308GT4 Storage Find | FerrariChat

308GT4 Storage Find

Discussion in '308/328' started by Noah_AMF, Sep 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Noah_AMF

Noah_AMF Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    Chicago suburbs
    Full Name:
    Noah
    #1 Noah_AMF, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gentlemen,

I've been on the hunt for a 308GT4 Euro spec or a 208GT4 as a project car to bring back to life and a friend of mine recently connected me with a guy who he said had a 1975 GT4 that's been sitting in storage since 1997.

I called the guy up and we had a very pleasant conversation about the car. He told me it was red over tan with the chassis number #09606.

Upon hearing that chassis number I told him that it was most likely a late 1974 production and confirmed that when checking the GT4 registry. I had my fingers crossed that 09606 was a Euro spec since most of the chassis numbers before and after it looked to be Euro cars up on the registry. Alas, once I got the pictures of 09606 it was clear it was a US spec car. The car still wears it Dino badge up front but the Prancing Horse on the steering wheel and hubcaps. Most of the car is "all there" but will require a lot of work and $$$ to get it running.

I hoping that my fellow GT4 brethren and Fchatters can provide some insightful feedback based on the pics and/or help me out with any history they may know about this car.

Here's The Good, The Bad and The Ugly that I noted while inspecting 09606:

The Good:

#1 For a car that's been sitting almost 20 years the interior is in pretty nice shape. Needs some TLC but no major rips or tears in the upholstery. The gauges are in nice shape and it comes with a bonus CB radio...OK..that part isn't so good ;)

#2 Only 34,000 miles

#3 It's got tiny rear seat headrests which actually help with visibility. I haven't seen these before or maybe they were on earlier GT4s?

#4 The early Cromodora 14" wheels are in nice shape with all 4 dog saucer hubcaps which have the prancing horse badge although these look like poor reproductions to badges to me. The spare is present and the tires are period correct Michelins that while holding air are completely hardened and no good.

#5 It's got the tool and jack bags although 2 of the screw drivers are missing and the the bulb/spark plug kit is missing from the jack bag.

#6 Original trunk carpet that's in pretty decent shape.

#7 Has the correct Corello wiper arms and wipers but they are painted black. I thought only 208Gt4s had black wiper arms and wipers?

#8 The car feels pretty sold and the doors close tightly with a nice "thud" and line up well.

#9 Looks to have a period correct Blaupunkt radio.

#10 Still has the rear diaper under the rear bumper but I can't tell if this is from a GT4 or another model?

The Bad

#1 The car has been sitting for 19 years. The engine isn't frozen but it's really gunked up and most likely going to require significant work and $$$ to get it running. We avoided starting the car up but the motor "turns."

#2 My opinion is that this car has been in an accident at some point in it's life. The dimples around the inner rear wheel wells are only visible on the right edge of the right side wheel well. The other half of the rear right side is filled in with bondo. The entire left side inner edge has also been covered over with bondo.

#2 The rear window is not original and does not have the defrost. My theory is that when this car was damaged the rear glass broke and this is just replacement glass. I could not find the glass mark (french I think?) on the rear window anywhere.

#4 The upper frame appears to be dented/bent on the left side under the air intake scoop and probably a result of the damage it sustained. The car looks pretty straight but it was no doubt in a wreck at some point in it's life.

#5 The exhaust/muffler doesn't look right to me...not Ansa. The exhaust tips are teh right shape but a bit to big in diameter and the muffler is square vs. oblong shape.

#6 There is a strange cover over the manifolds with long bolts and push down tighteners and a wire to keep it in place. Anyone know what his is or if it was something that came on the '74s? My '75 308GT4 does not have this cover over the manifolds.

#7 Most of the hoses and lines are all rotting and crumbling. The underside of the car is in bad shape and I'm betting the suspension is shot.

#8 No history, no manual, no manual pouch. Best estimate is this is a 2-owner car.

The Ugly

#1 The car has been repainted and there's overspray everywhere.. Probably from when it was damaged. I was told that the care was originally green but I can't find any info on this and I looked all over the car for evidence of green or another color but couldn't find anything to indicate that. While the paint is decent in most places there are some rough spots but a good buffing and detailing would go a long way.

#2 They cut the "Dino308GT4" badge down to just "308GT4" and stuck that to the right of the license plate. Where that badging should be is a "Ferrari" badge.

#3 The prancing horse to the left of the license plate is not present.

#4 The mirrors are real gems! Maybe from a 308 or 328?...hideous!!!

#5 Aftermarket fog lights have been installed up front which are ungainly.

Let the slander begin! :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Noah_AMF

Noah_AMF Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    Chicago suburbs
    Full Name:
    Noah
    #2 Noah_AMF, Sep 10, 2016
  3. Noah_AMF

Noah_AMF Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    Chicago suburbs
    Full Name:
    Noah
  4. Noah_AMF

Noah_AMF Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    Chicago suburbs
    Full Name:
    Noah
    #6 Noah_AMF, Sep 10, 2016
  5. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    #7 jimgolf1, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Did you buy it? At least it has the smaller US bumpers. That is the correct exhaust diaper, not sure about the exhaust. I think it looks like some of the interior has been replaced. Having the small round access cover still on the front truck inside plastic piece is nice. Most of them seem to be missing.

I bought one a few years ago that was sitting for 25 years in somewhat similar condition without as much bad and ugly. It cost me around $30k so far to get it mechanically back to perfect. My paint is in good condition so I can't justify paying another $20-30k to paint it back to the original green. I didn't have any major problems and the engine didn't need to be rebuilt. Only 25k miles but I still worry a little about the sodium valves. Only thing I'm missing is the owners pouch.

My guess is this car will cost more than its current worth to get back to it proper condition. If you can get it cheap enough it will be a fun project.

6. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    I'm pretty sure the door mirrors are just generic after-market mirrors and not 308/328 mirrors.

The exhausts look to be sticking out the rear end too far, and basically just don't look right - Definitely non-original replacements I'd say.

As for the after-market fog-lights (or more likely driving lights): Adding them was all the rage in the 70's and Cibie's were the ones to have!

7. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Looks like a worthy project if you can buy at the right price - not likely in today's GT4 market.

8. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Agree. I noticed that it has the upgraded air conditioning unit under the dash. I bet those rear headrests were a custom job. Never seen any like that, but seems like a great idea.

9. lagunacc

lagunacc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 24, 2013
    Those are not the Ferrari A/C vents.

Mirrors are Vitaloni Tornado painted.

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Wow! I remember those 23 channel CB radio.

11. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I believe they are the ones that were installed in cars that were retrofitted as part of the technical service bulletin.

12. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I would walk away from this one. It needs everything, exterior, interior and mechanical. This one will come with some serious bills to pay.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

13. badges2

badges2 Formula 3

Nov 6, 2008
    Geneva, IL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    This probably does not help much (as I just stumbled onto this thread), but your pics are taken at the shop where I have my car serviced. Not sure if he's selling it, but the owner is very honest and helpful. He's been in business going on 40 years. Again, I'm just commenting on where the car is located in your pics.

I know he's selling his 328 which is in his showroom right now.

14. Noah_AMF

Noah_AMF Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    Chicago suburbs
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Thanks you everyone for the feedback!

I put an offer in on the car and am waiting to hear back from the seller. The shop where it's at is not selling the car but I appreciate the insight as it was brought out of storage and taken there to check out it's condition.

If the seller accepts my offer then great but I'm really looking for a Euro spec project.

Please keep the comments coming. Anyone know what that cover is over the manifold?

15. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    I believe the aluminum shield around the manifold is part of the USA emissions. To help keep heat in the exhaust. Both manifolds and part of the original exhaust have it on my USA 1975 GT4. I think a lot of them probably got cut off over the years.

16. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Looks like a nice $15,000.00 car.

17. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Careful as I believe there is asbestos attached to the shield

18. jimgolf1

jimgolf1 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2013
    Reno, NV
    Full Name:
    Jim Small
    I agree. And remember the GT4 market of buyers is very small so they aren't easy to flip. Just look at how long BHCC has been sitting on a few of them. If someone restores this car it would be a labor of love. I think a good driver restoration would be $60-$70k. If you go for a proper restoration I would say closer to $100k. Plus the cost of the car. If you have your own shop or can do most of the labor it will seem like less until you factor in the value of your time. I think Albert's recent project is a good example and he started with a nice car.

19. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    I think it is ceramic wool, but treat it as if it asbestos because it isn't exactly unlikely.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yes, heat shields...

That car has the original VALVE caps on the tires!!

True it has the Horse Updates which dealers did, in period to sell this ugly duckling.
    At least they did not butcher the hood. Modern Dino repros would turn that clock back easily.

I know every one says "OMG, rust!" but that car looks very nice, given age....

Fresh belts, hoses and devarnishing the carbs might well see a running car. Do the brakes too!

Signed,
    Eternal Optimist

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Leave it alone, until you are going to pull them both an coat them, not exactly an easy job!!!

My wager is it IS asbestos.
    Its been discussed before.

Most of mine is long burned out, and the metal rattles and melts....

FRAM filter is a big no-no, also discussed ad naseum, here....UFI or Baldwin, no equal.

22. GrayTA

GrayTA F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Deep South
    Full Name:
    PDG
    Looks like it could be quite salvageable to me, but I am no GT4 expert.

PDG

23. Noah_AMF

Noah_AMF Karting

Nov 9, 2013
    Chicago suburbs
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Thanks for all of the great feedback and info! I'm most appreciative and apologies for the intermittent posts as I'm on a brutal travel schedule. This is all very helpful.

I did find out that the car did go off the road into a cornfield at some point in it's life and that is most likely the where the damage stems from.

I keep getting more bits and pieces of info about the car as I work with the seller. To be continued.