Air hose below Coolant Resevior? STRANGE - NO START | FerrariChat

Air hose below Coolant Resevior? STRANGE - NO START

Discussion in '308/328' started by kbento, May 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kbento

kbento Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bento
    #1 kbento, May 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just got done doing some Spring Projects on my 85 308 QV (I hope!)

Strangest thing. I replaced the fuel pump, check valve, accumulator & fuel filter over the weekend. As well as some nice, new SRI Fuel Hoses! It went pretty well, I'll post my steps in a separate thread with some pointers for future gearheads that want to tackle it. Its not too difficult but there are a few tricky things, I'll post them.

Anyway, while I was under the car working on the fuel pump stuff, I looked up above the rear axle area and saw a rubber hose disconnected! Looks to be about a 3/4" hose with a clamp. I thought I may have slid it off with all my reaching around in the engine compartment from above, so I just slid it back on and tightened the hose clamp.

I went about my business and replaced all of the items above and tested the system by disconnecting the blue safety switch on the fuel distribute, put about 4 gallons of fuel into the tank, turned the Key to Position II and let the pump run and pressurize the system. No leaks! Great!! Time to fire it up and test it out.

Reconnected the safety switch, crossed fingers and let it crank. And thats all it did. Crank. And crank. And crank. 4-5 second intervals, like 5 or 6 times with 5 minutes between tries. Still nothing. It would crank fine, sort of fire once in awhile but then nothing. I let it sit overnight and tried again the next day. Same results... Checked I was getting fuel, yes. Checked there was spark, yes (by the way, Advance Auto sells a cool little "pen" that you can lay on the ignition wires and it will light up if there is voltage going to the plugs, worked great, didnt have to pull any plugs to verify spark)

Scratched my head, among other things. Then I remembered the hose below the coolant overflow tank that I reconnected in all my work. I slid it off to see if it would make a difference and BINGO. Fired right up with authority! Thought it might be a fluke, so I let it run and warm up. Shut it down and tried it again after 10 min. It fired right up again. Immediately. And by the way, Ive never seen such good starts from my 308 ever! It would immediately start. I waited over night. Still strong starts!! I slid the hose back on the bib and NO STARTS!

As another test I would disconnect the hose and get my nice strong start. While running, I would reconnect the hose, engine would sputter and die, or sputter unhappily until I pulled the hose off, when it would go back to a normal nice strong idle!!

So, the question is, what the heck is this hose. Its a decent diameter, about 1/2" ID or 3/4", it looks like it runs from under the Fuel Distributor cavity, goes to under the Coolant Reservoir where it meets a metal bib, the other side of this metal piece has another bib where it converts to a hose again and goes up and under the intake manifold. I cant really see where it goes to under there... See the pics attached.

I wanted to see if anyone can give me some ideas. I got the car about 3 years ago and I think this hose has been disconnected the whole time! Obviously intentional to let the car start and run normal. But I know that it shouldnt be disconnected, not normal! What is it for? And why do you think its giving the engine issues when its connected?

Many thanks all!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
  3. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
  4. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Pretty sure it connects the mergatroid to the skenecktakadoink...

5. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    FYI, it looks like you are missing one of the plugs off the sample port pipe there too.

6. Jdubbya

Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
  7. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Got to give the sponsors a plug whenever we have the chance.

8. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    That is the auxiliary air valve, part of the cold start warm up system. I think the hose runs to under the cold start injector on the plenum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The function of the aux air valve is to let additional metered air into the intake, and is only "open" (allowing air to pass) when the car is cold. With the hose disconnected, when the valve is open (car is cold), unmetered air is entering the system. If the car runs with the hose disconnected, but not when it is connected I'm guessing the mixture and/or idle and/or other things are all set to compensate for the unmetered air -- meaning of course, it's highly unlikely the car will run well when cold if the hose is connected again. Again, just a guess...

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That's a very happy important hoe, I had mine came loose and it prevented me from starting my QV, it's like have a majore vacuum leak if that hose get disconnected.

11. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    That's right on from my understanding. The AAV, auxiliary air valve, on the underside of the coolant tank is a thermostatically controlled valve - it's about half open when the coolant is cold, then as coolant heats up the valve gradually closes. The purpose is to allow additional air around the throttle when the engine is cold to support a higher idle speed - the cold start injector adds extra fuel to coincide with the extra air.

As the coolant heats up, the AAV closes, and your idle speed drops to normal warm idle.

So, basically - kbento's idle speed and throttle adjustments must be really, really way out of wack; or the hose from the post-fuel distributor to AAV is plugged; or the AAV is broken, stuck closed, etc. If his car was set up correctly, then even if the hose or AAV was plugged or fully closed when the engine was warm it should make no difference to his idle or engine operations, since no air should be going through at that point anyway. (when the engine is warm)

12. kbento

kbento Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bento
    Thanks Guys... Gordon, I think your scenario is most likely as when the hose if off, it starts and idles fine. When the hose is connected, it wont start. So it must be plugged upstream (between the AAV and the fuel distributor). Ill investigate in that direction. Thanks all

13. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
  14. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #14 Crowndog, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016

I believe the description above is mostly correct. The AAV is controlled by an electronic bimetallic element whose signal determines the opening and closing. There is a separate thermostatically controlled switch on the tank.

15. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
  16. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I'm going to guess that the last person who "tuned" the car didn't know that hose was disconnected and did things to compensate for it. Yes, having that hose off lets unmetered air into the engine so it will either run super lean or something would have to be done to richen the mixture to get it to stay running at idle. As someone said, a massive vacuum leak when cold. I'd suggest getting the Bosh Jetronic book and going through the setup from the start. I'll bet the idle adjust and CO adjust for the car is way out of spec to make up for that hose being disconnected. Does your area have smog testing?

17. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Does you car still have the super fast idle circuit enabled when cold? Does it idle at 2000-ish rpm for the first minute or so? If so, this might help mask that hose being off when cold. That other valve could be allowing enough metered air in that there's enough fuel to stay running when cold.

Then the engine chokes on too much fuel when the hose is connected? Hmmm, I haven't tried any of that either accidentally or on purpose.

18. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    #18 Brian Harper, May 4, 2016
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
    Sorry third post. I feel like Big Tex.

That would be TWO major vacuum leaks when cold. The AAV would be letting in unmetered air and the hose that is off would also be letting in unmetered air. I don't think you could compensate the system enough to make the car idle like that at all. There's got to be at least one more piece to this puzzle. AAV is always closed or hose is plugged or part of both. Or something.

I just don't think you could screw with the system enough to make anything work with that hose disconnected and everything else as it should be.

19. kbento

kbento Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bento
    #19 kbento, Jun 20, 2016
    OK, the AAV is definitely working. I got a videoscope in there when the engine was cold and again after its warmed up. See the pics. It was 3/4 open with cold, and after starting and warming up, the valve closed. So I think the AAV is working correctly.

So, Im heading in the fuel distributor direction. I did notice that the fuel mixture adjustment screw is missing on my fuel distributor. Its plugged with a rubber grommet. If I remove the grommet, there is a hole into the fuel distributor below.

Obviously I want to replace this with the correct adjustment screw. From other posts I see that its a 3mm or 4mm hex screw:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/technical-q-sponsored-algar-ferrari/484612-bolt-missing-top-308qv-fuel-distributor.html

Anyone know the exact size and length for an '85 QV? Where can I source one? Or can I get a 3mm Hex Nut and cut it to the correct length?

Maybe because this adjustment screw is missing, my engine wont start or idle with the AAV hose connected?

20. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #20 Steve Magnusson, Jun 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
    The "screw" that you are missing (that has been replaced by the rubber plug) is just a cover screw (not an adjustment screw) -- functionally, having the rubber plug there is fine (and some model/years do use a rubber plug there IIRC). However, if the mixture adjustment screw (which is further down the hole the rubber plug is blocking) was adjusted with that hose on the AAV disconnected = when you reconnect the hose to the AAV, the system A/F ratio will be way different. Additionally, with that hose to the AAV disconnected, a large amount of air would be leaking into the free hose end of the hose into the plenum (thru the airflow metering device downstream of the airflow metering plate) = a very good chance that the throttle plate and air bypass adjustments are wacky too (if with that hose disconnected the idle is OKish). This is a downside of CIS -- when something goes wrong, a bunch of mis-adjustments of other items can sort of compensate for it. So if the problem ever get properly fixed, all those mis-adjustments need to be readjusted.

21. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    Its both. The bimetallic strip which moves the flap does have a heater but also the valve can be fully closed by heat from the tank. If the electrical plug is disconnected it does still function but closes more slowly so there is a period of excessive idle speed during warm up.

I forgot to plug it back in once and thats what happened :)

22. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. kbento

kbento Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bento
    Thanks Steve, I will see if the Mixture Adjustment screw is there and report back... Yeah, it looks like I will need to start adjusting things to set them right again. I really dont want to leave the air hose disconnected on the AAV, cant be good to be sucking in unfiltered air into the engine. I may be in for a big pain in the rear by taking on the manual adjustments, but its the right thing to do. Can you list the adjustments I will be getting into? I have to read up on them and learn how to adjust.

24. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    IMO, your best reference would be the Mondial8/QV WSM 281/83 Chapter D. If your '85 is a US version, it's K-Jet with Lambda, but the basic set-up and idle tweak-up are done with the O2 sensor unplugged, and that essentially changes it into a K-Jet without Lambda as covered in 281/83. The basic adjustments starting from scratch IIRC are:

1. throttle plate cracked open a little from rest (something like ~1/16th of a turn).

2. Air bypass screw open maybe 1/2 turn (this conflicts a little with 281/83, but is, I believe, something that they changed to).

3. The mixture screw set to have fuel just come out of the fuel distributor ports (line to injector disconnected) with the fuel pump running and the conditions specified in 281/83 Chapter D (which I can't recall ;)).

4. If it's a US K-Jet with Lambda, confirm that the Frequency Valve is buzzing (by touch), when the fuel pump is running before doing anything else.

Good Hunting! (If you search on something like "K-Jet with Lambda" or maybe "K-Jet with Lambda air bypass" you should get prior threads -- maybe too many ;).)

25. kbento

kbento Rookie

May 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Full Name:
    Kevin Bento
    #25 kbento, Jun 22, 2016
    OK, I investigated the Adjustment Screw below my rubber cap, and I think its missing! Look at the pics below, I was able to get my camerascope down into the cavity by pushing down on the diaphragm and angling the camera at the arm. It looks like its missing, yes?

I can get a 3mm hex down in through the hole from above but it doesnt catch on anything that I can turn. And pushing down with the 3mm hex through the hole pushes the arm down and thus lowers the diaphragm plate.

Or am I not getting the 3mm hex into the arm correctly? Ill check again.

How involved is it to remove the Fuel Distributor? THis may be sorted out more easily on my workbench...

Other things to note: When I cold start the engine (with the hose to the AAV disconnected, remember, this is the only way I can cold start my engine), there is a very strong suction at the AAV where the hose normally connects (which is normal, supplemental air going to the Cold Start injector). But whats also happening is there is an equal suction on the hose that should be connecting to the AAV. (the hose goes to the Fuel Distributor). Suction is happening in opposite directions. I know the hose should normally be connected to the AAV, but if it was, wouldnt the opposing suction cancel eachother out?

Just another piece of the puzzle:
    My O2 Sensor is bypassed at the Jetronic! See the below pic, the black jumper on the A-12305, should be to the leads on the O2 sensor I believe. I did see the O2 wires bundled up in the compartment where the Jetronic lives... Worth reconnecting to see if that has anything to do with my AAV hose disconnection issues?