328 dead battery | FerrariChat

328 dead battery

Discussion in '308/328' started by barabba, Jan 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    My 328 died. I didn't use it much due to winter time and the battery went flat.

Should I just disconnect the battery, since I'm not going to use it for the next few months ? is it just about removing the two cables ? Or just the red one should suffice (ie keep the ground connected) ?

Sorry if it's a stupid question...

Thanks.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2 miketuason, Jan 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    I would disconnect the ground quick disconnect or take it out of the car and put it on the automatic battery tender. The battery should be fully charged by the time you're ready to install it

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    There is a cable connector on the ground side to disconnect the battery from the car for long term storage. Use that. THen connect a battery charger to the battery for a couple days.

4. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    Thanks for the tip. I connected the CTEK charger to the battery using the eye hook connectors. When I power on the charger, though, it lits for a while but then it turns off after 30 seconds or so. Does that mean the battery is fried ? I think not somehow because I changed it last year and everything was fine until I left the car in the garage for like three weeks without driving it...

Am I missing something obvious ?

Thanks.

5. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Has your car got an alarm on it (or a tracker?) Either one will drain the main battery & in turn , if you don't have them connected to a battery its possible you will flatten/damage the internal/backup batteries in those.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Two possibilities:

1. The battery is so dead that it demands a very high current and the trickle charger cannot deliver it so it shuts off.
    2. Your connections are reverse.

7. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    I vote for # 1. You'll often need a "proper" charger if the battery charge has gone way low.

If/when it comes up to a good charge then go back to the trickle charger.

(I think there's an LED on the trickle charger that will tell you if the polarity is reversed).

What yelcab wrote.

8. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    OK, it may be 1, because the charger has a warning led to alert the connections are reversed.

Tomorrow I will try with a jump starter...hope that will work !?!

9. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    #9 eulk328, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    If you do NOT need to use the car immediately then get a "normal" battery charger (not a trickle charger) and then charge at the LOWEST setting (lowest current). The faster you charge any battery the more you reduce its overall life.

I would not try a jump start. Take the battery out of the car. Check the water level (if it is possible), clean the battery of dirt or grease and put it on a real charger.

A jump start should never be done on any car unless you are in a difficult situation without other options. This is especially true with the more modern cars. Your car is not "modern" but I would not do it.

FINALLY: drink a Felsenau Bärni and be happy and grateful you live in such a beautiful place.

10. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Once a lead/acid battery has been discharged completely, it should be replaced.

So get a new battery, and a disconnect like this one:

BATTERY MASTER DISCONNECT TOP POST CUT OFF SWITCH | eBay

Then run the car (or at least start the motor) once a week. Charge the battery once a month. Disconnect the battery when you are charging, and when the car is not in use.

Letting the car sit unused will generate all sorts of problems.

11. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    328's come factory-equipped with a disconnect.

12. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I wouldn't jump it either. As above, a CTek type charger will not charge a flat battery, you need a standard battery charger.

13. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    Yes, I know. And it's best not to use it. Get the aftermarket part listed.

14. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #14 Martin308GTB, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    The Euro-cars too?
    Anyway. I find the listed cut-off switch not suitable for the 308/328 cars because of access to the battery.
    I have installed this near the spare tire compartment, easily accessible after opening the hood, with a self made bracket:

https://goo.gl/images/tnnsla

Best Regards
    Martin

15. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Might be okay if the owner is willing to leave the spare tire out of the car for the winter otherwise not so good if you're going to remove it once a month. That sucker is heavy and you're in a compromised lifting position. You risk back injury, dropping it on a fender, leaning up against your paintwork unnecessarily etc. I've used the quick disconnect you refer to on other cars where it's easy to get to the battery. Worked fine. On the 328 I've always used the factory quick disconnect and never had a problem. It was made for the purpose and owners should stay familiar with its existence and location in the event of an un-fused short/electrical fire. In the event of an emergency, and possibly being in a panic mode, they should not be trying to get to a quick disconnect on the battery because they forgot about the factory disconnect.

16. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Yes (mine is Swiss market).

17. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    That is certainly what I would use if I did not have the 328 disconnect plug.

https://goo.gl/images/tnnsla

18. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    It just comes to my mind, that there's even a better version of this cut-off switch I showed avove. One, where the red key has an 'umbrella' to prevent moisture from rain or car wash from getting into the switch

https://goo.gl/images/aVrj0e

I was not aware of this, when I bought and installed mine. So I fitted a 'custom-made' umbrella using the rubber of an old track rod end :)
    Works perfectly. I need this, since I installed it outside the spare tire bucket and it can get a few drops through the fender vents in heavy rain or while washing.

Best
    Martin

19. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    auch schoen but I would want to keep the key in the switch in case of an emergency. Then you do not have to look for it or remember where you put it.

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I've never seen such nonsense over a dead battery. Just charge the battery and see how it goes from there. It will either be fine or it won't hold the charge. As for the OEM disconnect, that's what it's there for. Use it to disconnect the battery when the car will not be used for a couple of weeks or more. I don't drive my 308 that much any more and I use the disconnect after every drive. Been doing so for over 30 years.

21. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Yes of course. My key is always in the switch. But the first version I showed isn't waterproof. Not even with the key inserted. With my rubber 'umbrella' on the key it is. But only with the key inserted. The second version I showed even has a cover for making this thing waterproof without key.

Best
    Martin

22. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    It is not a worry. You will never get water inside of a Ferrari at the wrong place ;-)

23. Sean308

Sean308 Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2011
    Victoria, Australia
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I unplug the quick release negative earth socket after each drive and plug the battey into a battery maintaniner. I have a quck connect permanently connected to the battery terminals and run the extension up through the batter compartment lid then through one of the spokes in the spare tyre. So very easy this was, just open hood and plug straight in and disconnect the earth.

24. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Fine as long as you don't have an alarm or a tracker with its own backup battery that is charged from the cars electrical system.

25. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    and of course some people will be bothered by the clock being wrong each time.