Ethanol free gas | FerrariChat

Ethanol free gas

Discussion in '308/328' started by Sigmacars, Jun 30, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    I have been using Ethanol free Gas on my 88/328 for the last 2 years and the car runs a lot better it feel like it pulls stronger anybody has the same experience.

2. JohnnyTS

JohnnyTS Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2012
    Pretoria East, RSA
    Full Name:
    John
    I have less bad smells from the exhaust...

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Although ethanol has a higher octane rating than gasoline and replaces MTBE (and lead in past times), it has less energy content per unit volume than straight gasoline. Think of ethanol as a "hollow molecule" or a filler to stretch gasoline volume. That is why E-10 blends yield less vehicle MPG than straight gasoline. One original intent of ethanol was to lessen U.S reliance on imports of foreign oil.

4. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    I did not know that i thought it was for emission pollution and price only

5. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    I been running ethanol free for years now in the 308 and all my small engines too.
    lawnmower starts on first pull every year...

6. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Since there is more hydrogen content and less carbon content in ethanol than raw gasoline, there is a slight improvement (reduction) in emissions. Historically, ethanol prices were higher than raw gasoline prices, which resulted in a slightly higher finished (E-10) gasoline blended price at the local pump. Currently, ethanol prices are about the same as raw unblended gasoline prices due to an over-supply of ethanol hitting the EPA mandated 10% blend wall. Thus, at the current time, ethanol is not having much of a price impact on finished (E-10) gasoline prices.

7. 328PWC

328PWC Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 5, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Cissell
    I have been using ethanol free gas (VP racing fuel) for two years also and have noticed the same results; stronger acceleration. Also I don’t have to worry about the deterioration of the fuel lines from using ethanol gas. Car runs much better than the Shell V-Power I was using before. However, at $8.00 / gallon, it is not cheap. Attached is a link for the various fuels offered by VP Racing.

VP RACING FUELS MASTER FUEL TABLE

8. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I used VP for a long time, but $7-9. a gallon put me off. Buying it by the drum got expensive! I have used AVGAS for the last 10 years (less than $4 a gallon here). On a turbo car the extra octane is worth a lot of horsepower. I have access to cheap/pump E-85 (less than $2.00/gal) but I have not tried to tune with it.

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I noticed an improvement on the first tank of 90 octane ethanol free gas and it's improved subsequently. The flat spot at 3K is just about gone and my mileage is at least 20% better.

A lot of us have switched fuel lines to ethanol friendly material but I still worry about its effect on the carbs and related gaskets.

E-Free is 3.99/Gal here.

10. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Lucky for us Canadians Shell V-Power is Ethanol free and available at any Shell fuel station. :D

11. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Does anyone know of a close place to buy ethanol free gas in the Chicago suburbs? The closest station is about 45 min. away according to the pure gas website. How do you buy AVgas in a car? Do you need connections at the local airport?

12. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    There's an ethanol free gas finder on line.
    Don't have the link handy but google will.

13. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

14. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Most marinas also sell E-0 and might be closer for you than an airport.

15. brettgagnon

brettgagnon Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Brett Gagnon
    and to grease the political wheels of the farm lobby

16. brettgagnon

brettgagnon Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2011
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Brett Gagnon
    Hear hear!!

17. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    And Chevron 94 which is available at most Chevron stations - in BC at least but unfortunately not available cross-border in WA.

18. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Ethanol is turning out to be one of the biggest shams ever foisted on the American people. That's the nicest thing I can say about ethanol.

19. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    #19 mwr4440, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    Only dumbass Americans, Russians and Humanity Majors buy E10 here.

It has been delt a good shot to the balls.

E05 is the normal pump juice here.

20. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    I can vouch for the ethanol in maritime environments. It is a big nuisance. In an environment where a little moisture in fuel is already commonplace, and where water separators are normal practice, the ethanol mixes with the water and seems to make it more corrosive.
    Tanks are mostly plastic or stainless but water separators are often not and they can now corrode in just a few years. Worst is that it wreaks havoc on carburettors especially of the aluminum alloy type. Oxidation of the float chamber floor leads to uncurable clogging of jets. They really do not like it.

21. E-Dino

E-Dino Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2012
    San Diego
    Some teacher in the future to his students: "Can you believe those idiots turned their food into gasoline?"

22. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    You will need to buy it in a fual can at your local airport. Most airports have self service now. (usually cheaper than the FBO truck).

23. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Ethanol in gasoline has no discernible redeeming qualities, or at least not enough to offset its enormous negatives. Great lobbyists, though!

24. Bullittm3

Bullittm3 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2013
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Brad
    I called all the places that sells home heating oil, and I found a place that delivers recreational gas (non ethanol, 90 octane) to my home in a 55gal drum. They sold me a hand crank pump and nozzle, and now I have my own little gas station for my cars. It is super convenient and whenever I run out, they come out and replace my empty drum with a full one. Another benefit to doing it this way, I pay wholesale price for the gas, not retail. This place that I use sells to a lot of landscaping companies.

25. DDD

DDD Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2011
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    BE VERY CAREFUL WITH AV GAS in a car it is not the same as ethanol free or recreational fuel. From what I have read do not use it. Research it.