1983 Ferrari 308 GTS Quattrovalve Engine Number Locations | FerrariChat

1983 Ferrari 308 GTS Quattrovalve Engine Number Locations

Discussion in '308/328' started by CCWEST, Mar 15, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CCWEST

CCWEST Rookie

Mar 15, 2013
    Hello,

Thank you for taking the time out to read and respond to my post. We just came across a 1983 Ferrari GTS 308 Quattrovalve from an estate sale. The owners did not have any documentation or receipts for the car so it is a guessing game as to what we have. They informed us that the engine may have been replaced at one time and I was curious if anyone knew where the engine numbers were located on the engine. I want to run the numbers to see if in fact it has been replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    In the V at the cambelt end it should read

Ferrari
    F105A
    XXXXX = engine no

So fairly straightforward

3. CCWEST

CCWEST Rookie

Mar 15, 2013
    Thank you! I found the numbers and they are as follows:

F105A040

Vin for the car is:
    ZFFMA 13A 3D00 45563

I am assuming the numbers on the engine do not match the vin and it is indeed a replacement engine. Is this assumption correct? Thanks for all your help.

4. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #4 Verell, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
    There is no correlation between the engine number value & the VIN. The factory build sheet is the only thing that ties them together.

BTW, the VIN's s/n indicates it was probably built in late '83. Altho 00097 seems like a very low engine # for that VIN.

5. nevets308

nevets308 Rookie

Jul 20, 2012
    So California
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Does anyone have a photo they can post on the location of the engine number of a 85 qv. Is there anyway to get a copy of the build sheet?

6. jp308

jp308 Rookie

Mar 31, 2013
    I'm a new member and I also had a question about this. I am currently restoring and old 911 but this is likely to take another 2-3 years and I have been yearning for something I can drive now. I'm playing with the idea of a 308 and I'm just trying to learn a thing or two.

1. With Porsches you order a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche to determine the originality of an engine. Is the factory build sheet that was mentioned above something you can obtain from Ferrari or did it come with the car originally?

2. On a 308 do the body panels also have serial numbers that match the car?

3. It seems with some makes numbers matching is more important than others. Is numbers matching something that Ferrari owners care about? How much does it affect the value of a 308?

Thanks for your time

7. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #7 Thomas Magnum, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    1985 308 GTS QV (Euro spec), chassis 55057, engine # 2779. Good luck with the build sheet. Being told Classiche is the only source.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. 308nut

308nut Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 22, 2002
    NOLA/Covington
    Full Name:
    Wade
    Verell is correct that there is no correlation between the engine number value and the VIN

Verell according to his VIN my records show this car to be an April 83 build, which the engine number 00097 could very well be correct.

This car was sold new by Ferrari of San Francisco to Actor Andrew Stevens (producer Boondock Saints) then later sold in 04 to Matt Lemus through Ferrari of Beverly Hills with 58k miles on it.

Wade

9. malh001

malh001 Rookie

Jun 10, 2007
    Resurrecting an old thread. My logbook references the engine number as the same last 5 numbers as the chassis number, but on the engine, the number is different. Does this mean the logbook could be wrong??

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yes, it means the log book is wrong. VIN and engine number are not the same on the V8 and newer cars.

11. malh001

malh001 Rookie

Jun 10, 2007
    Hi Rifledriver,

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm looking to sell mine and just checked so will have to see if I can get the logbook amended.

Cheers

12. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    You have to know one thing : 911 is german car made by german people.

Ferrari is italian !

13. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

What logbook you mean? The factory warranty booklet?

14. malh001

malh001 Rookie

Jun 10, 2007
    No, the V5 registration document issued when the car is first registered here in the UK.

15. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

Then it makes sense as it's the same for my car which was originally UK RHD. I heard that in the old days the V5 document has only chassis number required. Later when the new V5 requiring both chassis and engine numbers, they fill in the engine number spot simply with the 5 digit chassis number as they did not have to examine the engine number physically.

You can request to change that but they need to examine the car physically to verify.

16. malh001

malh001 Rookie

Jun 10, 2007
    I see. Thanks for that. When I first checked I was concerned it wasn't the original engine but it seems only the factory can confirm.

I don't fancy a trip to Swansea so the DVLA can have a check though.

17. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

If your car is originally UK RHD, Maranello Concessionaires Archive can provide you the original documents and a confirmation letter with the various numbers.

18. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I know that it's been asked 1000 times in here, so blast me if you must. But, is there a way to have the build sheet and history of a given US car researched, without signing over a paycheck or having family connections in Italy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro