2.0 Ltr.