Can we talk about suspension (again)? | FerrariChat

Can we talk about suspension (again)?

Discussion in '308/328' started by MaranelloDave, Jun 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 MaranelloDave, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    Hi all,

I've had my 308 GTS QV for several months now and have been enjoying it around town and in the canyons. A few weeks ago, however, I bottomed out on a tight downhill turn because the suspension is so soft. The car bounced up off the asphalt and the front end got so light that I thought the outer front hub had broken off. It hadn't -- the front end just rebounded so far that there was no weight on the front wheels and the steering wheel was useless at that point.

Anyway, this experience made me realize that, while the car is really pleasant to drive over LA's rough road surfaces, the car is just plain dangerous on spirited canyon drives. So, time to stiffen up the suspension with some coilovers. I don't want the car to drive like a '70s Cadillac anymore, but I also don't want it to be race-car stiff either -- I have other cars with stiff suspensions that I take to the track and they are no fun on the rough roads around here. So, I'm looking for the "Goldilocks" solution.

I have researched the internet and this forum (!) and have seen various solutions described. One of the most popular has been the QA-1 with the "paperweight" extender. I like the idea of not having to cut up the front control arms but I wanted to hear from folks who have these coilovers to see how they like them and how they've held up over time. In addition, I'd love to hear from folks who've tried other coilovers and why.

In addition to hearing about the different brand options, I'd also like to get some advice about spring rates. As I said, the stock suspension is far too soft for me. The last time I drove a car this soft was my mom's Oldsmobile in the '80s. However, I don't want it to be crashy either. So, I'm basically looking for spring rates that provide a taut, sporting feel that is appropriate for canyon carving that, at the same time, is compliant enough to absorb the shocks of uneven road surfaces. Any suggestions?

It seems there are two basic camps on spring rates (at least for the QA-1s): 300/250 front/rear, or 400/350 front rear. Since I'm accustomed to relatively stiff suspension, I'm leaning toward 400/350, but I would like to hear the impressions of folks with this setup. How does this setup deal with uneven road surfaces? I suppose that the relatively high-profile tires you get with 17" wheels provide some inherent compliance, so maybe stiffer is not bad. I'm also wondering how much a difference spring rates make on ride quality vs. shock setting. I read in a thread on this forum that the shock setting has a much greater impact on ride quality than spring rates. Is this true?

Thanks in advance to all who are willing help, and sorry for the long-winded post!

Dave

2. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    The QA1's are a well trodden path - and lots of people on this forum have installed them.

I went for Gaz Shocks. My story is in the thread below and I hope to have the car on the road in the next week or so (bleeding the brakes this evening). If all goes to plan I will put up some more photos that show the final ride height/stance tomorrow. A full impression of the handling is probably a few weeks off.

Ferraridoc in Australia has also gone for the same solution and I think he is quite close to installing them on his car.

From Post 46 onwards:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/504766-front-nose-high-stance-will-new-springs-cure.html

I eventually went for 350/350 - I'm running 16" TRX tyres
    The springs aren't expensive and they are a doddle to swap over. So if I fancy a change it's no big deal.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Unless you try a bunch of packages you are at the mercy of trying to get a grip on someone else's impression. I have been very successful with doing the suspension math, picking a target chassis frequency, adjusting for porposing, and picking empirical spring rates. If those empirical rates match other people's packages of reported good results that jive with the math will make you feel better about being in the right ballpark. Then if you have track cars, you know it is tune tune tune...ride heights, alignment, swaybars, and shocks.

4. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Most of the GTB people running 400/350 are quite happy - compliant ride, etc. I have a GTS and so dropped 50 to 350/300, but, as Andy says, I won't have it in for another month or so. I'll report back on Andy's thread when I do. BTW, your wheels should be 16", unless you're lucky enough to have a set of comp's

5. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Very, very true and probably overlooked by most.
    My changes are very much for cosmetic reasons as I don't consider myself a massively skilled driver. I will be getting the geometry set up by a proper shop but thereafter I will only change stuff if it is blatantly wrong.

Compomotive TS17's! I would sell my soul for a set of them. I'm looking forward to your car being ready - as your opinions on handling etc. will be more worthwhile than mine...

6. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My glass 308 is on 16" wheels and has the QA-1 shocks with 400/350. I wouldn't change them for anything!!

Very compliant and FAR less roll and pitch plus the ride height of my choosing.

Of course, all the standard stuff sits in a box to give the option back to the next owner, as the QA-1 gear fits without any modification. (That goes for all the mods I do)

7. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Look into Intrax. Not the cheapest but they are a quality solution. They have a specific solution for 308's and are used by Makela for their Michelotto tributes.

8. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sounds like several folks are running QA-1s at 400/350 and they are still compliant enough for road driving. I'm thinking I might give that a try. As someone said, I can always change out the springs if I don't like them.

For those who have the QA-1s, how much of a difference is there between the softest and hardest shock settings? I have adjustable coilovers on one of my other cars and, while there is a noticeable difference between softest and hardest settings, it's not night and day different (they're both pretty firm).

9. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Massive difference. Softest rides like a 50s Cadillac (awful and boing boing bouncy) hardest is quite firm.

10. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Roughly how much does the intrax set up cost?

Thank you!
    Spencer

11. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    @$2,400 for a complete set with springs. Plug and play. Not as cheap as QA1 but a much, much higher quality solution. Second to these I would look at Wilburs, also plug and play.

12. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Good to hear that you can tune these to a great extent using the adjustment knob.

What spring rates are you running? I saw a chart from the Unobtanium site last night saying that the 400/350 set up is a "track only" set up. Specifically, they said:

Road/Track: 250/225, 300/250, 350/300, or 375/325

Track Only: 400/350 or 450/400

I'd be surprised if 250/225 would be firm enough for track driving (not that I'm planning on taking this car to the track). Sounds pretty soft for hard cornering at speed.

13. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I'm running 400/350 and find it VERY compliant still. Firmer than standard, but less firm than a standard 996 911, for example

14. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great! I'm accustomed to stiff suspension so hopefully 400/350 will be compliant enough for me. Also, the high-profile tires have to help in this department too.

Going to order the QA-1s with 400/350. I will report back my impressions for anyone who would like to hear them. Thanks to everyone for your input!

15. f14dexter

f14dexter Rookie

May 4, 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Full Name:
    Gus
    FWIW, just another data point. I have QA-1s with 375/325 on my '85 QV, and love the setup. Definitely a tighter feel than my previous original '82 suspension, but I don't find the springs and an aggressive shock setting at all too firm for daily driving. By comparison, my '85 911 rode like a covered wagon. Personally, I wouldn't feel the need to go any softer than 375/325.

16. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great. Parts ordered. Can't wait to get these on the car.

17. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Got all the parts yesterday! I originally thought I'd just give them to a local shop and let them do the swap, but now I'm thinking I may do the installation myself. I'm not an expert mechanic, but I'm pretty good with my hands and have done other minor car projects, like installing new brakes, etc.

I have a few questions about the install for our resident experts:

1. I don't currently have a press to switch out the QA1 bushings with the Unobtanium bushings. I'm fine with buying a bushing press for this purpose, but I'm not sure which would work best. Any suggestions? It'd be great if I could just order a press from Amazon or another online seller.

2. I know you need to compress the front springs to get the spring cap and "paperweight" upper eyes on the front coilovers. I will try to find a shop that can do this for me. I am wondering, however, do I need to compress the stock springs to get the old suspension off the car? Also, do I need to compress the QA1 springs to get the coilovers on the car?

3. Finally, I bought QA1 bump stops too. They consist of a rubber stop and a flat washer. Am I correct that the washer goes between the upper eye lock nut and the rubber stop at the top of the piston shaft? I ask because the rubber stop has a bore that looks like it could accommodate the lock nut so I'm not sure if the flat washer is actually necessary.

Thanks!

18. etip

etip Formula 3

Apr 4, 2004
    Washington State
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I have QA1 with 350/400# on my gtsi. Not too stiff at all. Running with all poly bushings and uprated says bars. 16" HRE's.
    Car is great to drive on the street....

Also as an aside, the QA1 set up is much lighter than the factory shocks/springs

19. sltillim

sltillim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 22, 2009
    San Diego
    Spring compressors are pretty inexpensive. Just make sure you get the locking type.

20. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    #20 waymar, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    So a spring compressor is required to remove the old springs, to install the new coilovers, or both?

I'm not concerned about the cost. I am concerned about safety though.

22. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David

A compressor is not required to remove the stock coil overs.

Only if you want to remove the springs from the Konis which I figure you don't.

Don't know about the QA1s

23. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Okay, great. Didn't realize the stock springs were mounted on the stock shocks. I assumed they were independent. Thanks.

24. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    The lower perch is held against a couple of half rings under compression from the spring. They can be safely removed as one unit.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Great! Thanks for the pic. I just need someone to help me with installing the spring caps on the front QA1s (need to compress the springs to do this and I'd rather have someone else do it) and I should be all set.