Avorio Safari paint chip please | FerrariChat

Avorio Safari paint chip please

Discussion in '308/328' started by absostone, Dec 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Can someone borrow , scan, rent or whatever me a salchi Avorio 20-y-546 chip. Please help Mike

2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
  3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  5. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
    Gotcha.

Try "The Oracle" #10766 rumor has it he has the chips but had a bad experience lending them out. Also when I saw #11198 at auction it had original (chipping paint) perhaps the owner will send you a chip?

Will you be going "single stage" or base + clear?

6. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thx Base clear I'm sure. But I gotta find the color first. Explain bad experience please

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I have no idea how to find the oracle

8. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
  9. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
  10. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Well the Chips from Maranello Literature would be the cheapest on the market if it's still too costly to you. They are expensive items.

How about this as another alternative?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/162136455037

11. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Wow that is incredible in itself that it actually has the name and the code !! Not that I would paint the car with it but I may be able to spray it out and if it looks ok we can scan it. That's cool! You have to understand that you can look up Rossi corsa all day but not Avorio freakn cool. Thanks.

12. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

You might want Martin or Markus or other guys from Germany to check the description first ;)

13. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Probably right. I checked the web site and its a Detomaso color from 84-87. That cant be correct could it? I checked under Ferrari there is no Avorio as usual. What the H!

14. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

The information could be incorrect in one way or another. Only when you're out of options, it's worth a try.

15. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Yes its worth a try. Also was thinking maybe they cant use the Ferrari name? I don't know. was reading on ebay they don't ship to Usa. Damn

16. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

Possibly due to aerosol content, which is dangerous goods...

17. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Agreed and thank you really. That's the best lead I got in 15 yrs. I do have family in Switzerland, maybe they can get it spray on a small metal piece like 4x6 inches and mail? What a pain, Maybe I should get into Hondas or something

18. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Sammyb's avorio GT4 is in the pacific NW. Could you perhaps work something out with him... fly in take him to dinner, take his GT4 to get the paint scanned?

19. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, seems they ship all over Europe, so should you need my services, I can do it: buy the can, have it shipped at home, then spray the color on some piece of whatever material you want me to use, and sent that sample to you.
    But it may take some time, as the post is usually slow around X-mas. Three weeks all included from the order to the parcel arriving at your door wouldn't surprise me.

Rgds

20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Sorry didn't see your post. Sam and I have emailed in the past year about misc things. We chatted yesterday and the car has not run in like 16 months due to a Petronix issue. His car has been respray rd and he says it's very close to original where it is chipped. I suggested removing the door hinge cover plate cause I would think it probably wasn't resprayed. And if it was at least it's a start. I feel bAd asking anyone to do this sort of thing cause I know people are busy. Flying in sounds like a cool adventure but that won't happen. I just need a starting point with this paint. I do not want to strip the entire car unless I have a good color to use.

21. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
  22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thank you Dave. I pm'd him. He has some great photos of fcars on Imgrum. Wow

23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Thx very kind.I'm not sure what to do here. The financial faucet keeps running on this project. Car is at the body shop ready to be stripped by 2nd week of Jan. They thought they had the chip but they don't. So they said '' we can figure it out''. Well I know that means I can pay them to figure it out. Well if I don't have the correct color I will have done this all for nothing Cause I will have them blend in Argento to all the new areas on the car. I put a NOS quarter panel and a Rust free door from Arizona. And I had 11k in engine stuff done from carbs/ valves endless seals, belts, drop gear bearings you name it. I cant believe on this forum not one person has this chip to borrow me. Others have replied to just buy it. When a fchatter asks for a tool to borrow should we tell them to buy it if we have it?

24. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Perhaps more people have ring tools that are easily purchased and relatively cheap to buy than rare original color chips?