Dismantling CV Joints - do I simply need a bigger hammer? | FerrariChat

Dismantling CV Joints - do I simply need a bigger hammer?

Discussion in '308/328' started by Andy 308GTB, Dec 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    #1 Andy 308GTB, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have extracted my half (drive) shafts and since I am replacing the rubber gaiters (boots), whilst I am here it makes sense to clean and repack the CV Joints.
    To do this I need to remove, what Superformance refer to as, the CV Boot Mounting Plate.
    (Mine has been modified into a non-round shape for top secret performance reasons - it would take many pages of technical data and some really hard sums to explain this to you)

How does this mounting plate come off, I'm guessing it simply presses on - I can't see any fixings or any reason as to why it would need to be fixed in position, for that matter.
    Is it simply a case of tapping evenly around the edge until it starts to move? I gave this a half hearted go without success and thought I'd ask here to prevent any silly mistakes.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Just an interference fit.

Be cautious reinstalling the shafts or you new plates will end up looking like your old ones. The damage can really only happen during removal or installation.

3. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    One of mine looked like that. I took it to a good old fashioned blacksmith with a decent anvil & collection of metal working hammers & he straightened it up in about 2 minutes :)

(I'd be hitting that with a rubber mallet at an angle working round it to get it off)

4. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Thanks chaps - that will keep me occupied this evening.

5. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Just tap the lip of the flange with some stiff platic acting as a drift moving round the flange, fairly easy to straighten once off.

6. wildcat326

wildcat326 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 10, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Or grab a plastic/rubber mallet and carefully tap. It's pretty malleable around that collar. Be gentle and it'll go back into place. The joint comes apart if you rotate it "just so." Keep playing with it and it'll disassemble itself. Pay close attention to the orientation of the parts coming out and going back in. Birdman has a pretty perfect step by step illustrated description on his web site. I'm a complete novice and used his tutorial to do mine in an afternoon.

Il Steeg likes this.
  7. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    One more thing - there is conflicting information between different workshop manuals about how much grease to use in each joint. Can't remember the exact figures, I think one book says 140g, & another 100g - whatever the numbers, go with the lower amount.

8. Andy 308GTB

Andy 308GTB F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Jun 2, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Andy M
    Thanks Iain - the WSM states 140g but the kit that Birdman uses in his tutorial comes with 100g. I will follow your advice.

9. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Why 'lower #/amount ?'

10. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    #10 Brian Harper, Dec 3, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    I put the joint in a vise with the boot base resting on the top of the vise and the joint was between the jaws, no real pressure. I then tapped the joint downward out of the plate.

The deformation are so common that I think the factory did it as part of installing the engine. Failure to properly preserve these dents should be concorse points off. And probably you would need to recreate them for Classiche if you made them round again. Wobbly is factory correct, I believe.

11. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    #11 Iain, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    Because (according to what I was able to find out at the time) 100g is the correct amount. Its almost impossible to get 140g in there without basically filling the boot with the stuff.

First time I did it I persevered & managed to get 140g in but it was a hell of a struggle.

Then I read about the conflicting information & 100g being the correct amount - so I took them apart & did it again with 100g - it was somewhat easier (but there is still plenty in there).

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The way they were assembled it would have been near impossible for them to do it. I have never seen an original car with bent boot flanges.