V8 Throttle body manifolds | FerrariChat

V8 Throttle body manifolds

Discussion in '308/328' started by Telaio, Jan 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    #1 Telaio, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Brian Harper

Brian Harper F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2006
    San Jose area
    Full Name:
    Brian Harper
    Do those throttle bodies have fuel injectors built in? Or will there be a boss on the adapter?

3. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Yes Brian, the throttle bodies we use will have the injectors built in, the throttle body in the photos is a blank unit for development purposes only. We are using small 30 mm height units for this particular project as they offer us greater choice of trumpet / air box clearance. I hope this info helps, should you require further infos feel free to contact me, cheers Kev.

4. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Ambitious project. Good luck, I will follow

5. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    What injectors where you thinking of using?

6. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Jonny, I'm away travelling for a week, will respond on my return. Cheers Kev.

7. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    subscribed

8. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Kev,

Just as a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess), what is your anticipated 'Price Target?'

9. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Jonnny, please be advised that we will commence our dyno runs using 300 cc injectors, I hope this info helps you, cheers as ever, Kev.

10. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Having done this type of conversion recently on our 4L build, my hats off to you on this. It should pick up decent power on a stock engine, the bigger issue you'll run into is off-idle tip in and idle itself. Large TB's on these small engines result in very hard to control air flow dynamics.

Also just as a friendly heads up, it looks as though you're a business, nice restoration work BTW, love the use of 3D scanning tech. Anyway just tread careful on posts offering sales when you're a business and also not a subscribed member.

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    I can't speak for the OP but I would hazard a ballpark in the ~5k USD range to also cover EFI at the very least. Having done this exact setup on our 4L build I have a really good handle on the costs and all the little details to make it a 'swap' over. It's not cheap. It really cleans up the engine bay but there is a lot of parts that get removed and a lot of parts needed to make it fully functional.

The real bugger is that 3D printing is cheap for prototyping, we use it a lot. Final machining on a 5-axis mill is expensive. There are now materials for 3D printing that would work for final product in an engine bay environment but the costs of them are just as much if not greater then machined metals unless it's a really complex part. 3D printing is the future and it's frustrating that it's not developing faster to make it more cost sensible for small run custom work.

12. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Do you think 40mm DCNF TB's would be appropriate for the 3.2L (328)?

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Carbs are a bit different then EFI TB's. If you're talking about the weber carbs then no, the 40mm is not big enough, 42 minimum or 44 preferred.

For EFI TB's a 40mm throat is just fine. It'll come down to the idle circuit and progression holes if any for controlling off-idle response.

The more common EFI TB's like found on German marques is 50mm that's a massive TB's and the only reason it works just fine on the small displacement engines like BMW and Audi etc.. that they use drive by wire throttle control and variable valve timing.

14. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    Yes, was referring to Borla/TWM DCNF TB's, specifically.

Gracias

15. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi SMG, just had a look at your website and are interested in your 4lt engine, we have sent your company an E mail today requesting further infos and pricing, many thanks, Kev.

16. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    #16 Telaio, Aug 8, 2017
  17. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    were u running a idle circuit on your 4L built motor?

you can print 3D adapter parts to use as a casting pattern, it would save dramatically on milling time and do without a 5 axis. the bonus would be a period correct look without a shinny billet look for those who care about aesthetics.

I too i prefer focusing on high charge velocity with smaller TB's rather than high volume flow at peak rpm for the last few ponies with large tbs. i stop monkeying around with DCNF 40, 42, DCOE 40 45 and IDF, IDA 40 46 for nearly 2 decades now

im not sure if the if the drive by wire and the variable valve timing is the ONLY reason you can get away with large TB's. plenty of kids are running smoothly with 51mm tb's on sk2's without fly by wire or variable advance/retard valve timing. mapping and idle circuit are the key.

folks are also removing the throttle by wire on their e46 s54 motors for a cable system. some are doing it to save on cost of repairs while others want do away with the soft factory programed tip-in throttle response and to run a stand alone. they say e46 ecus are notoriously difficult to piggy back though i have no personal experience with this.

18. maxflynn

maxflynn Karting

Feb 9, 2015
    GTA
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi Kev,

Those pistons. Custom?

19. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Yes they are Carillo, cheers Kev.

20. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    #20 Telaio, Aug 17, 2017
  21. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    splendid looking motor and facility! thanks for sharing. can we get some numbers off of the dyno before and after?

22. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    interested in that too! You Plan to do a small batch in the future? or offer as a set maybe. Would be very tempting..

23. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Yes we will be only too happy to keep you informed so stand by, cheers Kev.

24. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Will keep you informed, cheers Kev.

25. Saabguy

Saabguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 28, 2012
    Shreveport, LA