Ferrari 308 2v engine mods | FerrariChat

Ferrari 308 2v engine mods

Discussion in '308/328' started by petesamsonite, Feb 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. petesamsonite

petesamsonite Karting

Jul 11, 2013
    Hello! Im not a mechanic, i have somebody else for that, but i have to order the parts, i have an extra 2v 308 fuel injected engine that i want to build to FIA spec for my carbed racecar, what are the main differences between carbed and fuel injected models and what do i need to reach about 320hp on the crank.

Thankful for all info!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

2. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Welcome..

The 2V can achieve ~320Hp at the crank. Keep in mind though it'll be a very peaky TQ curve, as in power will be from 5k to 8k rpm. Carb'd would be the easier route to go and probably a bit less expensive, EFI would be required to reach 300+Hp.
    High comp pistons, range 10:1 ~ 12:1 depending on cam profile
    shim under bucket followers and new springs

You could copy the Le Mans spec engine builds from the 308GT4.

3. petesamsonite

petesamsonite Karting

Jul 11, 2013
    But didnt michelotto carb cars have 320hp at the crank?

4. petesamsonite

petesamsonite Karting

Jul 11, 2013
    And the spare engine i have is fuel injected, can i put carbs on that without major mods

5. chrismorse

chrismorse Formula 3

Feb 16, 2004
    way north california
    Full Name:
    chris morse
    IIRC, the bottom end is the same, with the same compression ratio, but much more conservative cam timing to work with the CIS. You are going to have to do a full set of cams, likely a fair amount of porting work, possibly increasing the intake valve size. At the very least, you are going to want to get rid of the old sodium valves.

The required compression increase is probably going to need race gas and as long as you are doing that, you might as well go with a computer controlled ignition, (the dyno guys are going to thank you).

320 horse is probably going to take a larger aluminum radiator and more oil cooling.

Keep us posted, probably half the guys on this forum wished they could "go for it".
    Good luck,
    chris

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Yes you can put carbs on the 2V injected engines, need to swap out the injected manifold for the carb one and ofcourse get carbs. The injected cams will not get you the power you're looking for, you'd need P6 or a custom grind.

If you're looking for an early race spec engine I just finished assembly on a 1974 GT4 Le Mans spec one, sadly it is not dry sump though. The heads, cams and carb setup are correct though.

I think the Michelotto Group B rally cars only made ~280 Hp for the 2V and 310Hp for the quattrovalve.

do you have to comply with FIA homologation rules?

7. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Look at formula gt in Germany they are getting 340bhp out of 2v motors, but big cam lobes, hc pistons, shim under etc, also very peaky.

8. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    #8 Albert-LP, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    Michelotto 308 2v Gr.4 had 305 Hp @8000 RPM, 10.5 CR. RPM useful range: 3500-8300. Kugelfischer fuel injection. This 35 years ago: with updated low losses pistons, better aluminum Nickasil slivers with 82 mm bore (2999 cm3), DLC camshafts, better ignition, I would say 320-330 Hp is possible and not too difficult even with standard downdraft 40 mm Weber carbs

ciao

9. petesamsonite

petesamsonite Karting

Jul 11, 2013
    I must be possible to comply with group B specs, but as i understand there where like no rules in group B, the though regulations where in Group 4

10. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Hej Pete, the 2V heads don't flow well and there are a few good threads on this subject. My brother in law in Göteborg has a flow bench and does heads if you want them ported and optimized. CAT cams have some pretty agressive profiles and I'd change the rods as well as pistons, skim block/heads and use Cometic gaskets, balance everything to be sure (incl. crank with pressure plate), programmable ignition if it's allowed. Lycka till!

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Personally I would not use CAT cams for a spec race engine. I looked into CAT a couple yrs ago and they could not meet our demands. Given the specialized mfg nature of Ferrari camshafts there are 3 grinders that I know of that I would let touch a Ferrari cam and all of them specialize in racing. For most street builds CAT cams would most likely work just fine, for racing and running an engine at near full tilt for long periods of time I'd prefer to have a camshaft that I'm not worried is going to fail.

Ferrari stock rods are really stout, unless one is changing out the bore and stroke significantly the stock rods will do just fine. Definitely replace the pistons for newer though

Unless there is damage I don't recommend skim cutting the block or heads, I know water corrosion can cause pitting, if it's bad enough I recommend having those areas welded up then cut back down but avoid removing any more material then absolutely needed.

12. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    Scott, which three cam grinders do you recommend?

Pete, CAT does custom grinds and can design profiles to match your specific needs. They use new billets and I was very impressed by the finish of the ones I got. You could talk to Enem or check if Janne at Ellemann Jakobson in Partille is still grinding cams but I suggest you find someone to run some simulations first based on your needs and the limits of the regulations.

13. MickyB

MickyB Karting

Aug 21, 2016
    Hungary
    I'm new here but has a bit of experience building race engines.
    I made some alfa nord engines too for histo racing, which has been built
    after measuring the internals and run a lot of simulations.Alfa and the 308 2v engines has the same architecture, so they are great comparison. The result was
    aprox 100hp/L on them. After the engines built 12:1 compr high lift cams
    (catcams :)). with weber cars etc the dyno results were very close to the simulations.
    1.6L a bit over 160 the 2l over 190... I could check the engines after races with endoscopic
    camera and saw bad things..
    The problem is that the hemi style combustion chamber is almost the worst ever made, it
    is not very efficient nor compact so you cannot push the compr high enough for a race
    specs cams needs. so in real life the 100hp/l is possible but will lose power very much
    after each use... I can explain it later if interested.
    I use catcams many times their parts has great quality, i reached 500hp/l with turbo
    engines and 140hp/l on n/a.... sometimes over 10k rpms....
    I will use their custom grind on my project too,my plan is to share the project
    on this forum too...

14. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    Elgin and Web, I'm not at liberty to disclose the 3rd, hope you understand.

15. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    later 4v 308's were group B, it didnt make much more than the gr4 2v cars which were more extensively modified due to having to retain stock plenum and mild modified injection.

if you want a true racer special you need to homologated it with 200 units

16. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    #16 cavallo_nero, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This setup has been bulletproof on my euro carby 308. The hardest part is getting all new linkage correct and lever arms made properly. Getting manifolds made (if one needs to )and bolting them on is the easy part. Luckily, most of my linkage bits came from Borla (formerly twm)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    And increasing to 3.5 liters.