328 Concours Prep Questions | FerrariChat

328 Concours Prep Questions

Discussion in '308/328' started by gbutler, Jan 27, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    I have an 89 328 GTS and according to Bluemel's Original Ferrari V8, I am supposed to have exhaust gas analyzer extension tubes in my tool roll. What are these and what do they look like?

Also, how many bulbs and fuses are supposed to be in the little container in your tool bag. I was at Cavallino watching the judges and they were actually looking very closely at the contents. I should have asked them but didn't.

And one more question, are my books complete? I have the yellow owners manual, warranty and service book, and worldwide dealer directory. I also have the single page supplement to the owners manual for 1989 cars, and I have the California emission control warranty statement as well as the white consumer information card. Is there anything else that I should have?

2. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I am not sure what that is. Where in Bluemel's book is this stated? Maybe this is being mistaken for the emergency light (kind of a flashlight) this is supposed to be part of the tool kit.

I think there are supposed to be three bulbs, two large ones, one small. And three fuses, one for each amperage, red, blue yellow. I can't remember the amps at the moment is it 15, 20, 25? Also there are supposed to be two spark plugs.

The tool bag contents are listed in the Parts Catalog.

That sounds complete.

-F

3. kimbo 308

kimbo 308 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 11, 2012

To the best of my knowledge....

328's never had exhaust gas analyzer extension tubes as part of their tool roll........308 GT4's definetly did and I believe early carby GTB/S ....certainly not shown in any 328 parts manuals!!!..

None of the injected cars,3082vi/ QV and 328 had these as part of their tool kit AFAIK.

Kim

4. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #4 nerofer, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
    Glen,

I'm no expert on concours preparation, and especially not an expert on American-Market cars, but depending on the actual production date of your car, if it left the factory after autumn 1988 and has ABS, you should therefore have the booklet of 8 pages that describe the ABS operation, and is titled "supplement to the driver's manual for cars with ABS", its print reference is n° 522/88.
    My april '89-produced euro GTB has it in the pouch.
    Perhaps american F-Chatters could chime in about the need for this ABS supplement manual?

Do you also have the lubricants' chart?

Rgds,

5. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    The owners manual contains a list of the contents of the jack kit and tool kit. I would think that should be the definitive list a judge should use as it matches the exact car.

It doesnt break down the contents of the bulb kit though. Not sure about that. The USA cars had a different kit to others as they have sealed-beam headlamps so didnt include the headlamp bulb. Also its different to the 308 kits as the 328 uses blade fuses.

The spark plug socket was dropped from the 328 tool kit I think at some point as it no longer fitted later plugs.

6. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Andy,

I'm not sure of the fact that the spark plug socket was indeed dropped at a given point of time, even if this is what I thought for quite some time, but now I have my doubts:

a) all 328 have the same spark-plugs, and the socket fits on these spark plug, I have tried this week-end with an original Champion A6GC spark plug.

b) I have had the pleasure to inspect and drive a "time capsule" 328 GTS in November, c/n was in the 82000 to 83000 bracket, and the tool roll, in its own time capsule also, was "classical", that is the four screwdrivers with deep red/caramel handles, Kravm wrenches, and the spark plug socket...and another one I have seen the summer before also.

c) I know believe that some tool rolls may not have the spark plug socket, but the tool roll of some of the very late produced cars did indeed have one nevertheless.

Care must also be taken not to confuse original tool rolls with later re-issues (black handles on the screwdrivers, and not all the wrenches are marked the same = the wrenches are not all Kravm)
    I have also seen here tools rolls from Testarossas, which are identical to those of the 328 except that the ones I have seen do not have the combination 14 wrench, but a 15/14 standard Kravm wrench instead, and no spark plug socket...

happy to discuss further

Rgds

7. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    I believe the analyzer tubes are connected to the engine.

8. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    The reason I thought they had dropped it was because it doesnt appear in the contents list in my owners manual. But I just checked again and its listed in the contents of the jack kit!

9. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    It's listed in the Parts Catalog.

-F

10. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #10 nerofer, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I really can say that on the few "time capsule" cars that I have seen, the spark plug socket was included in the tool roll; this is what I have (sorry for the poor quality picture).
    I have a second one identical to this one, and a third one with a few parts missing that I am leisurly completing whenever possible.

I also have the latter "generic" tool roll, sold as a replacement part, screwdrivers having black handles and wrenches not being all "Kravm" marked, which was sold WITHOUT spark plug socket.

Rgds
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    PM RifleDriver or 4REJudge or Judge4RE. :eek:

Both are/were concourse judges IIRC.

There are no "maybe's" when in the middle of a competition.

12. furmano

Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I need to check my tool roll to make sure I have everything there. I definitely have the spark plug tool. But like I said already, it's listed in the Parts Catalog. I don't know how you can get more definitive than that.

-F

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    IAC/PFA judging only requires an owners manual, dealer network book and the service/warranty book.

Detachable analyzer tubes did not come with US version cars.

For the contents of the fuse and bulb container as well as the tool and jack kit look in the parts book. That is what is used by the judges.

Kieths book is a good read but not all that accurate.

14. ggjjr

ggjjr Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Detroit
    Full Name:
    George
    When can we expect yours???? It's not like we haven't been waiting patiently.

George

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Agreed on all points.

16. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    And the two absolute EXPERTS I know chime-in.

Thanx Guys !!!!!!!

:)

I think I'll start channeling Toto Lotto numbers ........ :D

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #17 Rifledriver, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
    We should both also point out that the new reprinted owners manuals are acceptable.

Don't get caught up in having "Exactly" the right bulbs and fuses. A reasonable selection of correct bulbs and fuses applicable to the car will suffice.

Many cars came with 2 spark plugs in the tool kit but not all. Throw in a pair of spare plugs that are of the correct type. Some judges look for them.

Remember there is no deduction for too much stuff.

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    So long as it is "original" stuff. Brochures, hangtags, wiper blades that are rare as hens teeth, original air in the tires, etc...

Common ding items are stickers, wrong plate frames, performance modifications, horsey valve stem caps, shields, yadda yadda yadda.

19. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    I had my car judged at Cavallino last weekend and my tool kit is exactly the same. The judges asked to see the oil specification card included with the manuals which I had. As Rifledriver pointed out, the judges also asked to see the two spark plugs as well as the Alternator belt, Air conditioner compressor belt, As well as the water pump belt. Every item in the tool bags is original. I also had Keith Bluemel sign my book while he was there.

20. red3555gtb

red3555gtb Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 15, 2006
    Woodbridge/Ontario
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    For the 328, is there a separate oil specification card, or is that info in the owners manual ( for a euro spec model )??

21. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    I have a US spec model and the card is a separate perforated portion in one of the manuals. I will take a picture tomorrow and post for you.

22. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    #22 328PWC, Jan 28, 2013
    Here's a photo of the lubrication card the judges were asking for.

23. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #23 robertgarven, Jan 28, 2013
    Id be more worried about the judges prejudices, friends etc. Even though I got a silver at Concorso. I have found most other shows I have been in unfairly (lets say un evenly) judged. Especially with the GT4. I would not worry about the tubes. I have them No judge ever wanted to see them or if the aerial worked it took my 10 years to get working. The last show my car was 10 times better than when I got the silver and they blew by me almost making me feel guilty they had to judge it. Of course it depends on the judges their skill, knowledge, etc., etc., etc......

24. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #24 nerofer, Jan 29, 2013
    Euro spec model books, from my '89 GTS (without ABS, so no ABS supplement required here).
    - Owner's manual 513/88 (non catalysed cars)
    - Warranty card 498/88
    - Service organisation agenda
    - Two types of oil specification cards, and even a folding jacket/sleeve for protecting these (white with a cavallino)

Rgds

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Paul,

The two "period-correct" Spark Plugs for Euro cars would be "Champion A6GC".

Rgds,