Sticking Seatbelt Retractor | FerrariChat

Sticking Seatbelt Retractor

Discussion in '308/328' started by jimpo1, Dec 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    The passenger side seat belt in my car has developed a glitch that won't let me pull it out in one smooth motion, I instead have to pull/release a little at a time and inch it out bit by bit. I'm sure it's the latching mechanism that secures the belt during a high-g stop that's causing the problem, but have not yet taken it apart and am reluctant to since I'm going on a long drive on Saturday with a passenger. I don't want it in pieces I can't repair. I may take some tools to it on Sunday, but have NO idea what I'm getting into and I am most certainly NOT a mechanic. Any and all observations and opinions are welcomed.

2. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Not hard to fix. there is a swing weight inside that swings forward when you breake and lock,s the belt.it is not free swinging annymore,just clean and lub schould do the job.

3. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I washed mine out with some spray stuff like WD40 (keeping it off the belt), then washed out the WD40 (WD40 gums up), with s spray silcone.

Then finally just replaced everything with DMC belts when I couldn't stand the fraying strapping anymore.

I probably could have had the original belt assemblies rebuilt and rewebbed by Snake-Oyl, teh the DMC tag doesn't bother me

Doug

4. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I also switched to DMC belts on my 78 when I bought it. The belts were a bit frayed and the inertia reels were not smooth. For me it was a safety issue.The DMC versions are not 100% identical cosmetically but are very close (closer than contemporary Alfas that also used the same series of Klippan belt) and operate perfectly with the existing stalks. I transferred some of the mounting hardware form the old to the new. $170 each side delivered if I remember well.

Are there similar 'old, new stock' belts available for the 328?

5. Tostapchuk

Tostapchuk Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TJO
    I was able to fix this exact problem simply by spraying a little WD-40 on either side of the retractor mechanism. Works like a charm now.

6. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I'll be trying the WD40, thanks.

7. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Make sure you wash the WD40 off with some other lubricant. WD40 turns into a gummy varnish after the light ends evaporate after a year or so,and your problem will be worse.

Doug

8. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    As usual, the FChat brain trust has the answers.

I took the retractor off of the firewall, lifted the locking mechanism by hand and unrolled most of the belt. Then I used very small amounts of PB Blaster on points that looked like they moved. I mopped up the excess with soft cloth then slid then edges of paper towels into the tight spots to soak up any extra. I ran the belt back and forth a few times and put it all back together. It works like new! I took a couple of pictures but will have to post them when I get in front of a real computer.

Thanks all!

9. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #9 jimpo1, Dec 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Not such good pictures, but I'll post anyway. I tried to get a shot of the swing weight inside of the retractor.

The other one was just because it made me appreciate the car. Somebody hand wrapped the leather around the retractor cover and glued it in place. You don't see stuff like that on a 15 year old F150.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    So I have the same problem as the OP's. Would it be fine to just use a silicone spray lubricant and forget about WD40 alltogether?

11. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Uh oh. Seatbelt retractor covers in leather? How many have these I wonder? Love the idea. Hmmm.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Bump

13. Ffinally

Ffinally Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Charles
    It was quick and easy to follow the procedure mentioned by many others which I did about 2 months ago. Got mine fixed in about 10 minutes. And it is in fact covered with leather too, so I was extra careful!

14. mspelt

mspelt Formula Junior

May 28, 2010
    Tallahassee
    Full Name:
    Mark Pelt
    I am pretty sure all 328s had leather covered belt retracters.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

15. alru111

alru111 Rookie

Dec 27, 2015
    Hello everyone.

seatbelt in my 2010 California is completely extended and won't go retract.
    Is there a trick to make it work without disassembling and if not how do I get to it?

16. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Interesting timing of the bump, I just re-did the same retractor this weekend. It looks like the fix lasts 3 years! :)

Can't help with alru111's California issue though, that's "new" tech. You might post in the California section.

17. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    The Cali probably has an ECU controlling the retractor. ;)

I replaced mine with DMC parts during my car's green period.

18. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
    Just love it when these threads re-open right at the time I'm having the problem for the first time, love the site and the knowledge

Beyond that any thoughts about using WD40 with PTFE or the similar DuPont/Chemours spray lubricant with Teflon so you have that providing longer lubrication after drying?

19. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    WD40 might mask a problem but what Ive seen is the clock spring inside the round cover gets all tangled up. It still acts as a retractor spring but it causes the mechanism to lock when you go to extend it. If you have 10mins to fasten your seatbelt you can usually coax it along.

20. Mattitude

Mattitude Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    As Tillman said above, I've also replaced mine ('87 328) with the DMC Klippan belts. For all intents and purposes, an exact match. And pretty cost-effective, too (as compared to yellow-box parts). Seat belts are not something I wanted to take chances with,so I just went with replacements.

-Matt

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

21. newark_308

newark_308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Newark DE
    Full Name:
    Glenn Frenck
    I've been using the coax it out method for a bit and was hoping for an easy fix as some were describing earlier in the thread with the spray lubricants.
    If I go down the replacement path (I've got to replace coolant hoses first), how do you get the the belt free from the shoulder point on the shelf?

22. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Pull the triangular cover off closest to the belt slot. Its snapped onto the loop then slide it back off towards the back window. Its hooked under the anchor. You'll expose the bolt.