308/328 Coolant Flush: Essential Upgrades | FerrariChat

308/328 Coolant Flush: Essential Upgrades

Discussion in '308/328' started by obertRo, Aug 16, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #1 obertRo, Aug 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I hope this will help a lot of fellow 308/328 owners!
    I did my first coolant change in the 308 recently, and with help from Fchat, and especially Ettore P (SeattleM5) I learned of some ESSENTIAL upgrades, that I have made for myself, and for anyone else that wants them.

The first is an Engine Block Coolant Petcock.

Instead of fumbling with the factory plug, and holding a funnel to catch what I can, I can now drain my engine coolant with Ease and not spill a drop!
    I have made this Kit consisting of a Threaded Bushing, Crush Washer, Petcock and Hose. The photos pretty much tell the story. This was Ettore’s genius. I make these up for $40 plus $5 shipping for anyone that wants them.

The second is a Front Coolant Drain Valve.

I tried to buy the DHelms drain piece I read about, and as referenced on eBay for $26 plus $25 shipping from Australia, but that auction was dead and I could only find this after much hassle from Ricambi for $88 plus shipping! Maybe that price isn’t as steep as I initially thought, but I felt I could do it myself for much less, and use a different petcock that doesn’t spray. So I made another Kit consisting of a Threaded Brass “T” with Petcock and Hose (not pictured), plus Clamps. Installs super easy once you have drained your coolant the regular way. I literally got a mouth full of coolant when I pulled off my lower hose, but Never again. Now draining the coolant from this lowest point is Cake! I have made a handful of these Kits for $55 plus $5 shipping for anyone on Fchat that wants them.

After working just on British cars since I was a teenager, this Ferrari stuff is pretty fun :)

Robert
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    ]m sure but might as well ask, will both kits work size wise on a 308 gt4?

3. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Mike, I've had my 308GTS QV for about a year and a half, so I'm pretty new to this Ferrari stuff. I'm pretty sure the 308GT4 is the same in these areas, but hopefully someone else knows for sure and will chime in!

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    ok lets see what happens. do you know the od of the t for the hoses?

5. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Stupid question,

Does the kit include both front and back?

6. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Nevermind, 95 for both, right?

7. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yep!

8. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Something about those petcocks scare me. I have one on my radiator. It has never been a problem (about two years now) but still.

9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Yeah, draining coolant usually makes a big mess. I had the radiator on my Euro QV boiled out and resealed two years ago, had them add a petcock at the bottom left hand side, there's actually a stamping on the radiator for such an item. Added a small 6" hose. No issues and simple servicing moving forward.

10. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Sorry for the delay. Yes, the Hose measures approximately 7/8 inches OD, and about 5/8 ID.

11. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    #11 SeattleM5, Aug 17, 2016
    Nice work Robert, very cool that you are making these for other members! I originally came up with the idea to put a petcock drain in the block after putting one of Dave Helm's SRI drains at the heater hose position to drain the system up front. It was so nice not splashing coolant all over the floor (and in my face!). My block drain was made using the original plug. I've had it in-service on my car now for two years without any problems.

If you look at the parts diagrams for the earlier cars there actually was a petcock drain on the block in this position (Ferrari part# 103948). This was on the 246 Dino, 308 GT4, 308 GTB/GTS, 308 GTBi/GTSi, Mondial 8. Some where along the production run of the 308/Mondial QV it was switched to a standard plug (Ferrari part# 10300640). The diameter/thread pitch on both the original petcock drain and the plug is M14 x 1.5. The original petcock drain (103948) appears to be NLA but even if it was I'd go with Robert's product as you can attach a hose to the spout of the petcock drain which is not an option with the original.

Photos below of the petcock drains on my car. 1st-the SRI product at the front position to drain the radiator/heater hoses (note no spout to connect tubing), 2nd-4th- my custom made job which Robert's product is based on.

12. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    Great idea.... Looks very close to a mopar / jeep petcock. J3166547

13. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    How long does it take to drain the two plugs ?

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I know I can source this on my own but I may just pay your convenience fee and be done with it.

Just tear open the package and go to work on the car.

15. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I can't say exactly, but the fluid flows pretty well from the petcock--and it sure beats the GUSH without it!

16. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #16 obertRo, Aug 17, 2016
    Yes, that's the idea! :)
    I would have just bought these Kits myself if they were "ready to go" as I have them here.

I spent several weeks finding just the right and best raw parts from the various unrelated suppliers (some of these parts were not so great once bought and in hand!) I think I ordered and evaluated almost Ten different Bushings for the block.

And it's not just sourcing and waiting for the materials, as I still have to modify the T and tap the tapered thread in both the brass parts here in my shop. Ettore saw one of my early, not-so-great soldered prototypes. I spent a good amount of time with a lot of different parts and a few different designs and this is all done for you now :)

Heck, you could buy a half dozen of these Kits just for one root canal Dr. T ;)

17. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Thanks for the kind words, Ettore! I didn't know about Ferrari having drains on earlier cars. They must have been cutting costs :/

Your retrofit design is the perfect remedy, though. Everyone should know I proposed calling this "The Palazzo Coolant Drain Kit" but you were too modest to accept!

18. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    Less than 10 minutes to drain the radiator/heater hoses, less than 5 min to drain the block.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

19. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    I can't take credit for Professor Helms' idea and Ferrari already had the block drain faucet idea, I just brought it back. Thanks for the plug though!

20. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #20 obertRo, Aug 18, 2016
    I'm shipping a few of these Kits today to fellow Fchatters. Installation is pretty obvious, but here are a few photos of when I installed mine for good measure!

Engine Kit: After draining the coolant, the Block Bushing and Petcock install easy as pie.

Hose Kit: Also after draining the coolant, I reattached the Bottom Hose, put chalk marks where I wanted my Drain to be, and simply cut that section of hose out with a razor knife. (The knife is black--hard to see).

21. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy

Which of these parts in the kit have you soldered?

22. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Is that blue antifreeze? Please tell me about it.

23. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    An early design required soldering the petcock to a pipe. The final design is more robust and does not require this!

24. obertRo

obertRo Formula Junior
    Owner

Dec 20, 2014
    Holland, Michigan
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I use regular green coolant. Ettore's does indeed appear blue...

25. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    That's my car with the blue coolant. It's BMW brand.