Need some encouragement! | FerrariChat

Need some encouragement!

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, May 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Reading the "What did I do Thread" really hit a chord for me.

A few days ago I got the 328 out of the winter storage garage and, after the appropriate checks, put a bit over 50 miles on it. I found the whole thing, frankly, to be annoying rather than fun. I honestly spent the whole time muttering things like, "what am I doing with this car? It's old, slow, noisy..."etc, etc, etc... :(

I don't know what happened to the guy who bought it in 2008 and, two days after seeing it for the first time/purchasing it, drove it from Vegas to MD in 2.5 days - about 2700 miles - and loved it, especially out west. I'm hoping that guy shows up again...

Maybe I'll regain some of that spark; I hope so. Does anybody else experience this sort of thing periodically or does it mean my Ferrari flame has extinguished?

2. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert

Man is basically not monogamous. Variety is the spice of life. Next ..........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I go through some periods like that... I want a newer Ferrari - with all the power etc..., but in the end I like my 328 because its is a challenge to drive and its not an every day car.

I agree in traffic in Atlanta - its a PITA - the AC ( which for a 328 is good on mine) is not that strong... its not comfortable, and its NOT fast. but once you get out on some open country roads - that is when the fun comes back. making a perfect shift, etc... its a true "sports" car.

And its RARE... vs. anything Ferrari built after 2000. so I'll just be ok with a "vintage" or Classic Ferrari vs. a "Ferrari". best of all I still get to call it "My Ferrari".

4. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    sometimes it happens: don't worry, it's life. And the 3x8 series typical owner is changing: once he was one that got that as it was a cheap but good looking and good running Ferrari, now the typical owner is a car collector (one that likes Ferrari 166 Inter too, for example).

The 328 is one of the best looking Ferrari ever: the 360 (for example) isn't, but it's much faster an much more modern and comfortable, so maybe it's time for a 360 or a 430.

I would keep the 328, but the car is not mine, so it's up to you

ciao

5. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I went through it and went with a 355. No regrets on my end.

6. TacElf

TacElf Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 15, 2010
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Mike,

I would give it a few drives on out-of-the way secondary roads before making any snap decisions. After that, if it still isn't pushing the right buttons anymore perhaps it is time to move on to something else.

For me, I guess I haven't lost the spark: Too much to keep my interest between group/individual drives, wrenching, taking it to shows, and all the other things that go with sports car ownership.

7. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Sadly as one gets exposed to other cars and features of such sometimes the glimmer can fade one these older cars. The beauty remains, but the usability and demands in modern life can reveal its limitations. Sometimes the time and effort to keep and maintain these things can even be an issue, the time, space etc is just one more thing to have to be on top of.

I tired of my 2V 308 many years ago and went up to a 348 which is by no means a modern car, but is more so than the 308. I recently picked up an 85 QV mondi cab as a family fun car and it was a quick flash back to the limitations of a car from the 80's but after a few drives with the top down and the wonderful engine note of a 3 series car the small stuff faded away as did any regret of buying back into that era.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Get another Ferrari, like a 355. Then you will love your 328 every time you drive it.

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    The 3x8 is a wonderfully impractical noisy temperamental EXOTIC. It shifts like a high performance tractor, its impossible to climb into, the steering wheel doesn't adjust, the parking brake doesn't work, you can roast a chicken in the trunk, you can roast a human in the passenger compartment. I love it.

Think about the whole "package" you've bought into. The 328 is a rare exotic car. There are very few in this world and you own one. It is easy to feel blasé about the car, particularly in forums like this or at Ferrari events where everyone has one. How many 328s did you see on your way to work this morning?

It is a cliché, but its not about the car; its about the people. I have had so much fun with the 308 with new friends, partners in home mechanic repair travesties, Cars and Coffee, etc. The home mechanic community around the 3x8 is pretty amazing.

And, the fact is, I have two sports cars. When I am tired of my 308, I take a break from it with my E30 1987 BMW 325i convertible. The E30 BMW is the epitome of German practicality in a sporty package (most people like Porsches for the same reason). I can go about my business quietly in it, the a/c works, the shifter is smooth, the trunk is huge, its easy to work on, and is dead reliable anyway. I love it too, but it's for when I want drama-free transportation.

If I lost my 308, I would be very sad for it. Now after fixing and tuning it for so long, I know its foibles and trust it, it would be very difficult to sell or to replace.

Hold in there.

10. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I've only been on fchat for three years and you've mentioned this before. I don't think any of us are immune. Never say never, lol.

I'm currently in the process of taking my car from a strong 2 to a 1. It's expensive and some might argue, foolish. I've been let down in the process by some reputable people but my joy is still there, I've learned a lot and I'm seeing it through. It's been over a year since I've had my QV so maybe absence really does make the heart grow fonder. I don't know.

I do know we can't take them with us when life's journey ends, so if you've lost that spark, maybe it's time for another caretaker to have a chance to enjoy such a wonderful car.

11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It's funny - I do this with both my E-Type and my 308QV. I start to think about selling one (or both) and getting a modern classic, but then I drive them and I can't bring myself to do it.

Not sure how easy it is for you to get your cars in / out of the garage, but I have a bunch of crap behind both of my cars. It's not super hard, but a pain in the ass, especially since I'm lazy. There are days where I'm saying - "why am I doing this?", but once I drive, I get why I do.

If you are past the 328 - get something different. Nothing wrong with that!

12. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    Your thoughts/feelings were exactly like mine, last year. Was convinced it was time to let #19055 go. Not a bad time to sell her, moneywise, if one would consider the price levels for Vetro cars and the fact I paid quite less 20 years ago. So car to the paintshop, preparing for selling. decision made. After a sale I'd get me a "topless" 360 or 430. Which I liked, wanted, very much, still do.

Then the 308 came back. Imagine how a 308 looks, with a fresh coat of paint, all of the dings/scratches gone. Also gone was the solid decision to sell her. Okay, it's still an old, slow car with an almost impossible driving position. BUT: a real vintage Fcar !! So the "racing" has to be done with the Giulia Super, the comfort, perfect driving position and the raw, brute power experience from my very nicely tuned Alfa 156 GTA. Whenever it's (ever ?) financially possibe a 430 next to her. Or I should get an offer I could not refuse. Probably immediately after a sale, followed by the knowledge that I made a painful mistake, probably tossing me out of the "vintage Ferrari/Vetro ownership era" too.

So think. Think again. Then act.. :)

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    More or less the same from me; when I'm far from the twins (1989 328 GTB and 328 GTS) I have thoughts like: "this is not reasonable, it makes no sense: these cars are really not practical; you should sell now that the market has almost doubled since you bought the cars, so they would pay themselves, all expenses included; these cars are really not comfortable, etc..etc..

It lasts exactly until the moment I turn the key and the engine starts...then it is forgotten.
    Sometimes it stops even when I simply take time to just look at the cars, a glass of wine (or beer) in hand.

But the fact that Mike says that the feeling is still here when he drives may be the sign that it is time for something different. Agree, nothing wrong with that.

Rgds

14. 455Fosbery

455Fosbery Karting

Oct 3, 2013
    Mike,

I seriously hope that you regain "that spark" and that the flame hasn't totally gone out...

I've always considered my 308 as I would a seriously hot Italian mistress. Irrespective of how good looking, she may not be everything you'd like in a constant companion and as such, you may go off her for a bit every now and again.

The caveat here is that I may be somewhat better positioned as I have one of Bob Norwood's turbo conversions... This certainly has kept my lady right up there with the younger girls, so I tend not to fall out with her quite as much...

Hang in there...

John.

P.S. I get the German motor thing (I have a 530xd with 6-speed), but it's a different kind of lady and not quite the same mistress...

15. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Thanks Guys! Really good support and I appreciate it. It's a gorgeous day today, as opposed to the day I took the car out of the garage/drove 50 miles - it was spitting rain occasionally/low overcast, 58F and just generally depressing.

Maybe the blue skies/light breeze/mid 70's will produce a different result! :)

Re the garage - it's a local storage garage so there's nothing behind the car and it's less than a mile from the boat (where we live when we're here in MD).

16. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Hi Mike. I will NEVER sell my 328 GTS but I admit sometimes I think about the lack of comfort, cranky A/C and so on. But this never lasts long...the absolute beauty of this machine, its lines and heritage are compelling. Immodestly, I like the stares and head turns, and the little kids who enthusiastically drag their parents over to see the car close up. Driving it, I feel totally in touch with the road, the wind, and my arms, head, legs and butt connected. I wouldn't drive it down I-95 in July but in about 30 minutes I am taking her out for some exercise on a beautiful Carolina day. We are fortunate to have a 430 spider as well that is a very different yet closely related driving experience. Maybe try some other. later models and see how things compare? Best wishes with whatever you decide...Keith

17. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I all my car my crazy psycho girlfriend. The girlfriend that is super hot, but occasionally steals your wallet and runs up a crazy credit card bill. Just when you get ready to dump her, she comes home, flashes her t$ts to you and you are in love again. Have been through the cycle many times.
    I haven't gone to many Ferrari club events, maybe once a year. But I always run into an older fellow that has moved up from the 308 to 360/430, etc. They always say "I wish I wouldn't have sold it."
    I agree it depends on your storage and ability to have another less dramatic but more reliable car to drive occasionally...but that always helps me come back to the 308.

18. RBV24961

RBV24961 Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Rye, New York

19. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I offer the following as possible encouragement as an insight into my relationship with my car:

A sense of occasion

I wrote that about my 308 (and a carb one at that), which I know is not a 328, so maybe the details are not that relevant. However a 328 isn't modern either so maybe there are other subtle things that you take for granted but don't get with a modern car that can be appreciated.

I suppose you can evaluate old cars two ways:

1. They are old and don't work as well as newer cars
    2. They are old and they don't make cars like that anymore

I know point 1 is true but I choose to focus more on point 2 because it has a sense of occasion that my faster, better handling, more efficient M3 does not possess.

Good luck with your decision
    David

20. dreimer

dreimer Rookie

Sep 2, 2013
    I read once that you know the "spark" is gone when you park your car and don't look back at it as you are walking away.

I have a 1986 328 GTS (new to me - 8 months) and a 1988 911 (long-time owner). Every time I go the store or whatever and park them, as I walk away and am 25-50 meters away, I can't help looking back, smiling, and thinking "that is a cool looking car and I am lucky." Sometimes I purposely try not to turn around because I don't want to appear paranoid or like a nerd, but I still turn around because the view and feeling is worth it.

21. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    I spent a little over a year on the resto-mod of mine. With more than triple the original horsepower it's pretty awesome. No more worry about a VW GTi beating me, I can easily keep up with a newish Corvette C6 in a straight line.

Aaron

22. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    The secret is to buy a slower car then you will appreciate the 328... I bought a 1971 Alfa Spider which I love to drive as often as I can.. Its great as you just jump in and go.. On the other hand my 328 which I have had for over 10 years is more of an ordeal to get going.. But and this is big but... I love the shape, age, design, and just looking at it in my garage.. Its a very special car.

Its a classic Ferrari..

23. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    ever see an old girlfriend much later looking as well as you remember?

get another Ferrari or model [mfgr] you would love ....then comeback later to the 'ol girlfriend' and you absolutely appreciate what's there.

24. offtheworkigo

offtheworkigo Karting

Feb 23, 2016
    Rockwall
    Full Name:
    Dave Hoffer
    My 308 is new to me so its still exciting. I have gotten tried of some of my other cars and motorcycles and sold them. Months and years later I wish I still had them. I like a lot of old things in great shape. I still own my first car I ever bought a 1971 Datsun 240z. Glad I never sold it. In fact I'm still married to my first wife.

25. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Normal.

Remember when you first noticed your wife? That first date? Remember wanting to see her again and hoping she felt the same way?

Now did you feel EXACTLY like that last Monday between 11:30 and 1:15? Not really, but that doesn't mean you don't still love her.