308 vetro values | FerrariChat

308 vetro values

Discussion in '308/328' started by zvdxb, Feb 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zvdxb

zvdxb Karting

Aug 31, 2014
    East/West
    Full Name:
    ZV
    Hi,

just wanted to know what everyone's views are re the value impact of the 308 vetro would likely be given the recent sale of one in Scottsdale for 357k .

Rgds

2. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    #2 greg 19425, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Even better for the Vetroresina market given that it wasn't in a fully restored condition and still went for that price!

4. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    It may be that a lot of people thought it was fully restored. Even here, before auction, some folks were calling it the best VR anywhere...

So someone got a really nice, less than perfect car and overpaid a bit maybe, so what? It's still a great car. If an enthousiast bought it, he will be thrilled. If an investor bought it, he may need to wait a bit before he's thrilled.

I just love GTBs and I really dig it when the market respects them a bit too.

5. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    this is a clear indication not enthousiasts are involved anymore. Based on those two pictures this looks like a very bad/quick rest purely aimed on profit. Do not be upset for the new owner as he/she is clearly not one with knowledge or fulfilling a childhood dream.

6. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    I think that maybe a slightly harsh assesment of the situation, Steven!
    I look at it this way .... what else is there now under £150-250k for a true Ferrari enthusiast to buy?
    Dino's, 512/365 BBi's are long gone, and unlikely to return to this price level again and even the previously unloved 348's are pushing £100k ..... at the end of the day, its still less than a new fully spec'd California T or 488GTB, that will both depreciate like mad and not offer any of the 'hands on' true Ferrari experience or even exclusivity (now).... i know what i would choose..... :)

BR,
    Jez

7. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    I believe there is a thread about the car on this forum. It certainly was not a "bad/quick rest purely aimed on profit."

The car was likely better than when it left the factory.

8. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven

I said, based on those two pictures. I stand to what i said. The attention to details sucks.

9. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Do not mix availability with quality. Im not saying this car is not worth the money ( although it seems too high for) I'm saying that a restored car demanding this money should have been a lot better.

10. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

The car is not in a restored condition. For some reason this point keeps getting missed.

11. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I'm seeing several 308s and 328s listed on eBay for 2-3x the amount they would have been 18 months ago... but I'm also seeing those cars list again, and again, and again with apparently no buyers lining up in a bidding war.

Granted, there is a finite number of those cars - but, there's also a finite number of people that are willing to pay $150K for a 328GTS.

12. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Maybe it wasnt a concourse restoration, but certainly looked like the major jobs had been done during a 60k recent work over ..... it also had Classiche , so cant have been soooo bad, can it (i know what some of you think about this, but certainly its been my experience that they go over the car with a fine tooth comb!).

Perhaps the new owner wanter a rare and beautiful Ferrari to use and enjoy, rather than show..... thats maybe why he paid the money he did, thats exactly what he got..... probably paid next Years price, thats all........ so what??!!!!

Regs,
    Jez

13. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Exactly!

Still a great car and becoming greater, justifiably, as time passes.

14. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    People forget that Classiche is about originality and authenticity, not condition.
    So worn original seats, crumbling original suspension bushes and oil leaks won't prevent you getting certification. (I'm not saying that was the case with this car )

M

15. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    i wasn't forgetting that mike .... i have put the Dino GTS i previously owned through the Classiche process, and realise that its primarily about authenticity .... :)

I do think that Vetro 308 dry sump model does deserve a place in the Ferrari 'hall of fame'
    and its why i believe that this car sold at the price it did ..... at the end of the day, the details mentioned, can be easily sorted, should the lucky new owner choose to do so.

BR,
    Jez

16. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    ^^^^my thoughts exactly

17. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    #17 Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    I think this is the ex ROMA one restored by Toni in Modena ? Would have thought it would be pretty good after that.

Evidently he also has another 3 unrestored cars. should be interesting where they finish up too value wise

18. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Very good point there.... I think sometimes we forget what 1970's Italian QC was actually like! For sure a competently restored car which I believe from earlier threads this example was, would be far better screwed together than it was when it left Maranello in '76..... Or maybe the previous owner left out the minor details for period authenticity?!
    BR,
    Jez

19. MikeRSR

MikeRSR Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2009
    Surrey, England
    Interesting then that there's a Vetro recently for sale in the UK with Classiche and a deep front spoiler....

20. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    most probably put back on after the Classiche procedure was finished!

21. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Then the question should be , how Much would a full nut and bolt painstaking full restoration car sell for ? Is 500 realistic ?

I know you won't believe it, but there is at least one euro veto car that has the paper work showing the option.

22. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's never really worked like that, has it? Historically, the person who's carried out the restoration has wasted a huge %age of the money....for the benefit of the next owner, usually.

How many times have you heard of people spending $100k restoring a car worth $120k, for example? Happens a lot.

23. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    Hi Big Red,
    Honestly, i don't see why we wouldn't see the very best early dry sump 308 GTB's hitting the 350-500k mark in the foreseeable future ..... i see the Goodings example as an advance guard, thats all.
    If we consider the 308 GTB:

-rare (especially in carb ,dry sump form)
    -Iconic design that everyone from children to pensioners ,recognise as a Ferrari.
    -racing pedigree
    -easy and low cost to maintain (for a Ferrari!)
    -usable classic - relatively quick
    -parts relatively plentiful

3-4 years ago, i think much of this list would have applied to Dino 246's, when good ones were selling at c.200k ...... look where they are today , 400k for a driver and 600k for a fully restored car . Who would have thought that?

BR,
    Jez