2V valves group buy (non-sodium!!) | FerrariChat

2V valves group buy (non-sodium!!)

Discussion in '308/328' started by derekw, Sep 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Hi all, I will be ordering a batch of exhaust and inlet valves for the 2V cars. The sodium filled valves (106553) are also found in the 246, 365 and 512. These new exhaust valves will be 23-8N stainless with 12H stellite tips/seats and tufftrided stems. The inlets will be 21-4N with stellite tips/seats and tufftrided stems. We could also get a Titanium nitride coating for a few bucks more but it's probably overkill. Dimensions will be the same as original.

The price will be $10-15 depending on how many I order. They will be made in China by a company which already supplies several OEMs in Europe. Send me a pm if you want some.

My 58,000km 1979 308 valves had about 0.005mm (almost 2 thou) wear on the stems and a noticeable wiggle (about 1mm) when in the guides. I might also get some harder manganese bronze guides made.

cheers, derek

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
  3. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Bonjour Claude, One set of 8 valves? Guides too? It's ok if you just want the exhaust valves. The original inlet valves don't break and should be ok unless you have higher mileage (mine were borderline at 58k km but maybe the oil wasn't changed regularly or the wrong fuel or oil were used.)

4. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Do you have more detailed informations about that chinese company? Especially regarding which european OEM-manufacturers they serve?

Best Regards
    Martin

5. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    I'd be interested in buying a set (inlet and exhaust)

6. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Martin, Yes I do but the MOQ is quite high so I am probably going to be selling about half of the valves on ebay for a bit more to cover my costs/risk. I don't want others ordering as I'll be stuck with boxes of valves I can't sell or have to sell for much less. I'm not taking any money from Fchatters until I have the valves in hand and have tested a few at the local university.

I did the same thing a few years ago with uprated fulcrum pins for Sunbeam Tigers-- got some for my car, sold a few sets (saved a few lives) and made enough extra to cover my time. If you are in a hurry or risk averse, the prices at the usual places are very reasonable considering their overheads, inventory etc.

7. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I think 8 exhaust will do the job. They may even have been replaced in the past but I don't know. I haven't removed them yet.

8. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    I would like a set of intake and exhaust valves. Add me to the list please.

9. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    I have 7 sets ordered and will put in the order if I get 3 more takers.

I have decided to line my valve guides rather than press them out and risk damaging the heads (and then needing oversize guides.) The modern phosphor or manganese bronze guide liners are much harder than the original guides and easy to fit and size accurately. Does anyone have a K-line 8mm set they want to sell or rent me :)

10. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    So, total price for a complete set for my 2V 1981 GTSi, including shipping, would be?

11. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    16 valves x $15 = 240 +30 shipping= US$260 total for US or Canada. You'll only pay once I have them ready to ship (in 6-8 weeks)

12. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David

Sounds good. Thanks Derek.

13. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Last call. I still need 3 more sets. If I don't have enough interest in the next two weeks I'll just get some from Ferrea or SI valves. cheers, derek

14. 3px19

3px19 Karting

Aug 29, 2006
    pm sent about valves
    Cal

15. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Just saw this thread...

I'd be interested if this is still happening...

Henry

16. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Henry, let me know by pm how many you want. cheers, derek

17. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    I'd like a full set (8 intake, 8 exhaust, and guides too).

How much would that be?

I'm living on borrowed time...I have a '78 with 114k miles and have had it for 23 years.

18. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    sure wish they were made in italy.......

19. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #19 Albert-LP, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    We have valve manufacturers here in Italy too...

20. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  21. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    $260 delivered. I wouldn't even start the car with that mileage and sodium valves! Are you sure it has never been rebuilt? Try to find out if you can. At that mileage the original guides will be very loose and bores beyond the 0,1mm clearance. A leak-down test should indicate the condition but you're probably looking at a rebore, new pistons, bearings, valves, valve guides (or better still guide liners), new seals, drill the blind hole that causes the synchro wear... a slippery slope but one you have to go down (unless you sell the car and buy a recently rebuilt or a QV.)

22. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Last call for the valves group buy. The cost is $15ea plus post. I'l post US orders from NY. I will be stuck with a few extra sets but will flog them on ebay for market price.
    cheers, derek

23. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    I am up for both sides and guides if you do them.

24. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    John, I have you down for a full set. I will not get guides made as I will buy an 8mm liner installation kit and line my old guides as I think this is a better option. If you send your heads to Ogdensburg or Ottawa I can line your guides. If you want new guides contact Lee at SI valves for good material, USA-made guides for a very good price and viton seals for 60 cents (when did you last hear a price in cents for a part?)

25. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Is there still time to order? Full set.