288 GTO conversion panels needed | FerrariChat

288 GTO conversion panels needed

Discussion in '308/328' started by Kirk Evans, Mar 7, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kirk Evans

Kirk Evans Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    #1 Kirk Evans, Mar 7, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Some of the readers have been following the reconstruction efforts to rebuild a front end damaged 89-328 low mileage car posted on http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50125 The car was sold and the new owner found a good 89-GTS front clip. I was hired to install the sheet metal and decided to buy the remaining car. It has 17 + thousand miles and looks to be in good shape less crash damage. We were going to convert it into a street rod but I think it may be faster and more fun to build a GTO conversion.

I would like to know who has the panels available and out of the venders---who provides the best quality. I'm in the high quality composite business and would prefer to buy from a high quality manufacture.

Is there information on the conversion and/or is there an owner---conversion person on this forum whom I could talk to?

Has anyone built a true convertible out of a 328 GTS yet? I know the obvious design issues on the deck will be interesting to overcome but think this GTO convertible idea will be worth the effort and be fun to build.

Your thoughts---good or bad---By the way, the car in question can not be rebuilt to original at this point. To much side damage and (soon) no front end. I know that modifying Ferraris is not the norm----this will not be an embracement if it gets built.

Thanks

Kirk Evans --- AmeriSport ---
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    #2 Fan512bbi, Mar 7, 2005
  3. rdmcpherson

rdmcpherson Rookie

Dec 6, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Duncan McPherson
    Try Butch Hooper at http://www.italianauto.com/. This used to be Jim Carpenter's business in Phoenix; Carpenter was a crook (at least in my dealings with him) but I believe the successor owner is a better guy and has the panels you're looking for. Expect plenty of hand work to get everything to fit properly.

Good luck!

4. spider348

spider348 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I think the end result would be a fantastic Ferrari! Of course I am biased, the 288 GTO is 1 of my all time favorites.
    You could start with Butch Hooper at Italian Racing and Design. He has a 288 GTO kit I think. I purchased his 288 front and Euro rear bumper reproductions for my former 308. Good quality parts. Good luck.

5. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Try Nick,
    He's in Ventura, California, and manufactures GTO body kits for a reasonable price.

Nick Mrozinski
    805-659-1039 Home
    805-659-0259 Work
    [email protected]

6. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    hey I just posted in your other thread about pics of the red 328

I am wondering if you have some pics of the damage to this black car im looking at a 328 that has damage in the front and rear but its the LH rear corner that was damaged not to bad it can be fixed but im looking for some references

thanks

johnny

7. astjr

astjr Karting

Feb 13, 2004
  8. Kirk Evans

Kirk Evans Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    Johnny,

What are you looking for? References??? I have pictures but don't know how my pictures would help you with your purchace. I'll help if I can---Just advise.

Kirk

9. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    yes some references and your opinion of the damage as I know from you other thread that you have taen these apart before

check this thread for pics of the car im looking at

I know its too expensive but Im sure I can save it

anyway here it is

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51036

10. Kirk Evans

Kirk Evans Rookie

Feb 10, 2004
    #10 Kirk Evans, Mar 8, 2005
    Thank you for the pictures. I thought you may like to see our cut and paste design rendition of the car. Thanks again.

Kirk
    Image Unavailable, Please Login