Which is the better investment: 308 or 328? | FerrariChat

Which is the better investment: 308 or 328?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Mcorrallo, May 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mcorrallo

Mcorrallo Karting

Jan 28, 2014
    Since there needs to be a new valuation thread every other day, let's see what the FChat community thinks about this question. Let's leave out glass 308s for purposes of this discussion.

I say the retro interior of the 308 will ultimately prevail and that 308s will some day be worth 50% more than a comparable 328.

2. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Investment??? Neither, buying an old Ferrari is crime of passion not logic, get the one, or two, that sets you on fire and enjoy.

DennisForza and ZikZak like this.
  3. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    If you like one, buy it. This is the last batch of interested buyers. These cars mean nothing to the new generation and they won't pay anything for them in 20 years. Sorry to burst any bubbles, but 400k for a Dino or a BB is silly at best.

Buy one, enjoy life while you are here. Simple as that.

ZikZak likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
  5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    No regular 308 going to be worth more than a 328. people like the last of the line thing.

I always thought a Euro QV was the way to go. Well built still classic shape as good perfoirmance as any 308 without the hassles.

DennisForza likes this.
  6. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    I would say either very first or very last. Ricky Bobby would say if you're not first you're last. I don't know if either of us are right....

7. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Conventional wisdom is that 308s and 328s will just be used cars and so if you buy one and enjoy it, pay out of pocket for maintenance and repairs and don't lose any money on the actual car that is as good as you can hope to do. However over a long period of time that a bit of an oversimplification as there is inflation, so at least in nominal terms, prices of "fully depreciated" cars will go up over time providing they are kept in good running order. So which cars will rise, or outperform inflation? I'm not the expert on 308s and 328s by any means, but it seems to this layman that generally gts will come before gtb and that the more powerful cars will come before the less powerful cars of the range. I don't know the nuances of the interiors/design that might make 308 win over 328 or vice versa. I think the key will be condition and I don't agree with the comment above that the next generation will not care, assuming the Ferrari brand continues to be one of the most famous brands in the world, I think there will be a market for these cars.

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I can't imagine the term "investment" and "308" and/or "328" being used in the same sentence unless "investment" is preceded by "bad." :)

Kent Dellenbusch likes this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    GTB > GTS

Fiberglass > Steel

ABS > not

near perfect low mileage platinum cars have already been selling in 6 digits for a couple years.

For the most part 99.9% of the cars I would value...

308 GTB Fiberglass as most collectible. Maybe a 1989 328 GTB next.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I was trying to figure out a simple way to say that.

11. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Currently a 308gts bid to $62,777 on eBay.

12. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I din't think anyone has a crystal ball. If that were the case, I would have bought a Dino instead of a 308 when I did years back when Dinos were relatively affordable. You have to get what you love.

13. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    I'm surprised this is not the other way around, could you elaborate on your thinking please? I don't know much about 308/328 but would have thought the GTS would be more desirable.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have a GTS, many people prefer them as drivers, hard top on or off. For collectability GTB's are much rarer, some consider better look, and more "serious".

15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    308/328 are certainly not going south in prices, that's for sure.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Everyone I know selling Ferraris still consider them a harder sell. People love the GTB and buy the GTS.

17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    That's a good point. What people SAY they like and what the will actually buy are two different things. I like the LOOK of the GTB over the GTS when the GTS has it's top on. But with the top off…well the GTS jumps an order of magnitude. Is that the Magnum effect? I can't say for sure but I suspect it has some influence on folks "of a certain age."

Though I thought Ferraris were really cool in my teens (living in Europe at the time), the first time I drove a Ferrari was when we were on vacation in HI and I rented a 308 for 3 days. That was TOTALLY the Magnum effect. ;)

18. Jeff328

Jeff328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2006
    WI
    That is what I see as well. My wife said that if we are going to buy an old, slow car then the top has to come off. I slightly prefer the looks of the GTB but the option of going topless is far more appealing. I don't see any 3x8 as an investment. If you define an investment as something that will have a net increase in value over time. If I'm wrong, great. I bought mine with the expectation that it eventually could be worth -0- In the meantime, I'm having a helluva good time.

19. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we're on the same page. I don't see any Ferraris as investments now sans a La Ferrari or Speciale at MSRP. Some may argue the vintage cars are still going up, but to me it also screams bubble.

boxerman likes this.
  20. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Top off driving just adds to the enjoyment, and yes I think the GTB looks better when you are not in the car.

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not only that but a GTB has headroom problems for a lot of people.

The reason we have a 328 is for the removable top and that goes for a big percentage of buyers.

I really like the GTB but will never own one.

The Gullwing Mercedes is one of the very few, if not the only coupe that is worth more than its rag top counterpart and the 328 GTB is no Gullwing.

22. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    And you think that's legit?

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    A desmogged 78 that looks like it has TRX wheels and being sold by Schmidt?

My guess is no and that it won't make reserve.

24. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Niether as an "investment" - but with a gun to my head I would go with a 328 GTB as the most likely to hit and hold the highest value (in theory).

25. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    #25 Rich S, May 20, 2014
    Last edited: May 20, 2014
    I'd forgotten all about "Magnum, p.i." when I got interested in the 328. So no "Magnum" effect there.

What got me interested was: it's a very pretty car, looks fast even when parked. Clean, no-nonsense lines, and the bumpers- though present- don't stand out like they do on the 308. Performance is very, very good, who cares if it won't challenge a more current six figure + "supercar"; such cars cannot really be driven to their potential on the street anyway. Nice, tidy interior; made for someone who wants to drive the car, not haul golf buddies & their equipment. Enough were produced that the commonly needed items are still available, even after some 30 years, more or less. Lastly, relatively affordable,for whatever reason. Less than the price of a nice luxury sedan (Infiniti, Lexus, whatever). A new Jaguar will cost even more! And at this point, registration, taxes, and especially insurance (they're now in the "vintage/classic" category) have all dropped considerably over a new car! As for which is the better "investment"- GTB or GTS, I really don't care; to me the targa roof is the perfect answer to leaky convertibles with cloudy plastic windows. Or even "automatic" softtops that cost a bundle, and you hope never break.

And then there's the fact that it says "Ferrari"...

Cheers, Rich