Yes, another slow window thread | FerrariChat

Yes, another slow window thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by DANCER308, Jan 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    #1 DANCER308, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2016
    '79 GTS. I have read all of the threads and I have all of the circuit diagrams. I have even added the 2 relays in the passenger door. The window has been working fine for about 3 years. Now the window is getting slow again. I was thinking about degreasing the window motor and even changing the 2 relays to add a direct 12v supply. But, during my research I discovered that the black wire on the passenger window switch,(in the red circle) which according to the diagram should be ground, is actually 12v. It looks like factory wiring on the switch. The attached drawing is from Paul Bennett, and matches my service manual diagrams. Did Ferrari change the wiring at some point?

BTW, the switches in the diagrams make it look as if 12v is actually on both wires on both motors, very strange.

2. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    The wires swap polarity to reverse the motors, so no wire is constantly 12V or ground - they swap - this is done at the switch.

3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    On my '82 GTSi The window channel molding was also a factor. Combination of hardened grease slowing down the gearing and the window glass binding on the rubber where the channel floss was worn away.

4. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thsnks.

Yes i saw that was happening when i opened the switches for cleaning, just looked that way from the diagram.

5. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Yes thanks, i'll check that also.

6. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    I like my windows slow... :)

7. scowman

scowman F1 Rookie

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Squirt your window channels with windex. Get them soaking wet. Then test speed. If speed is dramatically better change your channel felt and readjust the cable to make sure it is not binding (tilting) when it rolls up.

8. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Thanks, I will.

9. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    OK, here is what I found. I currently have the 2 relay fix on the pass window to provide a shorter route to ground. One of the relays had corrosion in it. Cleaned it out and the window started working again, but still slow when using the drivers switch. PO had added a new 12v wire from the fuse panel into the passenger door. Instead of the black wire on the pass switch going to ground, it went to the fuse panel. Strange, but it works, but only for the pass switch. The drivers switch still used the long route to provide 12v. I decided to use Paul Bennetts 2 relay mod in the pass door. Took the 12v lead on pass switch and removed it from the fuse panel ran it to ground. Removed the 12v lead from the driver switch. Ran a new ground from under the dash and a 12v lead from the fuse panel into the pass door. Wired both switches so that all they do is provide a ground to either one side or the other(up or down). Works really fast now. Thanks Paul.

10. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Almost Oregon, California
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    I am just starting the 2 relay fix and think I have the right information. But you mention an electrical diagram in you post and I am wondering how I can get my hands on one - just to make sure the information I have is correct. I know there has been a lot of posts about this but I am embarrassed to say I have a hard time locating old posts.

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Buy two new modern motor and cable assemblies and dont look back. The windows work like new car windows, no relays, no monkey business.

12. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I'll see what I can do. The diagram belongs to Paul, and not sure if it is OK to post it.

Dan

13. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    I would not post it. You can buy it from Paul Bennet at Wiring Diagrams 308 365 400i 512 for a small cost.

Peter

14. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
    #14 Pero, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  15. johnhunt

johnhunt Formula Junior

Aug 9, 2013
    Washington
    Full Name:
    John Hunt
    It's in your owners manual also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens

Oh, it's the whole car wiring diagram. I have that. I was thinking it was of the relay wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    I believe I have 2 New Old Stock ones if you're interested. Factory parts, new. PM if interested.

18. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    It still doesn't solve how the factory set up the routing of the power. switching ground at the switch and the length of runs between said switch and window motor causes a massive drop in voltage and very high current draw. Yeah the dual relays are a it of a bugger to install but once done the main power no longer routes round the north 40 and back.

Now if one goes to the trouble of also ditching the cable routing then sure no need to re-wire the circuit... but that would be more invasive then just adding in two relays.

19. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    There is another thread on this issue here somewhere, please look. I for myself did two things. First changed the Fuse Blocks to the Birdman Type. There was an immediate increase in voltage to the window motors, but not enough to satisfactory. On Birdman's site there is also a link to the Window Accelerators sold by Rodney Dickman. Very simple to install and Voila! Work great and all I did on top of that is lubricate the cables and pulleys with White Lithium Grease. They are almost like modern car windows now. I am sure there are other ways to skin this cat, but that was my personal experience.

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    It fixes the problem. Ive installed a lot of them, how many have you installed?

21. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    would it be sufficient to replace the motors and just clean and regrease the gear assembly?
    I cannot imagine, what should be better with new gears. Moreover since I again worry about 'new parts quality'.

But nevertheless I also vote for a relay setup. Moreover if one uses new switches. They are such poor quality. I purchased a set and after one year they began making trouble. I then repaired my old ones. The contact material of the new ones is plain crap.

Best Regards
    Martin

22. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    A dozen or so why?

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    The aftermarket modern motors available are a new compact motor complete with gear and cable. Ive put them in boxers and 308's and testarossas. They work great but each model requires a different cable length, even one boxer to the next can vary such as injected to carb'd because the motor is in a different position. They work great with the original switches, fast like a new car and quiet.

24. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Then you would know it fixes the problem if using the ones Im referring to.

25. redqv

redqv Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ron Stevens
    I'm sorry that I have stirred the pot. But I guess it wouldn't be FChat without several opinions. What I am planning to do, is what a friend of mine has just done, and it works great - is to provide a new wire from the hot side of fuse panel to each door via the existing rubber conduits. There will be an inline fuse up near the fuse panel for each wire. Two relays will be installed at each window and will connect to the existing switch wires. A new ground wire will be provided back to the car via the rubber conduit and will be grounded to the frame. I will be using "Tri Flow" spray on the cable/pulley mechanisms. Oh, and clean up the contacts on the existing switches, unless someone can tell me where to get the nice new switches that have internal lights that someone here used, but I can't find the damn thread!