Is anybody here also a series 1 E type owner? | FerrariChat

Is anybody here also a series 1 E type owner?

Discussion in '308/328' started by mike996, May 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I rode in a '65 FHC today and was quite impressed I was just wondering how folks here that own both a 3x8 and a Series 1 E would compare them overall as cars to regularly drive somewhere, NOT just as cars to go to a local car show. I didn't get to drive it and we didn't go far - about 10 miles but I thought it was quite comfortable. It seemed to handle quite well but it wasn't really being pushed at all.

Any thoughts/experiences?

2. wards70

wards70 Karting

Feb 27, 2005
    Coto de Caza, CA
    Full Name:
    Ward Prickett
    #2 wards70, May 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Just an FYI, the dash switches in the E type are the same as the 308 console.

4. R.Robot

R.Robot Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    La Quinta CA.
    Last weekend was a British car show in Van Nuys Ca., its an annual and had a great turn out.

Some wonderful cars from Mini's, Lotus's, Jags and even a Peerless among others were shown.

Have to say a '67 4.2 roadster would be a fantastic car to have just for its sheer beauty. Not sure about the maintenance though,..

Once sorted are Jag's reasonably easy to live with?

Half way through the show Jay Leno showed up in a remarkable open car, looked to be 20' long with 4' tires.

Got to love this guy, once driving next to me with his Steamer he lets the whistle go and later on his Harley just blasting along in Beverly Hills.

He really seems to love all motoring for sure.

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Very close friend has a 65 hard top. Black/red.

I have probably driven it more than he has. I have even taken it back and forth to Atlanta and run it (carefully) on the track.

It gets a lot of attention.

6. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I owned a 66 E coupe years ago and both my bride and I loved the car. As far as I could remember there is a significant difference from that car and my 77 308 GTB. IMHO the ride and handling were much better then the 308 and the acceleration was also better but you had 265HP vs 240HP so I would expect more. The E type was a more refined car while the 308 was more raw. My wife's cousin has a garage queen now and someday he'll pull the cover off and sell it.

7. R.Robot

R.Robot Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    La Quinta CA.
    Is the Jag about the same as maintenance as the 308?

8. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    #8 Saabguy, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016
    I own a Series 1 coupe. it is a very comfortable touring car, lots of leg room and plenty of umpf if you need to go quickly. Only real maintenance is if you let current gasoline stay in the carbs too long (Don't drive it) because it will mess up various seals and you end up rebuilding the carbs. Oh, and adjusting the carbs for the perfect idle but that's more challenge than service.

I REALLY like mine.

9. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I owned a 69 S2 4,2.
    No where close to as needy as the 308. Easy access to everything, just lift the bonnet and everything is right there. It does have leaks and drips as they all do. Ceramic headers are cool, they glow at night. Carbs easy to tune because of ease of access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    I've owned two 66 coupes. One was RHD, one was LHD. Great machines. Frequent but straightforward maintenance (clutch replacement isn't fun). Bulletproof and iconic engine. No worries re cam belts or sodium valves. Prone to rust and pricey to restore well. Sturdy but balky gearbox prior to 1965. Surprisingly compliant ride.

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I was a bit interested after the ride in my friend's but checking prices of decent Series 1's was a definite eye opener of the "holy S%^T!" variety. I had thought about trying to do some sort of trade and I was uninformed enough to think I could get a nice E and some cash for my '89 328. I discovered it would be considerably the other way! :(

However, my wife announced once again that I could not part with the 328; she prefers it to an E type. The fact that the 328 is MY car seems to make no difference at all... ;)

12. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Which is interesting considering there were 38,000 series 1, 19,000 series 2 and 15,000 series 3 that were built. I remain convinced that 3x8s are still grossly undervalued.

13. wolfturbo

wolfturbo Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2005
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Rob W.
    Can any owners advise me on the room in the Jag vs a 308GTB?

I own a lovely 308GTB but I plan on selling it since I don't fit in the damn thing (I'm 6 foot 4).

I'd love to have a properly sorted out Series I roadster, but I don't want to make the same mistake twice. I'd like to see if I fit before I buy one!

Any insights from informed parties would be most appreciated. Best regards to all.

Rob

14. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    S1 E types are also short on head room unless you buy the 2+2.

15. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    #15 mike996, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
    I found my friend's series 1 to have much more room than my 328. Frankly it was more comfortable to me in every way. But I'm not tall - 6' even - so 6'4" might be an issue.

When I told my wife the E was more comfortable, her response was, "Yeah, but the Ferrari is ITALIAN (as is she), it's not supposed to be comfortable, it's just supposed to look good!"

Re prices... there is a 67 open E on Bring a Trailer currently at 75K with nearly 5 days to go. It started at 40k and went to 75 in two days. It is NOT original - replacement engine, resprayed different color from OEM, different tranny (5 speed) and different interior color from OEM. There is an 86 328 that appears completely original and the current bid is only 40K with one day to go.

16. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Was your friend's S1 a 2+2?

17. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    No, it's a FHC. But height/comfort in a car is related to an individual's leg vs trunk length. The PO of my 328 was 6'5 yet he fit (sort of) in the car because he had long legs/short trunk. My friend with the E is around 5'10 and he hits his head driving my 328... go figure! :)

18. pad

pad Formula 3

Sep 30, 2004
    Tequesta, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Delatush
    I own both a 4.2 E-Type roadster and a 328 GTS. My wife and I have put about 40K miles on the E-Type over the last 34 years. We have a luggage rack on the back. I have also owned a Series 1 E coupe, which is more comfortable for long runs, but really requires A/C. Our main objection to the E-Type roadster is the wind buffeting when the top is down. And rain will always find a way in. As such, the 328 is a nicer car for traveling. More comfortable. Please note the we are now "Senior Citizens". Another note: We are going on a long distance sports car rally this fall and will be taking our DB9 coupe. That should tell you something....

As to maintenance, the E-Type is a fraction in cost/ effort over the 328 and I do my own maintenance. I guess if you take your cars to a dealer, you will feel pain either way.

All in all, the 2 cars are very different. I have enjoyed both types for many years. And as of now, I can't see selling either one.

19. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    The bring a trailer E is now up to 79.6K with several days to go and the 328 is still at 40k with less than one day to go.

Clearly, E's, in whatever condition - totally non -original in this case - seem to be worth a lot more than 328's like mine :(

20. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I have a 66 Series 1 4.2 Roadster, and an 85 GTS QV.
    I'm 6'1" and the Jag is a challenge. I removed the driver's visor for visibility, and I simply don't like driving it with the top up. But I guess that goes with the 308, too. Both cars, my hair will "graze" the top and that is annoying.
    The seats are more comfy in the Jag, and plenty of leg room, but it doesn't track/handle nearly as well as the 308 in the corners.
    The most interesting thing, I guess is the cache of the Ferrari. At half the price of my Jag, the Ferrari gets Tons more attention.

Oh, and the Jag is much easier to drive around town--stop and go--than the 308. The 308 is so much happier at speed.

21. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    That E sold for...are you sitting down?... $170k That's right, one hundred and seventy thousand dollars. ;) The 328 sold for 50k - less than I paid for mine in 2008! :(

22. tifosi308

tifosi308 Karting

Jul 1, 2005
    Midwest
    77 GTB and a 64 3.8 OTS

Whenever I drive the E-type I'm always impressed with it's road manners. Very docile with the comfort and refinement of a touring car. Modern traffic is its biggest prohibitor. With stock brakes and cooling system, you have about half the stopping power of modern vehicles and have plan drives around traffic conditions. Hit an unexpected jam and you've got a few minutes minutes of idling before the temperature gauge creeps up toward 110 and you're screwed. It's best suited to back-road Sunday drives.

The 308 feels like a 70's racing car with a thin layer of civility added. The Jag is much more archaic and antiquish by comparison while the 308 largely drives and handles like a modern car, the extra 20+ years of development is very evident. The 308 is firmly planted at all speeds while 60 mph around a gentle curve feels like race day in the XK. Biggest draw backs to the GTB: High noise levels (yea sounds great for the first 30 minutes, then it wears on you). Cabin heat on longer drives. Subpar seats with an unorthodox driving position further fatigue you on extended drives.

Overall, I enjoy driving the 308 more, but it still feels like a toy reserved for weekends/car shows. Reason I adore air-cooled 911's is because they're uniquely special but still soothing to drive and comfortable in all applications.

23. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Nice, and very useful comparison, thanks!

24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Own both a '66 E-Type FHC and '84 308 QV GTS.

Completely different experience, amazing what 20 years did in terms of improvements. E-Type is far more intimate than you might think, but not cramped by any means. Performance is quite good, but you know you are driving a 60's era car. I drove my Dad's / brother's '61 Corvette back to back with the E-Type, huge difference. The Corvette was like a truck compared to the nimble Jag.

But comparing the Jag to the 308 isn't really fair. 308 is like a go kart, so much more fun. The Jag is good for arm-out-the-window driving at moderate speeds. The 308 wants to GO!

Like comparing a Harley to a sport bike. The Jag isn't ponderous like a Harley, it's just not quite as eager as the 308.

I'd say 6 out of 10 times, when I go for a drive, I pick the 308. FWIW.

25. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA
    I will have to disagree with one point here Sir.

Granted my E is no longer totally stock, as I have replaced the radiator and have installed an electric fan but I have no problems in traffic nor with high ambient temps. I drove in a rally around Austin hill country with temps hovering around 100 F a few years back. Without A/C it does take it out of you but it's doable. I have also installed heat shielding EVERYWHERE in the E; floor, firewall, trans tunnel, both inside and out.

But very few stop you and ask about your car... ;-)

Lester