80s era radio! | FerrariChat

80s era radio!

Discussion in '308/328' started by scudF1, Jun 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I'm looking to replace the radio on my 85' 308 with one that properly fits the radios of that era. Preferably I would like to purchase a blaupunkt of that period. Did they have digital radios back then? Any recommendation?

2. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Mine is a Blaupunkt Munster. I had to get a new faceplate that would fit. Go measure - I think the size that fits is a 6.25". Otherwise, it's a standard DIN size player.

3. Wilson308

Wilson308 Formula Junior

Apr 27, 2012
    Arkansas, USA
    Full Name:
    Wilson
    My Euro '84 has one of the early car CD players from Alpine, which is the modern single DIN size as far as I can tell. They had in-dash CD players in Japan around '84 and the US around '85, but they were very expensive and not all that good compared to some later models in the late '80s.

The dash does appear to have been cut a bit to make it fit on my car. A Blaupunkt radio/cassette would be my choice if I were looking for one today with an unmolested dash.

4. 308Dadoo

308Dadoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2010
    Aliso Viejo CA
    Full Name:
    David
    My 81 GTSi came with a 7100 series am/fm cassette deck. I remember my best friend buying a similar for his 77 GTB back in the early 80's after his Pioneer was stolen.

I get lots of compliments at Cars and Coffee on the "period" 80's look.

Check out stereos on eBay.

5. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
  6. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Can anyone post pics of a "period correct" radio in their 308 QV? I have a new Alpine in mine and I'd like to bring it back to something that was available at the time. I guess Alpine or Blaupunkt are most common. I want to find one on eBay so I would need a model number as well.

7. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    For a 308 from about 81 on, simply eBay search Blaupunkt cassette and pick pretty much anything with a digital display.

Cannot go wrong doing that.

8. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    #9 stonker, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 84 QV came with this Phillips 520 radio/cassette which looks very period. I've seen the same model in other Ferrari's. Works perfectly but I don't use it much. My car has the original pioneer speakers.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    I've got a Retrosound head unit in my Alfa. It's pretty good with a USB input and IPod input and is quite period looking.

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #11 Martin308GTB, Feb 8, 2016
    Interesting. Me too. Any pictures?
    It's really a good radio with good sound and appearance.
    The only thing, what strongly annoys me, is the fact, that there is no backup battery. Each time I disconnect the battery, all custom settings get lost. I currently think about a self designed backup battery solution.

Pictures with car, radio and USB-socket in the glove box. I used an existing big hole for it and turned a plastic flange to avoid any drilling. The visible three screws do not go through the glove box, but through that big hole and just clamp the flange's counterpiece.

Best Regards
    Martin

11. detroiter

detroiter Karting

Apr 30, 2013
    Munich, Bayern
    Full Name:
    Carter
    oh that's pretty!

12. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    #13 stonker, Feb 8, 2016
    Haha snap!!!!

I also fitted Retrosound speakers in the centre console where the originals where and in the rear parcel shelf with very small discreet punched holes in the vinyl. Sounds pretty good but I work in music production so will never be satisfied!!!

13. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    #14 redline76, Feb 8, 2016
    My '85 came with an Alpine 7272. Not the easiest deck to find but it's a period correct as it gets (and lights up the same green as the dash :)

14. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile

Pity "Lockwood Tannoy's" won't fit in a 105 series Alfa.. (or any other car..)

15. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    This I like. I have seen ones similar on eBay. Is this the unit that has a handle on it so it can be pulled out of the car for security?

16. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    #17 scudF1, Feb 8, 2016
  17. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    That's a Denver. One of my favorites and I have it in my 82 Alfa Spider.

I like it because it's 4 channel and still looks very old school

18. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I haven't used the retro sound myself, but know people who have and like them in their Rolls Royce's, mostly Shadows and Spurs. For show purposes you'll lose some marks for not having an original radio, but its less points if its period correct and something Rolls would have installed. Few guys will take the show points hit for better sound. Modern radio decks look stupid in a Rolls Royce!

Another is people with classic cars, my uncle is into Chevy's. They like the correct look and also for collector license plates, you need a period correct deck or no collector insurance and plates. Since you submit photos of the interior, the inspectors don't notice the retro decks.

19. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Trying to remember what car stereos looked like back in 1983. Not sure if they had the "Benzi Box" ones back then. I like the two knob one as well Billy. Very old school looking.

20. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I have an alpine on the shelf. I took it out of my car when I redid the interior. It was working when it came out as far as I know. Free to a good home. If anyone is interested, I'll dig it out and take photos.

21. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #22 GordonC, Feb 8, 2016
    My 84 Euro QV was equipped with a Becker Mexico cassette unit - shown underneath the Sony I installed to get modern features. Plug'n'play switch, I could re-install the Becker in minutes.

22. Labman

Labman F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Steve

PM'd you.

23. redline76

redline76 Formula Junior

Feb 26, 2008
    Venice, CA
    Full Name:
    Warren V
    No, it's a bolt in. It comes with a sleeve thats tabbed into place and then the radio slides in and secures.

24. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I just couldn't bring myself to install a cassette deck that I knew that I would never use. I ended up going with a mid-90's area Alpine CD player. While not 80's era, it definitely looks vintage and much better than the silver and red metallic Sony that was in the car when i bought it. The green light up buttons on an Alpine bring back memories.

While it doesn't look like the original one that may have been installed, it does look like what someone would have put in early on for an upgrade.