308 GT4 resurection | FerrariChat

308 GT4 resurection

Discussion in '308/328' started by Trahanm, Jan 3, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Trahanm

Trahanm Karting

May 10, 2013
    Rochester Hills MI
    Full Name:
    Marc Trahan
    #1 Trahanm, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Folks,

I am resurrecting a 79 Euro spec GT4 that has been sitting since 1988. The drivetrain has just been completely rebuilt by RPM VT, but the rest of car needs some attention, although the body and frame are solid with no rust

I am replacing all the rubber elements, and will have it repainted in the Spring. Todays challenge has to do with the coolant line for the two front heat exchangers. The hose seems to run the length of the car inside the left door sill together with the vacuum line for the brake booster. I have the access panel off in the front wheel well.

My question is; are there any tips on replacing these, and any good sources for the replacement hoses.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Marc Trahan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Go to the top of this 308 section and find "interesting tech/DIY threads". It's in there.

3. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    Hi Marc

Luv the color combo. I had an euro gt4 at one time also. You might what to get a hold of Gani in Bloomfield hills. He has a pair of gt4's and is near completing a ground up restoration on one of them.

Meanwhile try superperformance for 308 parts

Happy new year

4. grtoz

grtoz Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    Byron Bay, Australia
    Full Name:
    Graeme Towers
    #4 grtoz, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    I used Gates Green Stripe heater hose 28441. It comes in a 50 ft length which is enough to do three cars.

I didn't have to remove the left fuel tank. I moved it to one side (had to dismount the fuel pump) and that created enough room. Drilled out the rivet holding one end of the bracket clamping the hose. You'll then have a straight run to pull it through to the front wheel well after clamping the old and new hoses together. Then feed it up to the heaters.

There is also a generic Gates Z heater hose from which you can cut a replacement for the original hose with the 90 degree bend that attaches to the heater tap. I don't have the part number with me.

The worst part of the job for me was refitting the strap that holds the fuel tank in place. It took me ages to get everything lined up so I could get the nut on the threaded end!

All the best, Graeme

5. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    Congratulations on that lovely looking 308 and love your BGT, too. John in CT.

6. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    Currently doing a GT4 engine-out and I've been considering replacing this hose as well. I just did a quick check, and O"Reilly has Gates Green Stripe heater hose 28441 for $3.39 per foot. RockAuto has exactly the same stuff for $1.77 per foot, but only in 50-ft lengths.

PM me if you want to split that 50 ft from Rock Auto. You'll get 25 ft for about what 15 ft would cost form an auto store, and pieces left for where its used in other places in the engine compartment.

7. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
  8. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    ... and another one is saved!!!

Congrats and keep us updated on the progress with a lot of pics.

Cheers.

9. grtoz

grtoz Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    Byron Bay, Australia
    Full Name:
    Graeme Towers
    For the hose that attaches to the heater tap with a 90 degree bend (# 108502, part 60 in Tav 15 of the parts book) you can cut one from a Gates Multifit heater hose (15 mm ID) #01-0005 or a Mackay ZHB15NL..

10. Trahanm

Trahanm Karting

May 10, 2013
    Rochester Hills MI
    Full Name:
    Marc Trahan
    Gentlemen,

Thanks for the quick and informative responses. Very helpful. I probably won't get to this part for another 4 to 6 weeks, but will post pics as I proceed.

Regards,

Marc

11. Trahanm

Trahanm Karting

May 10, 2013
    Rochester Hills MI
    Full Name:
    Marc Trahan
    #11 Trahanm, Jan 25, 2015
    Folks,

I have finally started on the 308. I have a lot taken apart, and the good thing is there is no real rust anywhere. Front end is all apart and have repaired the fiberglass to the lower valance, radiator will go our for cleaning. The fuel tanks are perfect inside and the remaining fuel in the pump showed no signs of varnish, but was dark. Amazing, the car has been sitting since 1988.

I did want to share a picture and what I learned about replacing the vacuum and coolant lines that go from front to rear on the left side. I ended up moving the fuel tank back as far as I could (about 12 inches) to get access to the panel that is secured to the rear bulk head with three rivets. With the panel removed It exposed the two securing tabs that holds the respective lines to the rear bulkhead. Attached is a picture.

Should be relatively easy now to run the new lines after the tabs are unfastened. Don't know how you could ever replace these hoses without doing this step.

Also, if any of you are interested, I attached the link to one of the Utube videos (there are 4) of my engine being started the first time after it was rebuilt by RPM this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQrMgXEIdWE

I really appreciate the info on this forum.

Regards, and more to come.

Marc

12. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Looks like you are nearing the end of the trail. Engine sounds great. Hope to see a video of it back on the road.

13. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
  14. Trahanm

Trahanm Karting

May 10, 2013
    Rochester Hills MI
    Full Name:
    Marc Trahan
    Thanks Mark,

The VIN is F106AL/A14912. It is a Euro spec car that was imported in June 1979 to the US.

Marc

15. David Jarrett

David Jarrett Karting

Sep 21, 2006
    Chatham Kent
    Full Name:
    David Jarrett
    Beautiful car in a lovely colour

16. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Jealous...my red GT4 was that color originally. Looks great. 👍

17. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Not many Ferraris can carry off a color like that as well as a GT/4 can.
    Looks fantastic.

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Not many Ferraris can carry off a color like that as well as a GT/4 can.
    Looks fantastic.

19. Trahanm

Trahanm Karting

May 10, 2013
    Rochester Hills MI
    Full Name:
    Marc Trahan
    #19 Trahanm, Feb 12, 2015
    As promised, here is the latest on the hoses. I just replaced both the vacuum and coolant lines. I ended up removing both fuel tanks as I needed to remove the right side to remove the front header. I have them out to be ceramic coated.

Removing the tanks was not difficult, I had to roll them and tip them to get them to fit through the fender opening. Once out I had a straight shot to route the new lines. Did not even have use lubricant.

So far this car has proven to be fun and gratifying to work on. A little different that those 12 cylinder Lambos I have. Next, the brakes.

Stand by.

Marc

20. Trahanm

Trahanm Karting

May 10, 2013
    Rochester Hills MI
    Full Name:
    Marc Trahan
    #20 Trahanm, Feb 19, 2015
    Calipers rebuilt by Centrix, master cylinder with seal kit from GTCP. All rubber hoses (brake, coolant, vacuum and fuel) replaced. I purchased the brake booster vacuum line and the heater hose from Summit racing. A very good value I think.

Headers out being ceramic coated and the bumpers at the chrome plating shop, radiator being flushed and painted.

Should have all these back next week to reinstall,

Next, will look for tires. Hard to find 205/70/14 tires. Will probably go with he Michelin all season. Any other advice out there.

Marc

21. NoGoSlow

NoGoSlow Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2014
    Republic of Texas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jacks
    Looking good, Marc!

Regarding tires, the two that seem to come closest to original design are the Michelin XWX and Vredsteins. There are several threads on the Michelin (which were the OEM rubber for GT4s), and the new "Classic" versions are good but pricey ($400-$500). It seems like the Vreds are about $100 per tire cheaper.

Keep the photos coming!

22. Nielsk

Nielsk Karting

Dec 8, 2012
    Central Florida
    What was the cost for the rebuild by Centrix?
    how difficult do you think removing the front header would be without a lift (on jack-stands)... seems pretty tight in there just looking at it, and if any hardware breaks...

23. Trahanm

Trahanm Karting

May 10, 2013
    Rochester Hills MI
    Full Name:
    Marc Trahan
    Guys,

For sure I will keep the pics coming. I just hope I do not bore you guys.

While I have been working on cars all my working life, I admit I am no Ferrari expert as I just got this 308 last year, and the TR two years ago, two cars I have wanted for a long time. I really appreciate all the advise that comes for this forum. I has helped me a lot already.

Thanks for the advice on the tires. I will check the Vredenstiens.

The car came in pieces, with the calipers rebuilt and the new brake hoses. I just had to install them. RPMVT was about 30% through the restoration when I bought the car from them , and they had already purchased these parts. Centrex does have a good website it looks where you could get this cost info from.

Removing the front header was actually quite easy once the right side fuel tank was removed. Removing the tank was not hard as there are only two hoses connections. Also, Both radiator pipes are also removed, and I am pretty sure one would have to remove at least the right side pipe to get the header out, which would men draining the cooling system. Not impossible without a lift as long as you are younger (I am 62) and have a strong back.

Marc

24. Nielsk

Nielsk Karting

Dec 8, 2012
    Central Florida
    Do you know what the Centrex website is? Nothing on google, not for Centrix either...

25. Trahanm

Trahanm Karting

May 10, 2013
    Rochester Hills MI
    Full Name:
    Marc Trahan
    #25 Trahanm, Feb 21, 2015
    Sorry, I had the name spelled wrong. It is Centric.

Here is their web site link.

WELCOME TO CENTRIC PARTS - Centric Parts

Yesterday I got my latest shipment of parts from GTCP. Been doing business with them since 2000, and can not say enough. They helped me figure out what the cold idle device was, and sent me the missing parts for it (lever, cam, spring, etc) for 25$.

I got it assembled, adjusted and ready to install.

They also provided one of the coolant pipes which was missing.

New oil cooler hoses will be fabricated by a local supplier on Monday. One good thing about living in the Detroit area is there is an abundance of these kinds of service providers.

Marc