It's so easy to forget | FerrariChat

It's so easy to forget

Discussion in '308/328' started by GrigioGuy, Feb 11, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    I'm embarrassed to say that my 328 has been parked since about June of last year. Over the last month or so I've been chasing down why it began running so poorly on its last trip last year. It's still not perfect, but new CIS vacuum hoses, new plugs, and re-insulated extenders has the thing streetworthy.

So today I took it out to get inspected and otherwise legal. I had forgotten the impact these thing have when they're rolling in the real world. Thumbs up, people asking questions at the gas station, further questions at the inspection station. Even worse, I had forgotten how much fun these "slow" cars are to drive.

I don't think I'll let 7 months pass by again without driving my Ferrari.

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Pretty much the same goes for the 308s and by any means, I don't think they're slow,
    Maybe you meant not quick but definitely not slow. But just the same they're a blast to drive.

3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm a new 308 owner so I haven't gotten to the point yet where I might "forget" but I do have a 1972 Alfa Spider that we owned for 37 years and yes, it has sat languishing for lengthy periods of time unappreciated so I can understand.

As for the Ferrari's being "slow" I see this nonsense mentioned every time one comes up for sale on Bring a Trailer - that a Toyota Camry could "blow it's doors off" and despite the fact that a 2017 V6 Toyota does have a similar 0 to 60 time there is no doubt as to how much of a doosh-bag you'd look like racing off from a stoplight against a 33 year old 308 in your new Camry.

Aside from that a quick bit of research revealed these 0-60 statistics for 1983:

Jalpa – 7.2
    911SC – 6.9
    308QV – 6.7
    Vette (84) – 6.6
    Camry – 12.4

4. Formula Uno

Formula Uno F1 Veteran

Oct 8, 2008
    New York City
    I love it when the haters talk about how "slow" our 308's are...I guess that it makes them feel better about themselves for capitulating to their wives and buying a BMW.

I wouldn't trade my 308 for a brand new Porsche, Lambo, A10, or any other soul-less car

5. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    There aren't slow Ferrari.

6. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    Did these things fix the issue or are you still chasing it?

Mine sits in the winter and it is easy to forget it's there. Start piling magazines and other stuff on it and soon enough, you have the makings of a barn find!

But when the cover does come off, it's like you just got a new car!

And yes, it still gets the rubber neck response on the road. :)

But not that slow. Still fast enough to get in big trouble. :)

-F

7. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    75% of the cars on the road are faster than a 328, but 328 was fast in its time when most street cars had 10+ 0-60 times and 308/328 was best looking car on road back then and still 25 years later still the best looking car on the road.

8. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Rob I agree to some point. My 308 was clocked at 150 mph and I believe it can go a little faster if push to the max. I don't think there's a lot of today's car that can go that fast. They can go quicker but not as fast.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    come on, what % of your diving can be at the top speed vs. the quickness? also the speedo on that era Ferraris get way off pretty quick along with a 328 being a handful anything over 115. Most cars these days are limited, but that are quicker and will be more stable at 110 than a 328 will.

10. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I guess the same percentage of most people today with newer car. Now 110mph isn't really that fast specially for a sports car like the 328. If a 328 is not stable at 110, I say there's something wrong with the car.

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I just know mine gets very light at 115, I don't think most 328 owners have had it much more than 100. It is solid, but after 115 it is quickly diminishing returns every mile an hour how much more light, loose, and the risks. I keep mine in the best condition and it works perfectly otherwise, I've tracked and autocrossed it multiple times and the suspension was flawless. My bet most 328's are in the same boat, but most owners don't take it there (or accurately). If they have taken it there and still don't think there are starting to be handling issues or risks, then that is the driver lacking.

12. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Rob, I hear the same issue with the 308 being light at that speed, I guess since I have the Koenig Specials deep front spoiler, is the reason why my car is stable at high speed. You think that could be it?

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    maybe? my only mods are +10-20 on the tires with factory rims. Not sure how much that would impact top speed, but maybe. certainly there are setup and alignment things that could improve your top speed handling, but I think on average our cars don't have a perfect alignment (even from factory) and aren't set up for top speed.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    FYI don't want people to think I'm negative about the 328, it is our favorite car. Jennie even said when I kick the bucket it would be the one car she keeps.

The Good
    • beautiful looks in 1980's that are proving to be timeless (hardly any cars from same period can say that).
    • near bullet proof driveline, body, and interior (no sticky problems!).
    • "fun" power lightweight.
    • classic Ferrari sound.
    • GREAT slow speed corner handling, before they started dialing understeer in to "help" the driver. Crescent Classic the curvy mountain roads the 328 kicked the ass of all the modern Ferraris that were heavier and didn't have the slow corner handling.

The Bad
    • Competitive acceleration in 80's, but 75% of modern street cars/trucks can kick its butt.
    • Speedo overestimates speed 5-7%.
    • 115+ MPH handling gets light and loose (speedo reading near 125 mph).
    • interference engine and rubber belts.
    • height limit exactly 6'1" with top on (I know because I'm 6'1").
    • braking gets fade quickly hard rallies or track driving.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    On the acceleration keep in mind book numbers R&T along with factory always the best achievable and it is easier to come closer to those numbers with modern cars and driver controls. I bet if all of us 328 owners downloaded a 0-60 app and went on the street for our best runs numbers would be 7-9 seconds. Someone doing that in a modern car would get closer to test numbers and it seems like all cars including trucks and sedans are getting 4-7 second 0-60's now.

16. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    I'm surprised to read this :

"Classic Ferrari sound"
    From my point of view it is THE lack of this car ( with OEM exhaust )

"Speedo overestimates speed 5-7%" Really ?!
    Really !? I was surprised several times because the speed indicated was precisely the actual speed. Compared with several GPS

Bertrand

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    we didn't have GPS first 10 years we owned the car, that's a good idea to test that, easy to do now.

18. eulk328

eulk328 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2005
    Full Name:
    F683
    There is a regulation in the U.S. (and similar in Europe) that a speedometer can read up to 10% fast. It must NEVER read slow. Not so easy back in those days to make it perfectly accurate so it was safer to make it read a little fast. I'm sure some ended up being quite accurate, by chance.

19. detroiter

detroiter Karting

Apr 30, 2013
    Munich, Bayern
    Full Name:
    Carter
    Yes my diesel Audi is faster, but that's not the point.
    In acceleration, I feel my 308 is limited by a slow-to-shift gearbox.
    In Autobahn top speed, I feel i need another gear, but it's not unstable by any means. Just that the engine is turning really fast at those speeds (Sodium Valves!?!)... and then the whole crash safety of a 308 versus that Golf that just passed me... There's no need to be hauling ass down the Autobahn in a 40 year old car.

20. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Last time I looked the speedo on my 328 was more accurate than most of the modern cars I've owned! At 80 its only about 2-3mph out against a GPS.

Agree with you about the handling over about 110 though. I've had it up to an indicated 135 on an Autobahn in Germany & that was quite quick enough!

...and it also needs a 6th gear or an overdrive. Being able to drop the revs by 4-500 or so on a long run would be a great thing.

21. cavolo

cavolo Rookie

Sep 18, 2016
    Chicago / Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Bart de Kool
    Ha, it's not about how fast it goes, it's about how good it feels and how satisfying it is to get it right when you drive it. If you want to go fast just get an R35 with flippers.

22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    exactly, blows my mind 308 and 328 owners look at adding 10-30 HP here and there. go buy a GranSport for $25k and have a 430 block with 400 HP/TQ no mods!

23. miketuason

Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ha, no thanks, I'm very happy and satisfied with my not so fast/quick 308 QV
    Like you said it's not all about the speed or how fast it goes. :)

24. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    #24 GrigioGuy, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The majority of it was a bad CIS vacuum line. It looked fine, but was cooked on the bottom side by the header. When I grabbed it the thing just shattered.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    We are all so biased.

Yet - it has been called "The greatest gate-shift ever". And it's pretty spectacular.

The noise is music. I had a friend in his WRX behind me (which I thought was loud), and I couldn't hear his car over my car.

My car was "down" for 15 months while I re-did vac hoses as well has had the carbs completely rebuilt. I haven't driven it enough since it has been back together. But, when I do drive it, I call it "soul restoration", because that's what it does for me.