Unofficial 308 tool kit specifications | FerrariChat

Unofficial 308 tool kit specifications

Discussion in '308/328' started by piezo, Nov 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I think this one is definitely a thread that ought to show up with the price of 308s soaring, but unfortunately not until now.

I'm no expert in tool kits compared with others like Big Tex and nerofer. They have talked about publishing the 308 tool kit book for a while ;), so for the time being while we are still waiting, I'll throw in some data/info gathered about tool kits over the years. To make it easier for me as I'm using mobile mostly, I'll use separate posts. All information are empirically collected and unofficial.

Credits goes to Big Tex the pioneer, nerofer and many others contributed to the various tool kit threads here.

2. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I think it's a pretty good summary by nerofer from another thread earlier as a start:

3. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #3 piezo, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
    #1 Screwdrivers

There are 4 screwdrivers in each and every tool kit, 2 Philips head/crossed head and 2 Flathead/blade.

There are generally 3 different handle types, 2 being orange translucent and 1 dark red/brown translucent:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The round ended 4-fluted orange translucent usual appears in carb cars as they are those carried over from the 246 era. Some of them may be carrying the V10.000 or V12.000 marking, but it's rare:
    The flat ended 6-fluted orange translucent appear from 70s to about 1982, i.e. For carb, 2V and early QVs. They have no marking except the "chrom vanadium" on the blade. These markings are difficult to see or read and do vary sometimes. I guess the manufacturers can't spell properly:
    The 6-fluted dark red/brown translucent has no marking on the handle and size variations are the same as the other two types:
    The big Philips are almost always 225mm in length:
    The small Philips, the big flathead and small flathead are mainly 230mm, 207mm or 185mm in length:
    You will expect a set to have all the same type of handle, but it seems this may not be the case for the earlier kits with orange translucent handle. You will find round ended mixed with flat ended:
    [​IMG]

4. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    Great info thanks very much

5. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #5 piezo, Nov 21, 2015
    #2 Wrenches/Spanners

There are 8 wrenches in each and every tool kit. The wrench sizes are 22/20mm, 19/18mm, 17/16mm, 15/14mm or 14/14mm, 13/12mm, 11/10mm, 9/8mm and 7/6mm:
    There are mainly 5 different brand/type: Everest No.22/Made in India (up to 1980), Polytools Italy/Chrom Vanadium (1979-1983), Chrum Vanadium Kravm/Ferrari (1983-85), Ferrari only (very late QVs) and Utema No.1000 or No.1200 (Randomly appears but mainly in QVs):

Everest are pretty straight forward. As they are found in the carb kits with Tommy bar handled spark plug wrench, there is no 14/14 combination wrench usually. See first pic attached. Make sure you have "Made in India" as pictured:
    Polytools has 3 types. 1 without the parallelogram and 2 with. Those with parallelograms are separated into 2 types, a thicker entirely matt finish and a thinner one with the heads slightly brushed finish:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    And the Polytools 14/14 combination wrench has 2 types, a general one and a "CV Special", note that the shapes are different as well. Both types appear randomly with the CV Special more frequently found:
    Kravm has 2 types, matt finish is more common and the chrome finish like the F40 tools were also found:
    "Ferrari" only is subject to debate as there are not many spotted until just recently:
    Utema can be found as a complete set including the 14/14mm combination wrench or as individual wrench appearing in a kit, although this is subject to debate it has been seen a few times already and you would think if people are going to "fill the hole" why not the same type as others?

6. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #6 piezo, Nov 21, 2015
  7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Great job Piezo. That is what I was looking for. Thanks!

Rossogtb likes this.
  8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    Fantastic!

9. Green308GTSi

Green308GTSi Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Barry Cross
    Great job Steven, thank you.

I agree with everything you have said. What I will add is sometimes the change from one brand or style of tool was not as smooth as described. For example my 1982 308 GTSi came with a spark socket with a tommy bar and silver pliers and some the injected cars had black pliers and no tommy bar (closer to QV). I think Ferrari used all of one run of tools before they started another run and the shift wasn't just by model.

10. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Before continuing, a few more pictures to elaborate on the screwdrivers and wrenches.

The following shows the "chrom vanadium" marking on orange translucent screwdrivers previously described. More difficult to see if it's rusted so I didn't bother to picture those:
    Another set with mixed orange translucent handles:
    This picture shows the thickness differences between the matt finish Polytools wrenches of the same size:
    This one is the chrom finish Kravm wrench:
    This one is the matt finish Kravm wrench:
    This is the other side of the "Ferrari" only wrench previously shown:
    And I couldn't find the picture of the Utema N.1200... Anyone has it?

11. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
  12. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #3 Window crank

Typically it's not really a tool kit piece as it's not included in the tool kit page of the owner manual. But there is a convenient pocket in the pouch between the wrenches and the pliers pockets.

There are only 2 distinctive types, the early Z-shaped that was carried over from the 246 era (up to early QVs) and the later T-shaped (QVs only):
    The early Z-shaped has a plastic handle that can rotate freely to facilitate cranking action:
    The later T-shaped has a handle with one wedge-end for you to remove the covering piece of cranking hole:
    They are almost always black, but some could become a bit silverfish possibly caused by excessive cleaning:

13. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #4 Pliers

There are mainly 4 different types, the early black one without plastic sheath (mostly carb cars but also found in some 2V cars), the plated one with orange/red sheath (from late carb cars to QVs), the red moulding handled one with white Ferrari lettering on both sides (later QVs) and the red moulding handled one with black Ferrari lettering on one side and black Kravm on the other side (very late QVs).

The black one has varied etched handle and usually 190mm in length, some are 160mm in length:
    The orange/red (more orange than red) sheath one is the most abundant, which is plated and always 190mm in length:
    The red moulding with white lettering one is also plated mostly. Some are black headed, but seems to be more appropriate for the 328 kit:
    The black lettered red moulding ones are typically black headed:
    The last one is highly debatable, the other coloured-handle ones. There were claims of blue ones and yellow ones, but not of significant amount to substantiate the originality claim. This blue handled one is of more credibility, but still possibly from the later generic replacement kits:

14. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #5 Spark Plug Wrench

Mainly 2 types, the early Tommy bar type (up to 1980) and later one to be used with the 14/14mm combination wrench (starting from 1979 till the end of 308 production).

Tommy bar type are composed of two pieces, the bar and the wrench main body. It is similar to the design of those for 246 but having a much shorter "neck". A rubber catch shall be inside the socket. There should be a click so the bar can stay in the middle position but this mechanism can seize if the bar was not removed from the main wrench body for an extended period:
    The later 14mm plug wrenches have a few variants. They all have a 21mm inner socket bore measurement and there should be a rubber catch inside usually in orange or black colour. Some have the middle neck in black and some with a hump in the crown piece:

15. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
  16. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #16 piezo, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
    #7 Tool Kit Pouch - the end

Mainly 2 variants, the mainstream 4 screwdrivers+8 wrenches+1 window crank+2 pliers+1 spark plug wrench=16 pockets type (for all 308s) and the 4 screwdrivers+8 wrenches+1 window crank+1 pliers+1 spark plug wrench=15 pockets type (for very late QVs). They are all made of black synthetic leather with two snaps. Those without the pocket for spark plug wrench is not for 308s.

The mainstream type has some variations as well. The very early ones may have different fabric for the flap instead of black fabrics. Such as robertgarven's red patterned one and this grey fabric one:
    Normal ones look like this:
    Material of the pouch are normally rather thick and just look like leather but there are some having a softer material with a regular pattern that is not very visible unless you look closely:
    Snaps mostly have the inscription of "Fiocchi * italy *" on the back of the male stud and visible on the inside near the 16/17mm wrench pocket:
    The later type looks like this, note the single big pocket for the pliers:

Well, I think I have covered everything about the 308 tool kits that I know of. Feel free to comment. One thing is certain that all original tool kits have variations to a certain degree and not as precise as the modern era kits. So, don't be surprised by anything that differs from what I have described here.

I believe if you are aiming at concourse shows, anything period correct will do just fine. Unless you want definitely the exact correct tool in the pouch, it won't be too difficult to assemble your own.

One last word about repro items as you may wonder. Yeah there are repros for almost everything except the wrenches I guess as there are abundant out there. I know the orange/red translucent screwdrivers, window cranks, old black pliers, carb tool and pouch (ask Alberto aka Albert-LP ;)) have high quality repros. Others may be, but unsure.

It's "Unofficial" and just a sharing of knowledge. Flame suit on anyway... :D

17. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #17 piezo, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015

You are definitely correct about the Ferrari practice in the old days, Barry. Some more detailed information I chose to ignore such as the very late brown screwdrivers that appear mostly in the 328 kit with white lettering and the placement of window cranks etc... Anyway, too much to just think about.

18. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael
  19. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Great work researching, Steven.
    And interesting. I have rarely seen such creepy tools like those early ones.
    I find it incredible, that Ferrari supplied such POS with the cars.

Best Regards
    Martin

20. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    Great job Steven!! Thanks for sharing all that information. It's also amazes me that Ferrari used to provide all the production cars with all these tools. Those days are over.

21. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Thank you Steven for this nice reference.

Are you sure 160mm pliers were available in the 308 tool kits? I have never seen a 308 kit with other than 190mm pliers. I believe the 246 Dino's all had 190mm pliers also.

22. DMWC

DMWC Formula 3

Jan 23, 2013
    Sydney Australia
    Full Name:
    David C
    Thanks Steven for collating a lot of tool kit information into this one thread.

My 85 Aussie delivered QV has a tool kit enroute via FedEx so I will re-read your thread with much interest and compare my tools to your pictures once the tools are in front of me.

23. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    #23 robertgarven, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Some early kits had this plaid another fchater has the jack bag with this also.

There is also another socket in the parts book which I have but not sure what it is? It is #9 in diagram.

Note: On some t bar handle spark plug tools the head is cylindrical as in the diagram, not rounded and some have a groove in the t bar also (as pictured also).

24. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

Interesting Robert! Never seen that #9 thing. Cross referencing the owner manual and simple online translate, it may translate into "Removing spanner for spark plugs extension" or something like that. Attached the copy of the Italian version of 76 spare parts catalogue for GT4 here see if Alberto can help?

25. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    #25 nerofer, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A small addition to steven's illustrations:

Variations in 1980's screwdrivers:

Note on the picture (all three screwdrivers are the small philipps for convenience) the difference in color and material of the handles:

From top to bottom, first picture:
    Translucent red, without the white "Ferrari script": 1983 to 1986
    Deep brown, only very slightly translucent (you have to put it in front of a light to see it), with "Ferrari" script, but later font: 1986 - 1989
    Red-brown translucent, with the "Ferrari" script: 1984 to 1988.

Second picture is to illustrate closer, notably the difference in the style of the script's letters. Not that one is read "top to bottom", (the "F" is attop the handle)
    the other one bottom to top...
    Again, NO 3x8 tool roll should have solid Black handle screwdrivers: these came later, during the 1990