Ferrari 328/308- new "recalls" | FerrariChat

Ferrari 328/308- new "recalls"

Discussion in '308/328' started by eyeman1234, Sep 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Recalls are in the news in the US- with yet another GM recall announced today.
    What did Ferrari miss or omit that "might" constitute a recall, in your humble...?

I'll start:
    1. Warning sticker needed by front hood support release button to prevent naive detailers from bending hood upon closing; and by battery to warn them about using high amp booster chargers and frying the engine control modules.

2. Rich S

Rich S Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    Monterey, California
    Full Name:
    Rich Saylor
    Please elaborate on both items, especially the charger issue. If the power (meaning the key) is off, what difference does the amp setting make on the charger...? Inexpensive chargers often have slow (like 2 amp) settings or else 10 amp; industrial-size chargers have higher amperages available, of course. What high amperage setting are you referring to, and what's the background for the warning?

Thanks & cheers,
    Rich

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Recalls are for smog and safety related items only.

The propensity for the hood to bend was a result of intentional hood structure weakening to comply with federal crash standards.

4. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    I have never used my hood button to support the hood. Instead I use a telescoping rod to hold the hood open. When using the button to support the hood, high stress is placed on the hood in the vicinity of the bracket. A gust of wind could damage the hood.

5. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Only thing I can think of on my 328 would perhaps be a sticker stating that the Air Conditioner should not be considered to be a real air conditioner, that it was a collection of mis-matched parts used by Ferrari to simulate the LOOK of an air conditioner. :)

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Then they filled it with a planet killing chemical compound that is guaranteed to leak out.

terrorism indeed.

7. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    What engine control modules? A boost/charger does not source any more current than an alternator would.

On 328s they should have had a recall for actually putting some grease into the front wheel bearings instead of only all over the cover plate.

8. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.

"Ignore the red brake warning light. It may or may not be representing a problem, it may or may not indicate the hand brake is set"

9. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Someone put the highbeam in the wrong direction on the light stalk.

10. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    One engine bank went out after a detailer jump-started my 328 with a high-amp booster pack...was told it damaged control module and told "never jump start your car from another car"

11. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The booster pack damaged your car but you were told not to jump from another car?

Does not compute.

Many battery jump functions in chargers etc run the voltage up, sometimes to 18 volts. That can kill some electronic components. If that is not bad enough a dead battery will drag the voltage down even with a jumper and I am told that to some electronics that can be very damaging as well.

12. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Their advice: avoid booster pack or another car... in other words, CHARGE the battery when dead, or roll start it.

13. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Maybe he connected it backwards.

Every car dealer has a big wheeled booster in the corner and would use it all the time.

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Absolute emergency only.

Charging a dead battery is really hard on the alternator.

15. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Let me add another:

Ferrari forgot to tell owners NOT to close the rear trunk lid as common sense would dictate- instead, touch only VERTICAL surfaces to prevent dents!

16. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    There is an easier solution to prevent the bent hood problem...I friendly Ferrari tech it for me. ;)

17. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    WARNING: "Do not ever let anyone beside yourself detail this vehicle, because - no matter how reputable the shop is - some workaday assistant is likely to 1) smoke your clutch, 2) power wash the paint right off the edge of your door, or 3) do both, the day before your wedding."

WARNING: "When this vehicle fails on your wedding day due to detailer smoking your clutch, make sure flatbed driver is not wearing his high school football championship ring when he pushes the car into place."

WARNING: "Repeat, do not ever let anyone beside yourself detail this vehicle."

In all seriousness, maybe do some upgrade to the fusebox, and add some extra heat insulation in the center tunnel and inside the front tub (suppose the QV hood covered that).

18. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Yes! I'm actually just having that changed on mine!

19. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Warning recall: SLOW DOWN LIGHT may mean one of two things.

1. Slow down immediately.

2. Ignore light and keep driving as normal.

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Oh, sorry to hold you in suspense, the "solution" to avoid a bent hood, is to use the later 328 (Stabilus) gas hood support, and substitute it for the one with the ball locking detent. Easy swap, save the original for concours events. ;)

21. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3

Nov 8, 2004
    On the speedo of all 2 Valve injected cars:

"Warning: car appears to be faster than it is"