82 308 GTSi father/sons project | FerrariChat

82 308 GTSi father/sons project

Discussion in '308/328' started by buzzdoc, Dec 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buzzdoc

buzzdoc Karting

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #1 buzzdoc, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I first mentioned this project in the General Ferrari Discussion "How old were you when you bought your first Ferrari" forum. Several members asked that I start new thread, so here goes-

The idea began as for years I have wanted a project car for my boys and me to work on. I learned on old Jeeps and trucks with my dad, and I don't want my kids to grow up not knowing how to turn a wrench and work on an automobile. Our modern cars just don't allow for much beyond routine maintenance with oil, brakes, etc. We have talked about CJ-era Jeeps, '67-'69 Mustangs, C2 Corvettes, MGA's, Morgan's, etc., but when I researched and realized that a 308 was a reasonable car to work on myself, I was all in.

I lucked upon a great fellow F-chat'er and was able to buy a 1982 308 GTSi that he put a boat load of work into. It does still need a little love, but it will be a perfect rolling restoration project. The car was delivered the weekend before Thanksgiving and has been hiding in my shop since. We hid it from the kids until this morning. Now that they know about it, we can get to work!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I have an '81.

My son started helping around age 11.

Good on you and yours !!!!! :)

3. buzzdoc

buzzdoc Karting

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Our first steps will be to put my Quickjack together, fab Birdman-type fuse blocks (since he's not taking orders at the moment), and run some tests on the fuel system. We will be replacing the fuel lines that weren't previously changed before we get very far as well.

I'll do my best to update as we go. It will be a good place for me to keep things in order for my reference later as well.

Wish us luck!

4. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Just look how happy the kids are, I remember the day I pulled onto my home drive and the kids came rushing out with exactly the same expressions, priceless:)
    Congrats

5. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Very cool!!! Lucky boys!

6. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    You sir, have won Christmas!

Enjoy!

7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Just came across this thread. That first picture is priceless! Haha! Well done sir! :)

8. fernandel

fernandel Rookie

Feb 13, 2011
    a special merry Christmas ! well done

9. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    All I see are the sons, where is the Father?:)

10. buzzdoc

buzzdoc Karting

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Standing in his proper place behind the camera with a ****-eating grin

11. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
  12. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
    That is awesome! Congrats and enjoy with the kiddos! :D

13. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    If all the 'plastic' fuel injection lines are OEM (30+ yrs old), my strong suggestion is to CHANGE Them.

Get hold of Verell on this site for a kit for your car. NO Affiliation.

All the other fuel and oil and water lines too if not done by the privous owner.

'Good Luck!!!!' My son had the same look. :)

14. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Looks like someone already freshened up the interior for you. Looks good from here

15. buzzdoc

buzzdoc Karting

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Michael

Interior is brand new and looks stunning. We'll replace the fuel lines that weren't recently replaced as well as change the timing belts. The previous owner had the injection system rebuilt, so that'll need to be put on as well. I'll send all 4 calipers to Utah to be rebuilt, then we'll be ready to go for a ride!

16. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I hope Santa brought you the Magnum PI series so the kids get the full magic of the car :)

17. buzzdoc

buzzdoc Karting

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    We fabricated and installed a set of birdman-style fuse blocks. Looks good (and works) so far. My 11 year-old was a huge help making the fuse blocks. I also ordered a set of fuse blocks from the man himself now that he's back in the game just in case. My originals actually look very good. I'll put them up for safe keeping.

The next step is to put the rebuilt injector system on and tackle the rest of the fuel system. We may as well replace the injectors while we're at it, so I ordered a set of those from Amazon. Also ordered a barb tool, injector puller, and a few other things from Verrell to make the job a little easier. The PO sent a set of Verrell's fuel lines with the car, so we'll get those done too.

Hardest part of this so far is doing it one job at a time. Since my kids are out for Christmas, all they want to do is work on the car. They don't like that dad has to go to work.

Can't wait for the next set of packages to arrive so we can get to work again.

18. buzzdoc

buzzdoc Karting

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #18 buzzdoc, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We've spent the last month waiting on parts, realizing I hadn't ordered everything we need, and waiting on parts again. We've piddled with little things over that period of time, but nothing too exciting.

We now have enough stock to get going again. We made all new fuel lines from Unobtanium's braided lines. I was a bit skeptical about the no-crimp sleeves for the fuel lines, but they really do the trick. Now we need to put it all back on the car.

We also replaced the fuel injectors. I expected it to be a royal pain, but it actually went quite smoothly even though 2 of my injectors were braised to the bushings.

We also put new glass in the clock as the original lens was quite cloudy. The clock worked, but I could not change the time. We took the clock apart and found that the small gear that allows you to set the time was worn out so that the gear would spin freely on the set post. I took the gear to several local jewelers, but no one had a source for a similar gear. I also could not find an exact match on the internet. I found an instrument cluster from a Fiat 124 that included the clock for $80. The Fiat clock is nearly identical- the font on the clock face is different and the set knob has a different shape. The Fiat clock actually worked, too. I was able to cannibalize the entire set post including the set gear to get my original clock back in working order. The new glass looks spectacular, too.

19. buzzdoc

buzzdoc Karting

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Wow. It's been a day or two since I added to the list of things we've done to the car. We have all of the fuel lines replaced now as well as the coolant lines. The short line from the water pump housing to the union under the plenum was no fun at all to get on. My big hands just don't fit in that tight little spot very well. I sheared off the nipple on the union while trying to replace it with the Hill Engineering stainless one. Thankfully drilling it most of the way out and re-tapping worked well and wasn't too big of a PITA.

My calipers came back from PMB this week. Wow. They look incredible.

[​IMG]

The rears arrived a couple of days ahead of the front pair, so I didn't get a picture of all 4 before putting them on.

I replaced the soft brake lines on all four corners. The rear lines were kind of a pain, but wow. The front lines are a nightmare. There's just no room under that front fiberglass tub to get a wrench to turn. It took about 30 minutes each side with the help of an 11 year old pair of hands to get the lines replaced. I also had to readjust my E-brake cables. A little fiddly but not too bad.

Now I have brakes to bleed, oil to change, and a plenum and throttle body to install. Flush the fuel system and go for a ride (I hope)!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. ME308

ME308 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Munich, Germany
    Full Name:
    Michael

great work ;-)

experiences for eternity !

hope you took tons of pictures

21. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Definitely creating memories that will last a lifetime!

22. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    PRICELESS!!!

23. Matto

Matto Formula 3

Dec 26, 2011
    Mooresville, NC USA
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    The photos that started the thread brought a big smile. You're onto a beautiful thing there. Enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

24. buzzdoc

buzzdoc Karting

Oct 28, 2016
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Michael
    We have a few issues we are working through, but we've been for a couple of short rides. I must admit to an incredibly stupid thing today. Thankfully we were 1/4 mile from home when it happened.

While we work, I left the fiberglass inner liners out of the rear wheel wells. I also haven't put the air duct to the oil cooler on the drivers side. Just short of the house, I heard a horrible noise and there was steam everywhere. The coolant line had fallen down on the tire, and the tire just rubbed a hole in it. What a sticky green mess!

Thankfully no harm done. It's a 10 minute fix and a lesson learned. But boy did I feel dumb...